What would be the best Nikon lens for flower close ups, that is not a macro

What is your budget?

I can tell you a lens that is DIRT cheap that can focus really close, that's the 28-80G, the old kit lens from film camera days, it has a close focus of 80MM (about 3 inches) and you can buy them on The Bay for next to nothing.

HIGHLY recommend the lens!

Edited to add: Don't search for the lens, search for a Nikon N55 film camera... the lenses sell for more by themselves than they bring with the old film bodies.

Here's just one:

MINT Nikon N55 35mm SLR Film Camera with 28-80mm Lens Kit with FRESH BATTERIES!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
G lenses are new not old......................

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

That lens was made from 2001 until about 2005. That's 10 years ago. Under no circumstances would I call a lens that has been out of production for 10 years "new"... but that's me.

You want something that can focus close, can take a better picture than the ones you posted? The 28-80G can do that. Or if you don't want a G (and I can understand why you wouldn't) get the older 28-80 AF-D, it's also a cheap kit lens that rocks on image quality. I own both.

The "G" designation (commonly referred to as "Gelded") simply refers to a series of Nikon lenses without an aperture control ring on the lens. These lenses have been in production for quite a few years (depending on the lens). The newest Nikon designation would be, I suppose, "AF-S, G ED VRII"

I would say there is no best. Pretty images of flowers can be made with any lens.

..."Sheesh.
Help me understand: You post a question, someone takes the time to provide you with an excellent answer which fits exactly within the parameters of your question, and rather than a simple 'Thank-you', you feel that this is an appropriate response?

What is your budget?

I can tell you a lens that is DIRT cheap that can focus really close, that's the 28-80G, the old kit lens from film camera days, it has a close focus of 80MM (about 3 inches) and you can buy them on The Bay for next to nothing.

Edited to add: Don't search for the lens, search for a Nikon N55 film camera... the lenses sell for more by themselves than they bring with the old film bodies.

Here's just one:

G lenses are new not old...................... and I should add I am looking for a prime not a zoom.

Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G

..."Sheesh.
Help me understand: You post a question, someone takes the time to provide you with an excellent answer which fits exactly within the parameters of your question, and rather than a simple 'Thank-you', you feel that this is an appropriate response?
180mm f/2.8 AF-D plus a Kenko 12mm and 20mm AF extension tube is something I used in the early 2000's for close-ups of small butterflies like skippers, as well as smaller flowers like chive blooms, clovers, miniature roses on occasion. The Kenko AF extension tubes are nice because they keep the lens/camera body/meter/flash lines of communication intact, so you have autofocus (if desired), automatic diaphragm, and both light metering and TTL flash metering, as well as other automated 'stuff'.

28-105mmAF-D Nikkor is a decent zoom for close-ups of flowers.
I think I'm gonna try the 50mm 1.4G, as this should double as a short telephoto for my dog on dark forest trails as well. I have the 18-200G vr, but as said I want faster response and no extra gismos on the lens. Thanks.

What is your budget?

Here's just one:

G lenses are new not old...................... and I should add I am looking for a prime not a zoom.

Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G
I will never buy another lens over 2.8, and my next lens is going to be a 1.4. As said I have the 18-200G but unless it is bright sun it lacks.

..."Sheesh.
Describing G lenses, which are most modern series of lenses that Nikon makes as old, is not technically correct. A history of Nikon lenses Nikkor Lens Technology

..."Sheesh.
Describing G lenses, which are most modern series of lenses that Nikon makes as old, is not technically correct. A history of Nikon lenses Nikkor Lens Technology

You have to be the most non appreciative poster on tpf. Do the research yourself

With a 0.45m minimum focal distance of the 50mm 1.4G I think is a bit limiting, as often its not that close.

Why have you discounted a macro lens? Cos it seems to me thats excatly what you would be looking for...

I really can't respond to this poster personally without breaking the rules of conduct for this forum, so instead I will simply say "this is the stupidest argument I have heard in, like, FOREVER..." since we are discussing a lens that has been out of production for over a decade, and leave it at that.

Don't worry, y'all won't have to see me answering any more posts from the OP, I'm done with him.

I really can't respond to this poster personally without breaking the rules of conduct for this forum, so instead I will simply say "this is the stupidest argument I have heard in, like, FOREVER..." since we are discussing a lens that has been out of production for over a decade, and leave it at that.

Don't worry, y'all won't have to see me answering any more posts from the OP, I'm done with him.

Same here. There is no point.

Yo, a-troll. Canon has some fan-friggin-tastic stuff, You might want to consider going with the big C and post in that section for a while.

Most reactions

Back