What is causing this?

binga63

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I am getting a pale mark dead center in some of my pics, I am not shooting into direct sunlight, in fact the sun is behind me in this shot... can some one shed some light on this please...
Is it a lens issue? 50mm 1.8d Nikon or a sensor issue D90... or a dumb shooter issue.. Australian 49 :D

Attachments

• $DSC_0028 (2).jpg
    $DSC_0028 (2).jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 146
Hmm, there is nothing wrong with your camera, it is something on it. There may be something on your lens, check it!
And also take your lens off to see the inside mirror, there may be something there too!

i am going to get it cleaned tomorrow .. to see if that fixes the problem....I prefer not to touch it.... voids the warranty :D

Hmm, there is nothing wrong with your camera, it is something on it. There may be something on your lens, check it!
And also take your lens off to see the inside mirror, there may be something there too!
Anything on the mirror will not show up in the images. The mirror moves out of the light path before the shutter opens.

Do you have a filter of any kind on the lens, like say, a UV filter? If so, remove it and see if that improves the IQ.

That's strange, if anything turns up on my mirror it will turn out on the pic..
No, it can't. If something is on the sensor it will show up on the image, but something on the mirror cannot. The mirror flips up out of the light path before the shutter opens and drops back down after the shutter closes. The mirror is never in the light path when the shutter is open so it is physically not possible for anything on it to show up in the image.

at first i thought it was the filter so i took it off.... but it appeared again..it doesn't seem to appear in all my pics... or maybe the colours hide it...?... but i notice it more when i shoot landscapes and it shows up in the sky always dead centre.. it is dominant when using f22 but reduces as i open up the aperture....

Try a different lens and see if it shows up. If it does it's most likely something on your sensor that a thorough cleaning will probably take care of. Done properly you can clean it yourself however if you don't know what you are doing please ask first or don't try it.

Nothing is wrong with your camera, and nothing is wrong with the lens, though you could check and make sure the rear lens element is clean.

What you are seeing is a common issue with the inexpensive Nikon 50 mm f/1.8D when it is used at small lens openings for deep DoF.

Nothing is wrong with your camera, and nothing is wrong with the lens, though you could check and make sure the rear lens element is clean.

What you are seeing is a common issue with the inexpensive Nikon 50 mm f/1.8D when it is used at small lens openings for deep DoF.

makes sense...you pay for what you get...

the 50mm 1.8 nice images but with limitations ... i will just make sure that i work around those .. happy with it :)

thanks for the advice

Does it happen with other lenses?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back