What's the advantage of Adobe RGB for me?

The last post in this thread https://forums.adobe.com/message/5213695 states that newer IMAC monitors exceed the sRGB gamut.

From the link you posted, I do not think iMac exceeds sRGB gamut. The guy points out that converting Adobe RGB file to sRGB file let us see big difference on iMac therefore he concludes iMac exceeds sRGB gamut. Right? I have a ~200$ Dell Monitor (surely only capable of sRGB) also can let me see big difference when I convert Adobe RGB to sRGB).

I don't know what happened to the quote thingie here:confused::scratch: [from manaheim- fixed it for you] What he said. I have been using adobe since forever for those reasons, except I never convert to s for the web and never had a complaint. I make my own prints, on various hahnehmule papers on a canon printer and two epson printers. I have bay photo print my large metal prints. I mostly view on a 27" iMac. My prints, unless I made a mistake or am experimenting, are ALWAYS perfect.

My friends complained once I gave them some images I edit in Adobe RGB and forgot to convert to sRGB.
Did you deliberately examine the difference of converting to sRGB or not ?

By the way your iMac though looks fabulous only display sRGB.

I examined it years ago, yes. I don't care what my friends say about my work. I don't care what other photographers say about my work. I care about the people's opinions who buy my work. I'm unclear about the meaning of your last sentence. My sale-able images look fabulous on my screen, your screen, and the homes and businesses in which they reside.

What I think you're doing is fretting over a minor issue. Pick an area where you think you need improvement and work on that. Figure out color space another day.

I am glad it worked for you well.
Why figure our color space later while I can now? It did cause me problems.

My last sentence means your iMac only displays sRGB, as I understand. So may not let you see any problems you may have with shooting through Adobe RGB. This is my guess, still open to debate.

I agreed with your post. Sorry for the typo...I meant to write "and true" instead of "are true".

sRGB has really sort of become the default color space of the real world. In actual practice, it is what is "expected" many times, and it works quite well. Shoot in sRGB, edit in it, output in it, upload to the web in it, print images from sRGB files...it all ties together as a real-world color space that actually works for millions and millions of people on hundreds of millions of different devices.

I've heard all the puffery about editing ONLY using uber wide-gamut spaces....yah,yeah, yeah...and I ought to listen to ALLLLLLL of my music on vinyl pressings with a $2,000 turntable through reference grade headphones OR using $5,000 a pop speakers with $500 per foot speaker wire....yeah,yah, yeah...no...I listen to most of my music in MP3 format on a computer, on my phone. I do not see a lot of advantage for the average person to messing around with ultra-wide gamut color spaces when they are going to be e-mailing the files or e-mail a gallery URL to friends and family who will view the shots over the internet.

If a person needs to ASK what advantages Adobe RGB offers, I don't think there's much better an answer than "none", and "Shoot and output in sRGB. Make your life easier...go sRGB all the way."

From what I read here, I think I would stick with sRGB all the way for now until I find out one day it's not enough.

How many of the people that say they use adobe rgb actually have a adobe rgb capable calibrated monitor and printer?

How many people who use LightRoom have a Pro-photo capable monitor? LR can output to sRGB or Adobe RGB, but it's working color space, which is not user adjustable, is basically Pro-photo. Why would LR default to a color space that no monitor can display?

How many of the people that say they use adobe rgb actually have a adobe rgb capable calibrated monitor and printer?

How many people who use LightRoom have a Pro-photo capable monitor? LR can output to sRGB or Adobe RGB, but it's working color space, which is not user adjustable, is basically Pro-photo. Why would LR default to a color space that no monitor can display?

the default is set to sRGB. If yours is set to Adobe RGB then you changed it.
Why is my car capable of going 140mph but the max speed limit around here is 70mph?

Good question, I was wondering about the same question too.

Why is my car capable of going 140mph but the max speed limit around here is 70mph?
Ummm... IIRC, LR uses ProPhoto RGB for the Develop Module, and Adobe RGB for everything else. The only place it "defaults" to sRGB is when exporting to .jpg.

The default is not set to sRGB and the default (working color space) can not be changed by the user. You may be referring to the export default.

Ummm... IIRC, LR uses ProPhoto RGB for the Develop Module, and Adobe RGB for everything else. The only place it "defaults" to sRGB is when exporting to .jpg.

Correct. Anyone working in LR who looks at a photo and makes an adjustment (exposure, contrast, highlights, clarity, etc.) is working with their photo in the Pro-photo RGB (Melissa) color space -- and for good reason even though no monitor can physically display Pro-photo.

Joe

A reference to Ken Rockwell is like saying, "And here's proof that I don't have a clue!"

Joe

no its like saying i don't want to type it all out on my little phone keyboard.

Sorry for the wisecrack. Ken Rockwell is a really poor source if you're interested in technically correct info.

Joe

it was the 1st google result, its hard to type and drive.. i already know all about color tables

Most reactions

New Topics

Back