When you're travelling by plane do you trust airport baggage handlers with your camera gear?

The only camera I would trust baggage handlers with is my Olympus TG4. My gf brought me cookies from her travels and United turned it into mush. And the box was cracked. Even her metal name card holder was crooked.

Just wondering what some people do when travelling with all their camera gear? With all the restrictions these days about cabin baggage size and the amount of equipment we can be carrying as photographers surly you have to check some of it into the hold? I know I have to sometimes.

Just reading a post about how someone got all of their camera gear stolen from their suitcase. Bummer!
No way.. I don't because they don't deserve the trust. Even had a brawl with the crew members few Months back when i was heading off to Kerala for a Photo shoot!

Nope, I charter a private jet every time.

I do not trust baggage handlers with anything. In my experience, the airlines may as well hire gorillas to do the job. If one must check photographic equipment, use Pelican cases or an equivalent and make sure the gear is fully insured. I have been burned too many times by baggage handlers and airlines. Since killing them is off the table, I take my stuff on the aircraft and rent or borrow what I may need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like everyone agrees that they cant be trusted, im the few occasions I have had to put gear in the hold its been fine but I try to get on the plane first so theres room in the cabin for it.

I just got the ThinkTank International V.3 and I love it. It is supposed to be carry on approved and I could put anything that I need to take with me in it.

Great suggestion, looks great I will have to consider it...

I second the use of Think Tank roller cases as well, I use one for domestic flight and one for international flight considerations. I have never been asked to check these bags once. Think Tank makes quite durable and dependable cases for photography gear. Well wort the investment.

I work for an airline. I have access to the ramp and other areas of multiple airports including baggage rooms. Unless your gear is locked into a very padded and multiple locked Pelican case. DO NOT check camera gear! The old Samsonite commercial on TV with the gorilla is not far from the truth! I'm serious. Especially if the bag is heavy. In small narrow body planes the bags are tossed and slung to move them around. In large planes they use containers. There could literally be 4' of bags on top of yours in them! There could be nearly 300 pounds stacked not so neatly on top of yours in the bottom of the container! Then add the fact security in the baggage areas are riddled with hidy places where bags can be taken to be pilfered! There is no security cameras in the cargo holds! Anything goes!

As a rule for traveling with expensive gear, or gear you can't afford to lose. Always check to see what kind of aircraft your going to be on. If your on a commuter airline good chance the overhead bins will be smaller than normal. Giant photo bags will not fit in them. So under the seat in front of you, or you will have to gate check them (don't do it). Take a bag that will fit!

Check your clothes. Carry the camera gear!!!

Baggage handlers taking care of your luggage.

Asked and answered. You can probably close the thread now.

Baggage handlers taking care of your luggage.

Asked and answered. You can probably close the thread now.

Holy schmicks, unbelievable. This video says it all.
You have been warned.

I have never checked my stuff yet, and never plan on it if I can help it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back