Which Nikon DSLR should I buy?

TonyMontanaSlot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone :). I'm planning to enter the world of photography and I think Nikon had some great reputation in the photo market for years so I'm considering this brand. I have little experience in photography but I've made some unique beautiful shots with my Canon A410 soapbox (If I remember it right). People really liked the photos although their quality was pretty poor. So, I want to enjoy making beautiful photos that will match today's standards and maybe even sell them (so the gear will pay off for itself). I need "macro" mode for sure. Maybe I'll make some stock photo.
Is Nikon D90 outdated? What decent Nikon kit would you recommend?
My budget is 942 USD being the very maximum.

The Nikon D90 would be "considered" outdated because it's been replaced twice. However, it is a very good camera. I have one myself and I love it. I just recently purchased the D7100 and I love that camera too lol. You can probably find the D90 or the D7000 within your budget. Purchasing the D90 will allow you to get a lens as well. Purchasing the D7000 may or may not leave much for a lens, a prime lens like the 35mm 1.8 maybe. Of course you will have to decide which lens you need for the type of photos you like to shoot. Have fun shooting!

D90 is already replaced by another camera, i don't think you should think about it.
In my opinion you should start with D5100 or your budget permits go with D5200.
It's very good entry level DSLR with much more functionality and You will discover much more world of photography with it.

Just be careful before you buy. Macro mode on a dslr is only compatable with macro lenses. What I mean is any lens you buy will have a minimum focus distance. dedicated macro lenses allow you to focus close enough so that the subject size can pretty much fill the sensor at its own actual size. If you put a normal lens on any dslr and select its "macro" setting, it wont be macro unless the lens allows it. The d90 is a fine camera. For what you say you may pick up a d90 with its 18-105 kit lens and a second hand macro lens. While your at it pick up a book to learn your camera, don't depend on camera modes, set them yourself

D90 is already replaced by another camera, i don't think you should think about it.
In my opinion you should start with D5100 or your budget permits go with D5200.
It's very good entry level DSLR with much more functionality and You will discover much more world of photography with it.
Yeah. I did some research and it turns out D5200 is entry level camera which is not quite what I need. D90 is more advanced.
"The D90 has a shutter lag of 0.067 sec (after focusing), which is in the ballpark of the advanced and higher end cameras such as the D7100, D600, D4, etc.

The D5200 has a shutter lag of 0.248 sec, which is mediocre by DSLR standards, and is in fact no better than some higher-end compact cameras"

Just be careful before you buy. Macro mode on a dslr is only compatable with macro lenses. What I mean is any lens you buy will have a minimum focus distance. dedicated macro lenses allow you to focus close enough so that the subject size can pretty much fill the sensor at its own actual size. If you put a normal lens on any dslr and select its "macro" setting, it wont be macro unless the lens allows it. The d90 is a fine camera. For what you say you may pick up a d90 with its 18-105 kit lens and a second hand macro lens. While your at it pick up a book to learn your camera, don't depend on camera modes, set them yourself
Thank you for your "macro" mode insight. I think i'll go with $848 Nikon D90 Body +TAMRON AF 18-200, 3.5-6.3 LD .

Both the d90 or d7000 would be an excellent choice. Their feature set significantly exceeds that of the 3000 and 5000 series nikons

I wouldn't get the D90, it is indeed a capable camera but is outdated in my eyes and when looking ahead I would recommend you to go with the D7000.
Its well worth the price difference.

The D90 is a great camera. And at the prices you can get it for on places like ebay, well worth the purchase. I was extremely happy with my D90. Use the extra money you have to pick up a decent lens.

Refurbished D7000 $719 w/free shipping
Refurbished 18-55 VR & 55-200 VR $229 w/free shipping

Product Page
Adorama

I would opt for the D7000, and let the D90 slide on by. I am not sure about the above-listed "shutter lag" of approximate 1/4 second...that number seems very high...does that perhaps include focusing? I just cannot imagine that number is accurate...just..can...not.

My honest thought is that the newer, higher-MP count Nikons have the better sensors. Just from looking at the numbers on sensor performance, I think the D90 is already outdated. The newer sensors, even those in the lower-level Nikons, have higher dynamic range, deeper color saturation, better low-light HIGH-ISO performance, and much higher resolution figures. Fact is--TODAY, the economy Nikon's have 24 megapixel sensors with wide dynamic range and low noise...the D90 has low MP count, and only average sensor quality--based on 2013 standards. Stock photo organizations do not want 12-megapixel captures, because their buyers do not want 12 megapixel images. A D90 puts you back in 2005, in terms of MP count.

I think the stock photo thing is a goal, and not the most critical issue. You need a d-slr, so, get one, and start learning how to best utilize it. My feeling is that the D7000, refurbished or used, is the best compromise on your budget.

I would opt for the D7000, and let the D90 slide on by. I am not sure about the above-listed "shutter lag" of approximate 1/4 second...that number seems very high...does that perhaps include focusing? I just cannot imagine that number is accurate...just..can...not.

My honest thought is that the newer, higher-MP count Nikons have the better sensors. Just from looking at the numbers on sensor performance, I think the D90 is already outdated. The newer sensors, even those in the lower-level Nikons, have higher dynamic range, deeper color saturation, better low-light HIGH-ISO performance, and much higher resolution figures. Fact is--TODAY, the economy Nikon's have 24 megapixel sensors with wide dynamic range and low noise...the D90 has low MP count, and only average sensor quality--based on 2013 standards. Stock photo organizations do not want 12-megapixel captures, because their buyers do not want 12 megapixel images. A D90 puts you back in 2005, in terms of MP count.

I think the stock photo thing is a goal, and not the most critical issue. You need a d-slr, so, get one, and start learning how to best utilize it. My feeling is that the D7000, refurbished or used, is the best compromise on your budget.

I agree, and that's from someone with both a D90 and a D7000. Given a choice between a D5x00 and a D90 I'd go for the D90 every time. Given a choice between a D7x00 and a D90 I'd go for the D7x00 every time. The difference between them is, as Derrel stated, quite significant and well worth the difference in price if you can afford it.

Actually, the 12mp D300 was released in 2007, the D90 in 2008, and the D300s in 2009. Not such terribly old tech that it would not make a great camera to learn on. I absolutely agree about the D7000 though. Right now it is the best nikon bang for the buck camera, and i would recommend it over the D5x00 or a D90.

Refurbished D7000 $719 w/free shipping
Refurbished 18-55 VR & 55-200 VR $229 w/free shipping

Product Page
Adorama

No offense but IMO it is a waste of the D7000 body if you pair it with the 18-55 VR. If budget allows D7000 with its own kit lens (not the 18-55) or the 18-70 which imo a better lens than the 18-55 and about same price. If not get the D90 over any D3x00 or D5x00.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back