Which Calibration Software?

awhitegirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My lap top monitor really needs to be calibrated. What is the best brand to buy? Spyder ? Pantone?

Like the Ford/Chev debate, I don't know that there is a 'right' answer. I've been using Spyder software and colorometers for years and always been happy with the result.

Software or hardware? The software is mostly irrelevant to the quality of the calibration and the only thing to be gained / lost is features such as the ability to write a monitor lookup table if you're lucky enough to have one.

The hardware is mostly the same in any given price range. I wouldn't really recommend any colourimeter over the other except for the i1 Display 2 and then only because I have it and it works for me. Same goes for spectrophotometers.

If you are interested in accurately editing photos...get an external monitor. A laptop really isn't the best option for accurate calibration. Although I guess, calibrating it would be better than not.

Software or hardware? The software is mostly irrelevant to the quality of the calibration and the only thing to be gained / lost is features such as the ability to write a monitor lookup table if you're lucky enough to have one.

The hardware is mostly the same in any given price range. I wouldn't really recommend any colourimeter over the other except for the i1 Display 2 and then only because I have it and it works for me. Same goes for spectrophotometers.
i1 Display 2 colorimeter for me too, made by X-RITE. I use a lot of X-RITE's products.

If you are interested in accurately editing photos...get an external monitor. A laptop really isn't the best option for accurate calibration. Although I guess, calibrating it would be better than not.
Many laptops have very limted monitor adjustments, but calibrating it is better than not calibrating it, if you don't use a good for image editing, external monitor.

There are 2 main issues with laptop displays:
  • most use TN (Twisted Nematic) displays which offer only a very narrow range of usable for editing viewing angles. (many laptop displays do not allow viewing of the entire image from a single viewing position.)
  • It is difficult to consistantly dupicate the display viewing angle.

thanks people ... i bought the spyder ... and i am also looking into getting a mac desktop ... sounds like the combination of the two might give me better results ...

Most reactions

Back