Which lens should I buy?

newlucie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm in the process of buying a Canon Rebel Xsi. It comes with the 18-55mm lens and the 55-200mmm f/4.5-5.6 autofocus lens. I'm wondering which of the following 2 lens' I should buy; Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens OR Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4.0 High Speed Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras?
Can someone help?
Thanks in advance.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

The nifty-50 is one lens that I believe should be in everyone's camera case. This lens will spoil you.

I'm in the process of buying a Canon Rebel Xsi. It comes with the 18-55mm lens and the 55-200mmm f/4.5-5.6 autofocus lens. I'm wondering which of the following 2 lens' I should buy; Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens OR Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4.0 High Speed Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras?
Can someone help?
Thanks in advance.

From the sounds of your post I get the impression that you are fairly new to DSLR photography. If that is the case then my personal recommendation would be for neither. You are getting a decent focal length range with the two lenses that come with the kit. The 18-55 will cover the 50mm range and between the two you have the 28-70mm range covered. I would suggest that you use what you are getting and learn from them. You will learn their strengths and weakness.

Once you have used those lenses and gain some experience, knowledge and an idea of what types of photography you want to engage in then you will be in a position to purchase new glass that will fill your needs. While you are doing this, put money away for when you understand where it is you want to go and the equipment you will need and purchase the glass you need then.

I will agree with the above poster that the 50mm f1.8 is a nice little lens for $100.00 but, if you never need/use the lens it is still $100.00 that could go to something you will use.

I think over time you will find you want to improve the quality of your glass. Better glass is usually faster glass and provides sharper images by their design. Better quality also means more money. Sometimes a lot more money. But if you get in the habit of buying good glass that you need, it will last you through several bodies. Good luck.

I answered your post which you placed elsewhere (please don't double-up your posts in different places on TPF). I would agree with gryphonslair 100%

Ian

The Sigma 28-70 2.8 is garbage. Don't even consider it, despite being fast it sucks in low light and IQ is sub-par.

Go with the nifty 50.

^^^ on the above, that is the most ridiculous statement I have seen here in quite a while. Saying a lens is complete garbage is a highly subjective statement, IQ is sub-par as compared to what? sure it's not as fast as the canon version, but that's kind of to be expected from a lens that costs 3x as much.

Sure you could get a 50mm 1.8, for the price you can't really beat it... of course the IQ to that lens is known to not be all that good either in low light. I just find it somewhat humorous that you're trashing one lens because it is (in your view) poor in one area, and then suggesting another with the same problem.

For price (~$90), nothing beats the 50mm f/1.8

I like fixed f/xx myself so I would not go for that Sigma. Also, you already have 28-70 rane covered with the kit lens. I'm going to guess the Sigma will not be that big of an upgrade (if any) over the kit lens from Canon.

If you are looking for an f/2.8 ... Sigma 24-60 f/2.8, and I believe Tamron has a 17-50 (17-55?) f/2.8.

I'm sorry but the sigma 28-70 2.8 is a definite upgrade from the kit lens, which is much much slower.

the sigma is well built, very solid and will hold up to much more use. Now, I generally like the 18-50 sigma-tamron better just because of the range. But, in fairness it is a definite upgrade from the kit lens. I mean you're looking at 2 stops in difference in the second half of the range.

EDIT: I want to edit this because what I misread an earlier post and have since assumed that the lens we are talking about is the 28-70 2.8 sigma, and not the 2.8-4. If I were going to go with a sigma or a tamron I would definitely want to go with their more top of the line models as they are in my opinion a good deal for the money. the others... well, whatever

I personally owned the Sigma 28-70 2.8-4. And I used it twice. In low light it sucks, the image IQ sucks, think lots of CA and ghosting, with some barrel distortion on the wide end. The lens is garbage, I returned mine two days after I bought it

We can talk in circles all day long but under the current situation:

In the bag:
Canon Rebel Xsi.
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens
55-200mmm f/4.5-5.6 autofocus lens

What is the next lens you would rather have in your bag?
1. Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
2. Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4.0

Simple answer: Nifty 50.

If you owned a kit lens, a low end telephoto zoom lens and a nifty-50; would you trade your 50 for the Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4.0?

Last edited:
no... I would probably trade it for one of the flat 2.8's but not for the 2.8-4. (Again, my previous posts were because I was thinking you were looking just at the 2.8 not the 2.8-4)

Personally, I still hold to just learning your lenses and seeing what you really need from there. There will probably be an area that you really want to improve with these lenses... whether you want to stay with the zoom, and improve lower light functioning (looking at a 2.8 through the range zoom here) or if you want a fast prime such as a "nifty fifty"

doesn't canon make a nice 35mm fixed lens?
Edit: Like [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-35mm-Wide-Angle-Cameras/dp/B00009XVCU"]this[/ame]?

Last edited:
Seems like this thread has been beaten with alot of good answers. In all honesty, you have the entire most common and good for almost everything range covered with your initial purchases. Learn what you can do and you will find the limitations of your equipment. When you find what you enjoy doing most you can start asking "Which lens should I buy for XXXXX photography?" At that point, this thread can provide far more insightful and usefull answers. I started a lens thread for zoom tele lenses because i only have a 17-85. My dad is taking that back so I now have to look into a good walk around zoom. You have the entire range covered and until you know exactly what you want you'd likely be throwing away money.
As far as choosing between the two i see it as a no brainer. The nifty fifty offers that which your current lenses dont. Great bokeh, low light performance, much sharper then the kit lens and a lens that can stay in your collection without having to upgrade. The sigma may offer slight improvements over the kit lenses but will leave you wanting more thus making it a waste of money. I hope this will help you spend your money wisely.

Nick

Most reactions

New Topics

Back