What would a first time wedding pro use? Nikon or Canon?

What would pro use for their first wedding?

• Total voters
EXACTLY! How can someone not like scrubs! it's hilarious!

Boing Fwip

The wedding camera of the future
robot_optik.jpg

Actually the camera you use is totally UNIMPORTANT.

What you know about Photography, Weddings both Portraits and Candids is MOST IMPORTANT. For many decades wanna be photographers have been asking similar questions and failing to get the job done as it should be. You can't LEARN to be a Professional by doing weddings.

The most important is top quality professional quality work, which has been done in the past with very limited quality cameras. I shot Wedding in the 40's and 50's with a twin lens reflex. Not the Rolli or most expensive one, but a Yashicamat and every shot was a keeper.

A good Photographer who knows what they are doing can do the job with virtually ANY camera. One who does not or has little and no experience will most always DISAPPOINT the Bride. Disappoint the Bride, you get no referrals. Remember they went to school with a lot of other women and will never refer a photographer who fails to do a top quality job.

One good wedding can put a photographer in business, with more referrals than you would realize. One failed Wedding and every person that Bride knows or talks with will create a reputation that may bankrupt you or even result in a lawsuit...

Go to a Photography school, if you can't then apprentice with the best Wedding Photographer in town. If you cant get work in a Studio as an apprentice by showing your current ability to take Portraits or Candids, FORGET Weddings. You do not yet have the ability to do one on your own.
The question, shows you are not even close to being ready.

Being a Professional Photographer is NOT just the ability to use an automatic camera to take photographs. Knowledge of the field of Wedding Photography is much more important, what candids to get and how to pose groups. Professional Wedding Photographers don't just get those shots by accident. They set up situations. A good Wedding Photographer is like the Director in a movie. They guide the Bride and Grooms family or relatives through it.

Many who thought they could do Weddings have wound up in small claims court because of their failures. But having to return the money is not the worst. The worst is that a Bride who on the most important day of their life, does not have the memories of that day.

I'd been a Professional for over 5 years with my own studio, before doing my first Wedding on my own. Had been working with a Wedding Photographer for five years... (ONE year should be the minimum requirement.)

My lead in to weddings was a contract to do the HS Graduation pictures for a school with 300 students in the graduating class and candids for the Year book, before becoming a Wedding Photographer. After that job, all the Girls in the Class began asking me to do their Weddings.

The most important part of being a Photographer is knowing the BUSINESS end of running a business. Over 60% of most who attempt to go into business fail, because they have no idea how to run a business. Probably more important than being able to capture a pleasing photo, is a business education.

Knowing all the laws related to a business, paperwork necessary, how to handle state and/or local and federal taxes. Where to get finished work processed. (A commercial processor who does a lot of Weddings.) How much to spend on advertising and where to spend it. (18-20% of gross income or more in the beginning.) The list just goes on, and on, and on. A good course in a school teaches you more than Photography or Posing and should include Business.

Over 60 years as a Professional, Ive now retired and shoot only what I want to spend my time on. Been traveling around the country Full Time in a MotorHome for 14 years now.

Leave it to this guy to muck up a perfectly good derailed thread with some polarized remarks. :lol:

Trek Rulz.

Anyone who doesn't watch Star Trek probably kicks puppies or something.

What you know about Photography, Weddings both Portraits and Candids is MOST IMPORTANT. For many decades wanna be photographers have been asking similar questions and failing to get the job done as it should be. You can't LEARN to be a Professional by doing weddings.

The most important is top quality professional quality work, which has been done in the past with very limited quality cameras. I shot Wedding in the 40's and 50's with a twin lens reflex. Not the Rolli or most expensive one, but a Yashicamat and every shot was a keeper.

A good Photographer who knows what they are doing can do the job with virtually ANY camera. One who does not or has little and no experience will most always DISAPPOINT the Bride. Disappoint the Bride, you get no referrals. Remember they went to school with a lot of other women and will never refer a photographer who fails to do a top quality job.

One good wedding can put a photographer in business, with more referrals than you would realize. One failed Wedding and every person that Bride knows or talks with will create a reputation that may bankrupt you or even result in a lawsuit...

Go to a Photography school, if you can't then apprentice with the best Wedding Photographer in town. If you cant get work in a Studio as an apprentice by showing your current ability to take Portraits or Candids, FORGET Weddings. You do not yet have the ability to do one on your own.

Being a Professional Photographer is NOT just the ability to use an automatic camera to take photographs. Knowledge of the field of Wedding Photography is much more important, what candids to get and how to pose groups. Professional Wedding Photographers don't just get those shots by accident. They set up situations. A good Wedding Photographer is like the Director in a movie. They guide the Bride and Grooms family or relatives through it.

