Which laptop will be best for editing photos and videos

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Technerd456, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Technerd456

Technerd456 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am an enthusiast and professional photographer. I want to buy a laptop to edit my photos and videos and playing games in free time. Can anyone suggest the best laptop which I can buy? My budget for the laptop is Rs. 50000.

2. Soocom1

Soocom1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mac or PC?

I was looking into this last week as a matter of fact and from everything I have seen from Adorama, to dpreview and others, the Del XPS 15 takes the prize for PC and Macpro takes it for Mr. Job's world.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Original katomi

Original katomi No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pc fast processor, loads of mem hdd and 32 gig ram and get the best screen you can

4. Soocom1

Soocom1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  5. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Oh dear, you mentioned the G word. Try the Asus ROG Zephyrus or a Razer Blade probably, but it depends what games you want to play?

The Dell XPS 15 looks ok but that GTX960 is already three generations old, really looking for a minimum GTX1060, an RTX2070 would be better (unless you don't care about ray tracing then a GTX1070 would be choice but they are out of production now).

And saying all that the new Ryzen processors have just been released (which pretty much match intel) along with some new ATI gfx cards that look like a really good value buy in the mid-teir market and promise much better multi-tasking with their core/thread count which would probably benefit you if you do a lot of video encoding.

I'd wait a few months to see what the reviews say and we get a few of the new Zen 2, Ryzen chips in the laptop market. Heat may be an issue with them as they do tend to run hot but it's early days yet.

6. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes on a FAST processor, with multi-cores.
    Not a HD, you want a SSD, or you bottle neck when the editor is exporting to the disk.
    I did not find RAM as much of an issue. I think 16GB is plenty enough for photos (for me), I have no idea what video RAM requirements are. But some laptops the RAM is not expandable, so get as much as you can, cuz for those laptops you are stuck with whatever you buy.

A good "gamers" laptop may have the configuration you want.

7. Strodav

Strodav TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Like with cameras, there is no best one laptop or computer for PP. It's a combination of how much you can afford to spend and what level of performance you want. If you want a high level of performance buy a gaming laptop like an Alienware from Dell. You can select the options you want on their website and the more expensive (processor, memory, SSD, display size, graphics processor) the better the performance you will get. You will also want to buy an external display in the 27" or 32" range, which can be calibrated to srgb. Please note these are big, heavy laptops. Personally, in 2016 I moved from an Alienware laptop to an Apple Macbook Pro, i7 4 core, 2.7Ghz (3.6Ghz turbo), 16GB mem, 512GB SSD, Radeon Pro 455 graphics processor with 2GB DDR5 mem, 15" display. It is thin and light with good battery life, so it's easy to take along to a shoot. I loaded up Creative Cloud including LR and PS and it performs very well.

8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    These days there are plenty of good laptops for around 1500 American dollars up to 3500 United States dollars.

As was said above, there is no one best laptop. I personally think that 16 GB of RAM is plenty, but there is no harm in getting more.

9. Dwain Geead

Dwain Geead TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Buy one of the latest samsung

10. Original katomi

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi well since adding my thoughts here I have been hit with the windows 7 end of life notice. Now I will have to look for a new pc as well noted comment on hard drive and added to my list

11. Original katomi

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi well since adding my thoughts here I have been hit with the windows 7 end of life notice. Now I will have to look for a new pc as well noted comment on hard drive and added to my list

12. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

If you want, you maybe still able to upgrade your Win7 to Win10 free of charge.

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet

I just upgrade few PCs from 7 to 10 in the past few weeks for friends (which they did not want to in the past, but had no choice now) without any issues. Be sure to backup you computer before the upgrade just in case.

• Informative Informative x 1