When a session goes poorly

Anyone who claims that a newborn shoot can be successfully accomplished in 30 minutes or less is either out of their mind or has never actually done it. Treating like a Domino's order is silly. There are simply too many variables to be able to make the statement that such a shoot should be done in "X" amount of time.

I've done shoots that have lasted less than an hour. I've done shoots that last two to three hours. The ones that last two to three hours are far more common. When you look through the comments made in this thread, it's pretty evident that a longer shoot is far more common than the shorter one...

My point what that to claim yourself a "professional" you have to be able to work with what you have. Time, lighting, models etc.. A true professional can make any situation look good. Blaming the clients for your poor workmanship is unprofessional.

please note I am not talking about you in particular.

Well, no.

I was shooting a CD cover for a band. The band's management company scheduled a two hour studio shoot. I had the lights, the back drops, the inifity wall; the whole nine yards.; I was set.

I was to shoot full band photos first, and then individual band members. 25 minutes into the shoot, the record company guy gets a phone call, and the band needs to leave to do a radio interview. BAM. Shoot's over. As a result, they got some band shots, but I only shot one of the members individually. Ergo, the record company got some band shots that they were very happy with, but none of the individual shots. They paid me for the full two hours, and we scheduled time to do the singles, which they were happy with. The record label even tossed in a little "inconvenience fee" for me that second time around, since I had to shoot them twice.

Now, I don't know about you, but I can't see where the band doesn't wouldn't shoulder the blame for an inadequte shoot the first time around...

I think we are talking about two different things.

In the OP's case, things started to go south very quickly, thus sensing this, they should have adapted and change the original game plan.

In your example you had a plan laid out and it was cut off suddenly, nothing you could do but reschedule.

Adaptability is key in any professional setting.

In the OP's case, things started to go south very quickly, thus sensing this, they should have adapted and change the original game plan.

In your example you had a plan laid out and it was cut off suddenly, nothing you could do but reschedule.

Exactly.

Your point, though, is that the client shouldn't bear the blame.

I disagree.

In the OP's scenario, I would imagine that she discussed how long the shoot would take, if even only in very general terms. If the clients cut the shoot short, they bear a very large part of the responsibility for the results of the shoot.

Our newborn shoot took around 3 hours. The lady did a great job. Most of the time spent was in getting the baby set up and willing to cooperate. That does involve diaper changes and feeding.

She was clearly an experience photographer and spent very little time getting her lighting set for each different look. The majority of the time spent was getting the baby to co-operate.

I can see how three hours seems like a long time but unless you show up and the baby is cooperative I don't see how you get 10 good shots in 30 minutes. I mean what do you do if the baby is crying?

Exactly.

Your point, though, is that the client shouldn't bear the blame.

I disagree.

In the OP's scenario, I would imagine that she discussed how long the shoot would take, if even only in very general terms. If the clients cut the shoot short, they bear a very large part of the responsibility for the results of the shoot.

the real answer will be in how the OP handles it, and how the clients react to it. I think we are all giving advice (myself included) on limited information, especially concerning the contract. we have no idea what the contract stated as far as expectations the clients may have had, or what their own contractual obligations were. did the contract have provisions for a re shoot or a refund? did it cover ANYTHING on client responsibility for the shoot? i think these are somewhat important questions, and MIGHT make some difference on possible solutions. but as far as responsibility goes, if there are no provisions in the contract for client caused issues....what recourse is there except to either go with whatever the client wants, or write it off. isn't the customer always right?

Umm, that sounds like exactly like what happened with her. in Steves example the shoot was cut off suddenly. in the OP post the dad picked up the baby and just announced the shoot was over. sounds pretty much like the exact same thing to me. only diffrence is the poor attitude of the parent. and you can't really take a poor attitude as a sign that you will only have a few minutes to shoot.

I described in detail via email to the parents what the session would entail, including that it can be a lengthy session, up to three hours, when you allow for feedings, diaper changes, etc.
The dad picked up the baby and announced that the shoot was over. I told him that I was happy to wait for baby to eat, etc.. Both parents were adamant that the session was over, that surely I had enough photos and then basically said good-bye and left the room.
They didn't want you there! They didn't like you. If they were having a bad day or were uncomfortable putting thier child through this you would have heard back from them with some kind of explanation, apology, acknowlegement, etc.
I'm just not sure how to handle it from here.
Ask them what you can do going forward to make them happy. Take care of it and move on.
I'm so bummed. Any advice?
Build a bridge __/\__ ...and get over it.

I see the forum has a different skin but the same soul.
If the parents have an issue, then offer a reshoot since they ended the shoot themselves. I do agree that no one reads instructions on pamplets or websites, have it part of your contract to sign before the session. They don't even read the contract, I have to show them where to sign on the signature line. Then move on.
Good Luck

derrel's comments in this thread are completely laughable. what's worse is that even in an area where he has an obvious lack of knowledge, he's still condescending. Ignore him. every newborn photographer I know goes by a very similar timeline for at-home shoots. Multiple prominent baby/newborn photographers on this site have also come in and confirmed this. 10-30 minutes is comical. is it possible to get several good shots in that amount of time? of course, but anyone who says that is a viable amount of time to guarantee shots is either talking out their ass or drugging their babies. do you guys not have kids? babies (and especially newborns) can cry forever. i don't care if you've shot on film or photoglyphic engraving since the invention of photography. if you let me pick the baby, and the time, i sure as hell can find a situation where you will not get a single shot in 2 hours (ever heard of colic?). 10 minutes sessions are exactly sears portrait studio. and we all know that every shot these places output are all gold.

as far as the original topic about how to deal with a client after a bad shoot, I can't help you there. because you see, i'm 100% perfect and have never failed a client :p. truthfully though, I really am not much help here, i can count the number of paid gig's i've done on one hand. but i do agree with the advice given so far, offer a re-shoot and/or partial refund. if the client becomes difficult, some people just are. for a small business, sometimes it just comes down to mitigating the damage to your reputation.

Last edited:
I don't take babies photos unless for family. Well, I took my cousin's one month old last month, and the baby and parents were ready to call it quites in about 20 minutes. My opinion, I think babies do better in a studio were everything is setup and ready to go quickly. I had my son photographed in home and studio and choose to use studio, because it was less time, and who needs so many pictures of your child at one time.

I am sure you are a very good photographer, but I don't even shoot my sessions with adults too long. They get worn out. Limit to two hours. I have had bad sessions before, chalk it up to a bad day at work.

The OP doesn't know if this has anything to do with time or lack of talent. All the OP knows is that they did not want them there.

Here are my thoughts, did you get paid as expected/contracted? If yes: their issue. If no: their issue and PAY UP! You did your due diligence setting their expectations and if for whatever reason they did not want what was offered they should have handled it differently.

Doing an in home, full experience newborn shoot as you intended is time consuming (and exhausting). I've researched it a lot and done 1 (yeah I am no pro) but it took over 2 hours and I could have kept going. Artistically you may not be satisfied, but it is also a business and if you got paid what you were supposed to, in a fraction of the time, then good for the business side of the house.

Avoid taking baby photos unless you really want to, the baby knows you well, or they're paying you a lot. Big headaches usually.

Usually easier to take photos of babies from afar as to not scare the baby, and almost always without flash (if anything, bounce the flash or shoot when baby is by a window or well-lit!)--makes shooting quicker.

But we do wonder what you did get in those 30 minutes. Do you use S mode or CL (2-3) mode?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back