What Lens Would You Recommend For Me?

ShaggyHawkings

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm sure there has been loads of posts similar to this, however when having a look through them I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I bought an EOS 400d a few months ago and have been using two 2 lenses that my dad use to use with his EOS 650, which must be about 20 years old now.

Lens 1 - Canon EF 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5
Lens 2 - Canon EF 70-210mm f/4 Macro 1:4

I would like to buy a new lens to play about with however i am unsure what kind to get.

I was thinking about going for a wide angle lens and don’t really want to be spending more than £150 (about $250)

Currently I mostly take life and portrait photos and would like to start shooting a few more landscape and night shots.

What lenses would you recommend?

Also, would I notice a difference in image quality from a new lens, compared to my 20 year old ones?

Thanks in Advance! Ross

how wide are you talking?

there are some very-wide manual-focus lenses around for that kind of price.
for example, google.. FISHEYE ZENITAR M 2.8/16 LENS PENTAX M42 SCREW MOUNT

you'd need an m42 mount-to-eos body adaptor. price between UKP 10-40
depending on whether you want 'focus-confirmation' or just a basic adaptor.

on your canon dslr, this 16mm lens would be the similar to a 26mm lens on a 135 film SLR.

For your price range your pretty limited for getting a new wide angle lens. Even on the used market you would be limited to used third party lenses for the real wide ones.

One thing you might like though is a faster lens. Like Canons 50mm f/1.8. Having a faster lens will open up some more possibilities with natural light shots. And even though its a very inexpensive lens, it has very good qualities. With lenses you get what you pay for. But with Nikon and Canon's 50mm f/1.8's they have a very good following.

You might be able to pick up a used 18-55 kit lens that someone has already replaced for little money. But it's not going to be a stellar performer, but will give you good shots and a wider view. If you look in your local adverts and want ads, you might be able to get the 18-55 and 50mm for your price range??

For double your budget, I'd take a hard look at the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Di-II.

For right at your budget, you could get the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. Because this is the kit lens shipped with newer Canon cameras, you may be able to get a very good price on a used copy from someone who has upgraded.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for your replies.

I was looking at fish eye lenses but i don't really want the distorted style that they create, pictures taken with them always remind me of skateboarding for some reason. Thanks for the info though!

I was thinking about the Canon 50mm f/1.8. From the reviews that i have read on them it seems that you cant go wrong with one.

+1 what Ben says. apparently the 'Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 EFS IS', is optically better than the earlier, non-IS kit lens. but note that 'efs' are incompatible with any future 'full-frame' sensor (or 135 film slr) canon you might aquire. i sold all my AF canon lenses but i kept that one. quite ok for general stroll-around photography. nice colors. ok bokeh. not heavy chromatic aberation, distortion etc.

edit: skateboarding ha! yea i know what you mean :)) although on your canon it wouldn't be so extreme, i think.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys.

The Canon kit lens looks quite a good option, didn't think of that.

For taking indoor night photography would the 50mm Canon be suitable or do you think the focal length would be too much.
Been asked to take pictures of a birthday party in a few months and the large aperture of the 50mm is attracting me.

If only i was rich! :sad anim:

well.. it would be as an 80mm on your camera with the 1.6 crop factor, compared to an film slr. quite narrow context. the 18-55 would give you everyone sitting around a typical family dining table. the 50 would give you more likely portrait/headshots and isolated details.

Thanks Guys.

The Canon kit lens looks quite a good option, didn't think of that.

For taking indoor night photography would the 50mm Canon be suitable or do you think the focal length would be too much.
Been asked to take pictures of a birthday party in a few months and the large aperture of the 50mm is attracting me.

If only i was rich! :sad anim:

For $250(I would write 150 pounds but I have no idea on how to get it to come up with my US based keyboard :) ) I would bet there is a good chance you can get both (one or both used). I know prices are higher for you though.

Since you already have slower lenses to use (28-70 f/3.5-4.5) for me it makes more sence in buying the 50mm f/1.8 first if you had to choose. The 18-55 would only be getting you an extra 10mm of coverage. And for a party situation, the 50mm f/1.8 may allow you to go without using a flash. I personally would lean you towards the 50mm if I were next to you trying to help you spend your money. :mrgreen:

Set your 28-70 to 50mm and try it. See if it is something usable to you or not, then decide.

I think the larger aperture of the 50mm is swaying it.

Just tested at 50mm and the focal length is quite rubbish for a group shot, however i think it would come in handy for other aspects and i cant really find a bad review about it.

How much difference would i notice with an IS lens? i have never tried one.

quote..
Canon’s latest optical Image Stabilizer (IS) technology provides up to 4-stop compensation for image blur caused by camera shake and slow shutter speeds. Photographers normally shooting handheld at 1/250 sec can switch on IS to obtain a similarly steady and blur-free result with a shutter speed of just 1/15 second.

Canon EF-S 18-55 mm IS and 55-250 mm IS: Digital Photography Review

i was using it the other day, in a nuclear bunker =) shooting 1/8th of a second handheld. seemed to work ok.

Blimey, that sounds quite impressive.

Why couldn't it of been an easy decision!

A nuclear bunker! that seems pretty extreme! doubt im gonna need it to stabilise to that degree, but i suppose you never know! lol

Most reactions

Back