What is going on with my light meter?

AMOMENT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was photographing outside today at around 5 o'clock. I noticed that even though my light meter was measuring spot on "0" which is what I wanted because I was spot metering off of the children's faces to expose right for their skin, when I looked at the photo it was so underexposed! I then switched to matrix metering and it still didn't look right despite reading correct on my meter. By correct I mean "0." I quickly switched to auto and noticed that everything on my meter was reading underexposed. Does this seem right? If it is on auto than wouldn't the light meter not be drastically reading over or under exposed because the camera is automatically perfecting the exposure? I also tried to shoot aperture priority (I usually shoot manual) and again, my meter was way off. I am possibly misunderstanding this and whether or not your meter is supposed to be calibrated perfectly (give or take) Can someone help?

I want to run a focus test on my 50mm 1/.4 lens. Even when I am shooting at 5.6 aperture with a shutter of about 1/400 and an ISO of around 300-400, my pictures look washed out and blurry. I will post a few originals. I have my settings set up in camera to be sharper and more vivid to compensate for this. I have noticed that in areas of low contrast in my photos, my camera tends to wash things out. (or I DO?!)

Last but not least. I have been working with my speedlight. This evening I really needed some fill flash outdoors at around 6pm. I snapped on my SB700 because anything is better than a pop up. There really is no where to bounce it off of outdoor. Should I get a diffuser so that I canpoint it directly at my subject without the whole "deer in headlights look?" I am usually photographing constantly moving subjects; like children. So, setting up a scene is really not going to be ideal.

Thanks! Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

Where are the photos that you took so that we can deduce what you're talking about?

People who post elaborate scenarios of user error or camera failure usually do not post photos pertaining to what happened, and it drives me insane.

To me, it sounds like your exposure compensation is biased to the negative side.

Firstly, lets talk about the topic of metering. Did you know that your camera is programmed to get incorrect exposures (in many situations)? That's right, the only time that getting to zero will give you an accurate exposure, is when you are metering on something that is middle grey. How to use a Grey Card ~ Mike Hodson Photography

So if your children have typical Caucasian skin tones (a guess based on your avatar) then for 'proper exposure', you would likely need to be at around +2/3 or +1 on your meter (when spot metering on the skin). So that may be part of your problem. As mentioned, you may also have your exposure compensation set to something negative, causing the images to be darker than you'd want. Nikon has a weird quirk in that you can actually set the EC when in manual mode, which just shifts the meter, which can lead to people being unaware that it's set at all.

But yes, we can't really diagnose the problem unless we can see the problem for ourselves.

Last but not least. I have been working with my speedlight. This evening I really needed some fill flash outdoors at around 6pm. I snapped on my SB700 because anything is better than a pop up. There really is no where to bounce it off of outdoor. Should I get a diffuser so that I canpoint it directly at my subject without the whole "deer in headlights look?" I am usually photographing constantly moving subjects; like children. So, setting up a scene is really not going to be ideal.
If you're truly just using it for fill light, then it's OK to be on-camera with no diffuser. The key will be that you find a nice balance between the ambient light and the flash. If you don't use enough ambient and use too much flash, then that's where you get the deer in the headlights look.

Your SB-700 has a built-in bounce card. Use it. It also came with a built-in diffuser and a snap-on frosted diffuser. Use those to, they work quite well.

Shoot manual and chimp. Although I use a sekonic light meter, I'd chimp if my pics weren't right.

So helpful! Converting my RAW images now so I can upload. I really appreciate the help! Be back in a moment with photos depicting scenario.

photobucket has some perpetual ad going that will not allow me to "x" out of and upload.

Here are two examples.

15-2.jpg

16-2.jpg

As you can see these are gravely underexposed.

I'm thinking of getting a grey card. The filters my SB700 came with were an orange and green one. I did not see a bounce card and still don't. I have everything together too.

one more.
17-2.jpg

In both 1 and 2 the time of day was around 4pm and pretty well lit outside. (sunny day) I deffinitely need tons of fill light but I wanted you to see what I was talking about. The sun was located behind me as I was shooting. In 3, the sun was localted behind the girl so obviousely that created some shadows and need for major fill light. But, hopefully if you see these originals (hangs head in shame) maybe you will be able to see what I mean. I know it is my mistakes, not the camera.

P.S: I know my compostion and cropping was off......These were throw away photos but showed what I wanted you to see.

Was the first one supposed to be flash? Flash did not fire!

#2.. Flash did not fire also....

Your SB-700 has a bounce card.. RTFM! When you pull out the wide-angle diffuser on the flash (top of flash) the bounce card comes out too! The gels that came with the flash are for specific lighting situations... RTFM (That is READ THE F'n Manual.. in case you don't know that either!)

I know you recently went PRO on your website.. and are now charging for your shoots! This is unbelievable!

the problem could be:

#1 (your meter is messed up.. UNLIKELY!)

#2 You need to learn how to use your meter... MOST LIKELY!

#3 You need to learn how to use your flash.... VERY LIKELY! You don't even know where the bounce card is.. RTFM!

Last edited:
one more.

In both 1 and 2 the time of day was around 4pm and pretty well lit outside. (sunny day) I deffinitely need tons of fill light but I wanted you to see what I was talking about. The sun was located behind me as I was shooting. In 3, the sun was localted behind the girl so obviousely that created some shadows and need for major fill light. But, hopefully if you see these originals (hangs head in shame) maybe you will be able to see what I mean. I know it is my mistakes, not the camera.

Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, return light not detected

This is typically caused by either too much distance.. incorrect bounce technique... (my call on this one!)

Last edited:
Here...

SB-700 (taken with cell phone..... ) YOur SB-700 Bounce card... and the Wide Angle Diffuser.....
View attachment 6319

Your filters (off the nikon website for the SB-700) (you use these to match the flash to the existing light after you set your WB to the existing light so that you don't get mixed light sources... but you may not understand what that means! If not.. ask!)

View attachment 6320

Last edited:
I'm surprised you didn't simply look at the back of the camera while on the shoot and compensate for the under exposure. Thats what I meant by manual mode and "chimp".

Most reactions

Back