What fuji lens should I buy for GFX50R ?

papajay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking at trading in my XT2 for the GFX50R and am wondering about the lens lineup as I dig deeper into the Fuji system. I definitely want the GF63 mm, may be it is a pretty good kit lens.Thanks in advance for your help.

AFAICS, but I dont own that system yet, even if I would if I had the necessary budget:

The GF 45mm f2.8 is the best of an array of extremely amazing lenses that is the current Fujnon GF lenses. Extremely sharp, extremely good color reproduction.

The GF 250mm f4 OIS, GF 110mm f2 and GF 23mm f4 lenses are also all exceptional and can only be very highly recommented. These are the four lenses I would personally get.

The zooms GF 32-64mm f4 and GF 100-200mm f5.6 OIS are also excellent, very close to prime lenses, as it is custom for medium format zooms. Highly recommented especially if you do landscape.

The GF 63mm f2.8 and GF 120mm f4 OIS macro arent bad, not even by a long shot, but among the extreme level of the rest they only qualify for a somewhat disappointing "very good".

That brand new "cheap" GF 50mm f3.5, well, I havent heard any independent review or got to seen a good collection of example images yet, but give the record of Fujifilm, optimism is justified.

If you want tilt/shift, you'll need tilt/shift adapters and medium format lenses.

A cheap solution to lenses for GF is using adapters to small format lenses. Many prime lenses work quite well on GF and have no problem filling the frame. When in doubt, crop the image, or stop the lens down.

Using a M42 to Fujifilm G or a Nikon F to Fujifilm G adapter, and old all manual lenses from the 1950s to 1980s, you can get some amazing lenses for dirt cheap for Fujifilm GFX.

P.s.: A fair warning, medium format isnt good for all subjects. This is a system specifically optimized for maxium image quality. For example, if you want to shoot sports, other systems will be far less painful to use.

Last edited:
I own the 63 and it's a fine lens. BUT the 45 is optically superior. I bought the 63 because it is my most used focal length in the past year and a half, shooting what I mainly intend to use this camera for. I was worried about it too because of what I was reading. Glad I stuck to my thought process, it really feels normal to me.and the image output is breath taking. I rented the 45 and it is flat out incredible but I just didn't feel a need for it having the 63. Not that I couldn't use the 45, it just not how I want to view things at this time.

I also bought 100-200 zoom for the same reasons. For me, it's about how I visualize things and the approach to making an image... So I shoot a lot of 135 film and 50 was my most used focal length along with the 50-135 or 80-200 zoom. With my crop sensor digital it was my 35 and 55-200. Its a lot of money to spend so I am being very selective in my lens choice's.

Hope it helps.

I own the 63 and it's a fine lens.

My posting didnt suggested otherwise.

I merely said its the weakest of these lenses.

I didnt said it was a bad lens.

Quite on the contrary I pointed out at least two times that all these lenses are on a very high level.

They arent optically behind Leica M, Leica S, the Schneider Optics lenses for Phase One, or the Zeiss/Fujifilm lenses for Hasselblad H. And they are cheaper than any of these.

I also said the 63mm is "merely a very good lens".

I own the 63 and it's a fine lens.

My posting didnt suggested otherwise.

I merely said its the weakest of these lenses.

I didnt said it was a bad lens.

Quite on the contrary I pointed out at least two times that all these lenses are on a very high level.

They arent optically behind Leica M, Leica S, the Schneider Optics lenses for Phase One, or the Zeiss/Fujifilm lenses for Hasselblad H. And they are cheaper than any of these.

I also said the 63mm is "merely a very good lens".

??? I had no issue at all with what you said. Totally agreed. I wanted to to share with the OP on why and how I decided on the focal length and lens choice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back