Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Aperture priority

Votes: 41 50.6%
  • Other

Votes: 8 9.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I'm feeling generous today, I thought I'd do some quick examples. They are both SOOC and I have not altered or doctored them in any way. The first shot I shot in AV mode. I had my ap at 3.2. AV told me that my shutter should be 1/2000 but would widely leap at guesses at the slightest change of hand. I metered in the EXACT SAME SPOT for the shot I took in manual. I then fiddled with the 3.2 to try to get it out of underexposure and took about 5 pictures with the camera getting it wrong every time . Here is the closest it came. (No, I didn't bother with exposure comp)
IMG_3449.jpg

The next shot I did the same exact picture in manual. I metered off the same spot and it gave me a wild exposure. Obviously trying to take into account how bright it was on the right side of the frame (the window) and the darker (inside) [I spot metered for BOTH these shots, did not change metering modes, but with the Rebel, it has a very wide "spot", which is like 9%, makes spot metering harder). Here's where I say, um nope, I definitly know better than that and I went from an exposure suggestion of around 1/1000 down to 1/200! That is a HUGE difference and anyone can see why it is the better picture. This mode took me less than a minute, and 2 pictures taken.
IMG_3448.jpg

uh.... that's real generous Kelly.... do you want to explain now to the forum about how you doctored the first image by pulling the exposure compensation back by -2ev????

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
Image Date: 2008:07:14 21:36:04
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 50.0mm
CCD Width: 22.20mm
Exposure Time: 0.0003 s (1/4000)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: -2.00
White Balance: Manual
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

:confused:

What a very funny thread. :D

Chris, you can use my nails if you want. You gotta find your own rock though - I never lend mine out! :p

:lol: Damnit... and here I just sold my rock!

BTW... Bi... you aged! What happened?

So.... I gather you use Rock Priority mode instead of Hammer Priority??

:lol: Ok that was funny.

ahem - if you don't use exposure comp Kelly I think you might have twitched it on by accident one time - the camera keeps that exposure compensation on all the time - and retains it between turning off and on - so I think early on you used it by accident and its stuck!
The exposure meter in av and tv should always be in the centre - if its moved that means exposure compensation is on - its not showing the exposure you will get its showing the exposure it aiming for (the opposite of manual mode)

Right-o.
80 users have replied.
That should be considered to be "representative" ;).
Things have been discussed, things have gone silly ... looks like this thread has well run its course and may want to go to rest now. A padlock will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back