When you're travelling by plane do you trust airport baggage handlers with your camera gear?

Ansett ANA was an iconic national domestic airline that ran for more than 60 years
until around the turn of the millenium when air new zealand acquired a major share in the company and destroyed it...
anyway, up until that point, (judging from my regular travels) you could trust all of that airlines staff including
the baggage handlers. I met and spoke to one baggage handler employed by air new zealands version of Ansett
after the take over... he was a neurotic imbecile that I would not trust with a box of matches.

:confused:

Sure I trust people not to steal from my suitcases ! :eek:

I also believe in santa claus and that politicians never lie ! :p

:confused:

Sure I trust people not to steal from my suitcases ! :eek:

I also believe in santa claus and that politicians never lie ! :p
quote-politicians-don-t-lie-they-misspeak-and-they-don-t-steal-they-mispocket-robert-breault-103-22-92.jpg

On the topic of traveling with gear, I just went out and bought some foam (intended for reupholstering chairs) and put a thick strip at the bottom of my camera bag. Every time I set the bag down I hear my gear THUD against the ground and it hurts me a little. I try to keep the cheaper stuff near the bottom (chargers, batteries, etc) but the little bit of foam has given me peace of mind. Sorry, hardly relevant to the original post. But slightly relevant, maybe relevant enough to be worth mentioning... The laptop sleeve on my camera bag leaves only a piece of canvas between the edge of the computer and whatever I set that bag on and has let my laptop land on the ground enough times to bend up the adhesive-attached face of my MacBook Air, which is what prompted the foam purchase. I've only been taking pictures a few years but I'm on the road with my camera at least once a month, and sometimes I wonder why it's so hard to find a travel bag that more than hardly addresses issues.

i'm cheap and use the backpack my mom bought me for high school (thing was built to last), and keep a few t-shirts on the bottom to address the exact issue you're talking about andrew. t-shirts are my dividers too.

and after i arrive at my destination those t-shirts work great to stay clothed.

Last edited:
I don't know how many ways I can say it but...NO

I don't know how many ways I can say it but...NO

Here's the best I can do.

Afrikaans Nee
Albanian Jo
Amharic Aye
Arabic laa
Armenian Votch
Asturian non, nun
Azerbaijani Yox
Basque Ez
Bengali Na
Bosnian Ne
Breton Nann
Bulgarian Ne
Cantonese m hai
Catalan No
Cornish Na
Creole Non
Croatian Ne
Czech Ne
Dagaare
Danish Nej
Dutch Nee
English No
Esperanto Ne
Estonian Ei
Eurish No
Farsi Nah
Finnish Ei
French Non
Frisian Nee
Galician Nom – Non
Georgian ara
German Nein
Greek O’hi
Gujarati naa
Hawaiian `A`ole
Hebrew lo
Hindi nahi
Holooe M¯-sï
Hungarian Nem
Icelandic Nei
Ido No
Indonesian Tidak
Interlingua No
Irish ní hea, nil
Italian No
Japanese Iie
Korean A-nim-ni-da , A-ni-yo
Latin Non, Minime
Latvian Ne –
Lithuanian Ne
Luganda Nedda
Malaysian tidak
Mandarin bú shì
Marshallese Jaab
Norwegian Nei
Occitan Non, nani ( formal )
Polish Nie
Europortuguese Não
Portuguese Não
Quecha Manan
Romanian Nu
Russian Net
Serbian Ne
Sesotho Tjhee
Slovak nie
Slovenian Ne
Spanish No
Swahili Hapana
Swedish Nej
Tagalog Hindi
Thai mai-chai/mai-oua
Tswana Nnyaa.
Turkish hayžr
Ukrainian ni
Vietnamese Không
Welsh Nage
Wolof No
Xhosa Hayi
Yiddish neyn
Zulu cha

And for the Geeks in the crowd:
Klingon ghobe-Qo

Klingon? Oh my heck!

Klingon? Oh my heck!
Hey as in all professions and/or hobbies there are a some geeks. A guy I used to work with used to make fun of his boy for playing Dungeons and Dragons and the like. Well that is until I point out that his favorite pastime in the fall was Fantasy Football. Any game that has Fantasy in the name is an automatic qualifier for Geekdom.

Always with me... I have everything in an airport approved Lowepro Sling that fits under the seat in front of me.
Some less important trips, I'll fly with only my 24-70 as my "do it all" lens, in an even smaller case, tossed in my back-pack/CamelBak, when I'll be hiking, etc...

When I fly this is how I go. Pelican case in overhead, backpack under my seat and I put my tripod in my checked suitcase. I haven't had any issues yet "knock on wood". Oh this is also how I pack my truck every day minus the checked suitcase.

i-PkJJxbw-XL.jpg

i-4kwdxrg-XL.jpg

i-PsrGMTw-XL.jpg

Most reactions

Back