What in-camera processing should I use for an airshow?

gdotts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
NIkon D800 & Sigma 150-600mm contemporary lens are my main equipment. Going aperature mode f8-f11, but what Nikon Picture control should I shoot in? I have for post processing, if I need Lightroom, Nikon NX and Photoshop Pro 2019. PLease advise... what do you sugest?

Thank you!

Personally, I’d shoot manual; or aperture priority for static objects, shutter speed priority for moving objects.

I used NX2 for a couple years before getting Lightroom. If I shot JPEG instead of raw, I probably wouldn’t use it very much. I don’t use Photoshop that often for photography.

Another vote for raw and manual, if post is needed I prefer Lightroom.

I'd leave of any but the most basic camera processing.
IMO for propellor air craft you want a shutter speed between 1/100 & 1/500 or the propellers will be stopped & it just looks wrong. (1/500 only works for high performance aircraft, while helicopters need much slower, these all need panning)
For jets I normally shoot near wide open, DOF is not an issue and there's typically little visible movement to catch, so you want the fastest practical shutter speed.
FWIW I usually shot JPEG, shutter priority for props & aperture priority for jets (this makes a quick switch between modes).

I have used various versions of Photoshop Elements for many years...

Not exactly what I ment. Shoot AIRSHOWS in: Picture control available: Standard...Neutral...Landscape...Vivid...Portrait in-camera settings for a Nikon.

Not exactly what I meant. Shoot AIRSHOWS in: Picture control available: Standard...Neutral...Landscape...Vivid...Portrait in-camera settings for a Nikon.
I would run some tests in Standard, Neutral and Vivid, and choose the one I preferred. Vivid should probably only be used on a cloudy day, but it depends on your personal taste - exaggerating colors of these aircraft often works well. For what it's worth, I prefer Standard setting, but I'm using Leitz Telyt and Novoflex lenses - I don't know how the Sigma renders colors. Bottom line, set it as you like.

I have just changed all my camera gear of 40 years from Canon to Nikon, sideline football photographer for 40 years...1,000,000 pictures shot over the years. I had all ways noticed how bland Canon has its RAW and Jpeg pictures out of the camera unpost processed and how beautiful all Nikon owners just plain shots came out. The beautiful colors and sharpening right out of the camera from novice camera people... I made the switch! I am drawn to "vivid" Picture Control setting but find it sometimes too Vivid. Just thought I would ask some of you guys what your Picture Control setting were for airshows. Thank you for you help!

I would shoot shutter priority, single point continuous focus, auto WB (you can change in post) or daylight or cloudy depending on the weather, low ISO. Use a shutter speed that will freeze motion but slow enough to leave a little bit of motion blur on the propellers. I shot an air show recently with both a Sigma 150-600/Sony A7R3 & Pentax K-1ii w/ 150-450.

If the planes do a low pass, try to pan & capture it as well as focusing on take off/landings, look for shadowing on the aircraft as the turn & bank (looks more dramatic vs. if they're just flying in s straight line) if you can.

I don't use in any in camera processing or film simulations, though if it's an WW2 era plane, old film simulations would look interesting. If you also save in RAW, you can always apply something from NIK Collections or some recipe.
289977222_3150714211857483_5823579761404687047_n.jpg
285835381_3136480473280857_2282602170680684400_n.jpg

I have just changed all my camera gear of 40 years from Canon to Nikon, sideline football photographer for 40 years...1,000,000 pictures shot over the years. I had all ways noticed how bland Canon has its RAW and Jpeg pictures out of the camera unpost processed and how beautiful all Nikon owners just plain shots came out. The beautiful colors and sharpening right out of the camera from novice camera people... I made the switch! I am drawn to "vivid" Picture Control setting but find it sometimes too Vivid. Just thought I would ask some of you guys what your Picture Control setting were for airshows. Thank you for you help!
FYI, The Vivid (or other setting) does not affect the RAW file from what I understand. Only the JPEG processed file.
I normally have my cameras set to Vivid too for the JPEGs. but I also then bring those into Lightroom and tweak them too.

Nikon and Canon have Custom settings one can use too to tweak the Vivid setting.
In my D750 for example, if I select in the Menu Vivid, if I Adjust (scroll right) I can adjust my Vivid setting (or any other Picture Control type).
So if you think your Vivid is too Vivid you can tweak it down to your liking.

The Canon I was using before (not mine, borrowed) I was able to adjust the Vivid type processing to my liking.

edit: oops, a couple months late.

Last edited:
A fast, fixed 400mm f/2.8 lens is ideal for an air show. It's fast enough to catch everything at ISO 100, and the perfect focal length most of the time. With a 80-400mm or 100-400mm I'd have to shoot at ISO 400 at f/5.6 for the same shutter speed, if I have sunlight as I do at Miramar in San Diego, California. For more you can also visit edge underwater photography.

Most reactions

Back