What Type of Lens For...

Rv5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I've been considering my first dslr purchase for sometime. I have been taking pictures for years, but with nothing more advanced than a sony cybershot. Im looking to step up my game a bit. After much searching through the forums, it seems like a d50 with the 18-70mm is a good solid start for the serious beginner.

I wanted to see if there was a good second lens that I should research based on the type of photography I will be doing. Off the top of my head I can think of the following that I would certainly be taking pictures of:
1) Love to go to the zoo and shoot animal shots
2) My other hobby is automobiles, so like to take pictures of my own cars, usually with an ocean backdrop.
3) In conjunction with automobiles, my family is heavily into amatuer road course racing whereby i would like to take action shots of them on the track from the stands or tower.
4) I am currently involved with managing a local band. I would be interested in taking still shots of the band while posing, but also action shots of them on stage.
5) Lastly, I have a possible European vacation planned for spring and would very much like to take landscape/mountain/scenary pics while there.

Would the d50 18-70mm combo be capable of taking these shots or would I need more lenses?
Thanks a bunch

the 18-70 could do all those things except perhaps #1 and #3. you'll want a longer (and perferably faster) lens for that. the cheapest you could get is probably some kind of 70-300 zoom.

also, maybe a 30 or 50mm/1.4 or 1.8 for the still portrait type shots.

a fast primary would be useful for taking shots of the band in low light. you may also want to consider a wide angle zoom, which would also work for the band, as well as the scenery.

very cool. i was considering purchasing a 70-300 right off with the camera and the 18-70. I hadnt considered a wide angle yet, but think i would get a lot of good use of that as well. thanks for the replies!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back