John McDonough, Sports Illustrated, 74 Sports Illustrated covers he shot are here for your perusal.
John McDonough - SI Vault
Camera of choice: Nikon D3
Robert Beck, Sports Illustrated--
Robert Beck Photography
"All my field gear is Nikon." Equipment: " a few Nikon D3 bodies, a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8, a Nikon 24-70mm f 2.8 and a 14-24mm f 2.8,. At sporting events I will include the Nikon 400mm f 2.8, Nikon 600mm f/4, maybe a fast Nikon fisheye, a couple Nikon SB900 strobes and the NIkon right angle finder. If I need a lighter "grab" camera I'll include a Nikon D300 or Nikon D700."
"Why Nikon? The gear can take the work. The files are superior to anything out there. One of my editors once told me the Nikon files shot in low light looked better than "the other guys'" files shoot during the day! 'Nuff said. The glass is second to none as well. The color is true, the contrast crisp and the sharpness,well sharp. Because it either is or isn't. I need it to be "is". " end quote from Robert Beck.
David Bergman, Sports Illustrated contributor shooting the NFL mostly, plus the music industry. Read his blog dated Nov. 23,2009 at
David Bergman — ALL ACCESS — music, sports, and concert photography
Nikon D3, Nikon D700
LEGENDARY Sports Illustrated photographer John Iacono--45 years at Sports Illustrated. Nikon.
Sports Photography | Podcast
Listen to his podcast telling how to shoot sports. Gives lots of tips. Roughly 18 minute free podcast.
Robert Hanashiro, Los Angeles, USA Today photographer, and the founder of the Sportsshooter.com web site
Sports Shooter Kahuna's Blog Nikon D3, 24-70, 70-200, 300/2.8 for NBA basketball
Hanashiro switched from Canon to Nikon when the D3 hit the market. During his 2008 Beijing Olympic coverage blog articles
A Letter Home From Beijing
he wrote, "On the Nikon vs. Canon front... Nikon is being used by clearly over half of the photogs here. Nikon's goal of 33% of the Olympic photographers using their gear looks to have been accomplished. I haven't seen so much Nikon gear being used at a major event like this in years. I've been carting around a Think Tank Airport Security every day with three Nikon bodies, 24-70, 70-200, 200-400, 1.4 and 1.7 teleconverters, SB800 speedlite, SC-17 cord, two full card wallets, Induro monopod, Think Tank fanny pack, sunscreen, USA TODAY Olympic pins, MacBook Pro (with power supply) ana a pouch with computer accessories (3 card readers, firewire hub, 160 gig portable hard drive, security cable, mouse, cords and adapters)."
Hmmm...I wonder how come "Drew" couldn't get the Nikon D3 to focus?
Garbage in = garbage out. Using ONE out of 51 AF points is not a very good way to use a sophisticated, flagship camera that Sports Illustrated guys favor...