What focal lengths on which body for wedding ceremony?

MOREGONE

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I wanted to see what camera/lens configurations others would use for a wedding ceremony with my gear bodies and lenses.

Bodies//
D600
D90

FX Lenses//
50 1.8
Tamron 28-75 f2.8
Tamron 70-200 f2.8

DX Lenses
35 1.8
Tokina 12-24 f4
Tamron 17-50 f2.8

My thinking is D90 with the 35 and the D600 with the 28-75. Feel like I should be using the 70-200 but wouldn't want it is my primary on the D600 and think the speed of the prime will help the D90. Its not a church but the lighting is not great. Flash is allowed but I plan to use it sparingly.

How about the D600 with the 28-75 and the D90 with the 17-50 f/2.8? Not really sure why you'd even want to shoot the D90 when you have a D600 available. If the D90 needs a prime to "help it", I would not use the D90.

Lighting aside, I would tend to put the 70-200 on the FF body and the 17-50 on the DX body to give you the greatest versatility. My experience has been that with the exception of the groups/formals, longer tends to be more useful for most weddings than wide.

Lighting aside, I would tend to put the 70-200 on the FF body and the 17-50 on the DX body to give you the greatest versatility. My experience has been that with the exception of the groups/formals, longer tends to be more useful for most weddings than wide.

Thanks. I haven't shot a ton of weddings so I appreciate hearing what others would do. I forgot to mention the 17-50 hasn't been working great so I shy away from using it. But do think that would be a winning combo and I may got for it.

Ever since getting the D600 the D90 has felt 'blah'. But I know I would benefit from having multiple focal lengths covered. With the right lighting the D90 does still pull some excellent images though.

unless the venue is big, and your required to stand way in the back, I would go with the D600 and the 28-75.
Its better to be up closer to your subjects if at all possible, rather than way back somewhere sniping with a long tele zoom.
less chance of something getting in the way of your shot.

Thanks. I haven't shot a ton of weddings so I appreciate hearing what others would do. I forgot to mention the 17-50 hasn't been working great so I shy away from using it. But do think that would be a winning combo and I may got for it.

Ever since getting the D600 the D90 has felt 'blah'. But I know I would benefit from having multiple focal lengths covered. With the right lighting the D90 does still pull some excellent images though.

yup. this was shot with a D90 in the worst lighting condition any photographer will ever have to shoot in.
Single SB700 on camera with large bounce card in front of upwards facing flash.
not too bad for a "blah" camera. :D

View attachment 50666

yup. this was shot with a D90 in the worst lighting condition any photographer will ever have to shoot in.
Single SB700 on camera with large bounce card in front of upwards facing flash.
not too bad for a "blah" camera. :D

View attachment 50666

Agreed. In the tunnel of an aquarium would be a unique area for a wedding shoot, thats for sure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back