Many who thought they could do Weddings have wound up in small claims court because of their failures. But having to return the money is not the worst. The worst is that a Bride who on the most important day of their life, does not have the memories of that day.

I'd been a Professional for over 5 years with my own studio, before doing my first Wedding on my own. Had been working with a Wedding Photographer for five years... (ONE year should be the minimum requirement.)

My lead in to weddings was a contract to do the HS Graduation pictures for a school with 300 students in the graduating class and candids for the Year book, before becoming a Wedding Photographer. After that job, all the Girls in the Class began asking me to do their Weddings.

The most important part of being a Photographer is knowing the BUSINESS end of running a business. Over 60% of most who attempt to go into business fail, because they have no idea how to run a business. Probably more important than being able to capture a pleasing photo, is a business education.

Knowing all the laws related to a business, paperwork necessary, how to handle state and/or local and federal taxes. Where to get finished work processed. (A commercial processor who does a lot of Weddings.) How much to spend on advertising and where to spend it. (18-20% of gross income or more in the beginning.) The list just goes on, and on, and on. A good course in a school teaches you more than Photography or Posing and should include Business.

Over 60 years as a Professional, Ive now retired and shoot only what I want to spend my time on. Been traveling around the country Full Time in a MotorHome for 14 years now.

Uh oh, serious guy alert.

I hate to admit it but I didn't read it. Too much of this reminds me of when people talk loud over you to get their point across.

I hate to admit it but I didn't read it. Too much of this reminds me of when people talk loud over you to get their point across.

It's almost as bas as TALKING LIKE THIS.

HELLO I JUST JOINNEDD YESTUURDAY AND CAN I RECIEVE SUM C&C ON THIS PICTURE I TOOK OF A FRIEND AND SHE LIKED IT SO NOW I QUIT BOTH MY JOBS TO BECOME A PROFFEZIONAL PHOTOG. WILL MY NIKON COOLPIX BE ENOUGH TO DO MY AUNTS WEDDING???? OR DO I NEED A D-S-L-R. WHAT DOES IT EVEN STAND FOR??????? ROLFCOPTER!!!

Uh oh, serious guy alert.

:lmao:
im going to thank you for your post that made me giggle.
eek i peed a little...so my pants do not thank you.:blushing:

^^^
Too much information. You could have kept that last part to yourself and none of us would ever have know...lol.

I could not disagree more. It's very important what you shoot with, if you want to be considered a "professional". If I showed up to a $10k wedding gig with a Nikon D90 vs. a Canon 1D I would be laughed out of the room. It's hard to direct family members for portraits over the roar of laughter. If you had ever shot a real wedding, you would know this.

I learned everything I know from shooting weddings. I bought a DSLR just to shoot a wedding. I got paid $200 for that gig. Now a few months later I'm pulling down phat cash for weddings and everyone calls me a "pro"... even my toughest critic, my mom, she calls me her "pro son" now. I've made it, and I did it without even knowing what a portrait was. It was all because I had a 1D, and that's a fact.

Man, what part of "expensive camera" don't you get? If you have a 1D the pictures make them selves. All you have to do his hit the shutter release and that beast cranks out some dope shots. Hell, half the time I leave the lens cap on by accident and my 1D still gets the pic and I make some phat cash off of it when I sell it to the bride.

Not true. My buddy bought a Nikon D300 when I bought my 1D and he flopped in the business where I'm making PHAT cash! We sat and talked about it, and we agreed - he didn't suck, his camera did. He's saving up for a 1D now. Soon he'll be pulling down the phat cash just like me.

I went to the school of hard knocks. I bought my camera and went to my first wedding the next day. Thank God I got a 1D or I would have been like all those losers out there with Nikons.

Pft, horse pucky. You've obviously never shot a real wedding. Watching the wedding singer on a 56" television and shooting pics of the movie doesn't count as having shot a real wedding. I give the bride and the groom a link to Amazon.com where they can buy a posing book for weddings. Then I make them pose their own damn famlies and my 1D does the rest. I just show up to collect the phat cash.

I've only been sued once, by a Nikon shooter. I was at his wedding and had my 1D in the car. I didn't even know my 1D shot the whole wedding while I wasn't paying attention. The bride saw my camera shooting her wedding and copied the CF card. That next week I got a check for some serious phat cash in the mail for the pics. The Nikon shooter sued me for the money. Sore loser, he should have bought a better camera if he wants to hang with the big dogs.

Me and my buddy go walking the beach in the summer. He still has that damn Nikon and I have a 1D. Random chicks come up to me and ask me if I'll shoot their weddings. I say "sure, when do you plan on getting married" and they say "when ever you'll marry me, you have one phat camera, you sexy pro hunk of phat cash making photographer". I'm dead serious, this happens every weekend.

I read on the Canon 1D forms that 33% of the people who cite the 60% figure are wrong 82% of the time.

