• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tkaat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
okay this has been bugging me since I saw a survey a few weeks back on the shooting modes different people use. Most shot mostly in auto (no surprise there) but out of like the 15000 (maybe exaggerating a little) less than 200 shoot in manual.
I, myself, shoot in manual on any camera I used unless I was in a hurry. And since then I have been trying other modes like Aperture priority, program and shutter priority.

My Question is what mode do you mostly shoot in.
You don't have to write a sentence just the mode (if you want the reason also)

I shoot 90% manual. The other 10% goes between Tv and Av...depending on the lighting.

The question does not make alot of sense to me. I would think alot of us choose the mode depending on the shooting situation. I will use Aperture or Shutter priority or Manual depending on what I am imaging.

Av, Tv, M, and P for general shooting..It depends on my situation...

I can clearly state that I shoot MOST all manually.

For the swim meet documentation I decided (for ONCE) to go to AV mode to maintain a DOF deep enough for zoomed-in photos and be QUICK-QUICK-QUICK (which was essential).

For a stage performance I once decided for TV mode so the camera'd not expose for any longer than 1/100 second.

But other than that ... manual.

Manual when using flash, which is fairly often...and either M or Av when not using flash.

Most often? Probably manual but I change allot and on the fly. There needs to be an "All of the above" vote option. :D

If I have a little control over the lighting, then manual. If the lighting keeps changing, then Av. If I am trying to show or stop motion, Tv.

^^^ All in Canon terms ;)

Glad to see no Autos on this board!! :lmao: I checked Aperture priority.

Break down. about:
75% Aperture priority
25% Manual

Im in the all of the above group, except for the Auto mode. If I want to shoot Auto then I will go to P&S cameras.

Manually, although if I'm feeling lazy automatic.

Just curious, but why does it matter what someone else uses?

Finally.

I honestly think it's part of the development of the new "serious" photographer:

Stage one: Full auto, bad pictures
Stage two: Rebellion against any automation, belief that full manual is the only choice for "real" or "pro" photographers
Stage three: Realization that the camera is simply a tool to capture images, and that what you get matters more than how you get it

I started in serious photography with a digital SLR. I went through these phases. I now use everything from said digital (usually on aperture priority) to a fully manual 35mm SLR to an old rangefinder from 1963 (okay, that's getting sent back, but you get the point). It doesn't matter what settings you use. It matters what your images look like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back