Who Am I?

TheNevadanStig

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jasonlighthallphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can't tell what kind of hawk this is? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not that great of a shot, but the best I could muster so far. The hawks around here are so skittish I can't ever seem to get close enough:

12993838025_7dedfcaeac_o.jpg
[/URL] DSC_0012 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr[/IMG]

My money is on the American Kestrel - based on its blue patch on the head, wing and breast markings and your location

Some say that he appears on high value stamps in Sweden, and that he can catch fish with his tongue.

Doubled checked and yep American Kestrel - was sure it was a kestrel but wasn't sure how many varieties the US has. If you were down Jamaica way it could be a pale American Kestrel, but I don't think so (markings look black rather than brown if you look at the spots either side of the breast).

If you're doing more bird photography of falcons see if you can get hold of a copy of "Raptors of the World" by Helm Identification Guides - big book with fantastic drawn plates of the birds along with detailed descriptions of physical features, distribution maps and more.

Some say that he appears on high value stamps in Sweden, and that he can catch fish with his tongue.

Entirely not true. Although, I am illegal in 17 states, and terrified of bells.

Doubled checked and yep American Kestrel - was sure it was a kestrel but wasn't sure how many varieties the US has. If you were down Jamaica way it could be a pale American Kestrel, but I don't think so (markings look black rather than brown if you look at the spots either side of the breast).

If you're doing more bird photography of falcons see if you can get hold of a copy of "Raptors of the World" by Helm Identification Guides - big book with fantastic drawn plates of the birds along with detailed descriptions of physical features, distribution maps and more.

Thank you! I will have to check that book out. So many of the hawk-types look alike, I was almost thinking a cooper or sharp shinned for some reason.

Kestrels are quite distinctive with the blue band over their head. Also watch them as they hunt, they will often hover in a single spot for a few moments when hunting as they scan the ground before them.

Also if you're looking for ID books for general birds try to get ones with drawn plates not photographs for identification. Drawn plates can more easily show a "perfect" example with the details shown clearly; whilst photos are actually a lot harder to work with as detailing might not be perfectly shown plus individual differences present on the photographed subject might confused against real world comparisons.

UK side Collins makes some very good bird ID books - I'm not sure if they are over in the US or trade by the same name over there.

Kestrels are quite distinctive with the blue band over their head. Also watch them as they hunt, they will often hover in a single spot for a few moments when hunting as they scan the ground before them.

Also if you're looking for ID books for general birds try to get ones with drawn plates not photographs for identification. Drawn plates can more easily show a "perfect" example with the details shown clearly; whilst photos are actually a lot harder to work with as detailing might not be perfectly shown plus individual differences present on the photographed subject might confused against real world comparisons.

UK side Collins makes some very good bird ID books - I'm not sure if they are over in the US or trade by the same name over there.

Not this guy, he is by my house quite a bit. Seems to like to sit in trees and take out pigeons that have already landed. Have watched him do it twice. Both times before I had my camera of course.

This is a Male American Kestrel. The female is a different color all together.

Most reactions

Back