Regardless, I had the SBA review my wedding photographer business plan early on, before I went to Best Buy. The guy said, "if you want our approval, you need to get one of those phat 1D's to make the phat cash". He was right. I did, now I'm rollin in the dough.

He was right. This is the phat cash from my last wedding:

pile-of-money.png

Here's a copy of the letter from the bride that came with the phat cash:

Dear Mr. <edit>,

Thank you for bringing your 1D to our wedding and allowing it to do such a fantastic job. My whole family is amazed at how useful the Amazon.com book was at helping us to arrange our family and friends for the 1D shoot. We love our pictures, National Geographic has contacted us about using them in an upcoming issue! Please accept this phat cash as payment for bringing your sexy butt to our shin dig and for owning the most awesome 10mp $4,500 camera with 10fps continuous shooting speed on the planet! If I ever dump this deadbeat I got hitched to, I'm coming looking for you! Just have that camera ready.

Tracy
I retired the second I bought the 1D. It does all the work for me. My day job is finding a way to spend all that phat cash it makes for me shooting weddings.

It sounds like you went about things all wrong.

I went to the school of hard knocks. I bought my camera and went to my first wedding the next day. Thank God I got a 1D or I would have been like all those losers out there with Nikons.

:lmao::lmao:

I could not disagree more. It's very important what you shoot with, if you want to be considered a "professional". If I showed up to a $10k wedding gig with a Nikon D90 vs. a Canon 1D I would be laughed out of the room. It's hard to direct family members for portraits over the roar of laughter. If you had ever shot a real wedding, you would know this.

I learned everything I know from shooting weddings. I bought a DSLR just to shoot a wedding. I got paid $200 for that gig. Now a few months later I'm pulling down phat cash for weddings and everyone calls me a "pro"... even my toughest critic, my mom, she calls me her "pro son" now. I've made it, and I did it without even knowing what a portrait was. It was all because I had a 1D, and that's a fact.

Man, what part of "expensive camera" don't you get? If you have a 1D the pictures make them selves. All you have to do his hit the shutter release and that beast cranks out some dope shots. Hell, half the time I leave the lens cap on by accident and my 1D still gets the pic and I make some phat cash off of it when I sell it to the bride.

Not true. My buddy bought a Nikon D300 when I bought my 1D and he flopped in the business where I'm making PHAT cash! We sat and talked about it, and we agreed - he didn't suck, his camera did. He's saving up for a 1D now. Soon he'll be pulling down the phat cash just like me.

Pft, horse pucky. You've obviously never shot a real wedding. Watching the wedding singer on a 56" television and shooting pics of the movie doesn't count as having shot a real wedding. I give the bride and the groom a link to Amazon.com where they can buy a posing book for weddings. Then I make them pose their own damn famlies and my 1D does the rest. I just show up to collect the phat cash.

I've only been sued once, by a Nikon shooter. I was at his wedding and had my 1D in the car. I didn't even know my 1D shot the whole wedding while I wasn't paying attention. The bride saw my camera shooting her wedding and copied the CF card. That next week I got a check for some serious phat cash in the mail for the pics. The Nikon shooter sued me for the money. Sore loser, he should have bought a better camera if he wants to hang with the big dogs.

Me and my buddy go walking the beach in the summer. He still has that damn Nikon and I have a 1D. Random chicks come up to me and ask me if I'll shoot their weddings. I say "sure, when do you plan on getting married" and they say "when ever you'll marry me, you have one phat camera, you sexy pro hunk of phat cash making photographer". I'm dead serious, this happens every weekend.

I read on the Canon 1D forms that 33% of the people who cite the 60% figure are wrong 82% of the time.

Regardless, I had the SBA review my wedding photographer business plan early on, before I went to Best Buy. The guy said, "if you want our approval, you need to get one of those phat 1D's to make the phat cash". He was right. I did, now I'm rollin in the dough.

He was right. This is the phat cash from my last wedding:

pile-of-money.png

Here's a copy of the letter from the bride that came with the phat cash:

Dear Mr. <edit>,

Thank you for bringing your 1D to our wedding and allowing it to do such a fantastic job. My whole family is amazed at how useful the Amazon.com book was at helping us to arrange our family and friends for the 1D shoot. We love our pictures, National Geographic has contacted us about using them in an upcoming issue! Please accept this phat cash as payment for bringing your sexy butt to our shin dig and for owning the most awesome 10mp $4,500 camera with 10fps continuous shooting speed on the planet! If I ever dump this deadbeat I got hitched to, I'm coming looking for you! Just have that camera ready.

Tracy
I retired the second I bought the 1D. It does all the work for me. My day job is finding a way to spend all that phat cash it makes for me shooting weddings.

It sounds like you went about things all wrong.

It's all true, i will never truly be the photographer i want to be without a 1D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back