who took the picture?

If there is any question as to who "owns" the shots posted here at TPF, we will continue to convert the images into links. There is nothing inappropriate with Chris of Arabia's action. Members can still access the images in question and give him the feedback he is requesting, and TPF is satisfied the guidelines are being adhered to.

Thanks for your support and compliance! :D

hum ... then if I am at the park, and ask a stranger to take a photo of my family, do I own the photo?

Or if I am at Disney world, and the friendly Disney staff use my camera and take a photo of my family ... Do they own the photo?

If there is any question as to who "owns" the shots posted here at TPF, we will continue to convert the images into links. There is nothing inappropriate with Chris of Arabia's action. Members can still access the images in question and give him the feedback he is requesting, and TPF is satisfied the guidelines are being adhered to.

and then after the photos are converted to links, is it customary to shut the thread down so that members can not in fact still access the images in question and give me the feedback I am requesting?

Just wondering if that was the norm or if Chris of Arabia was drunk with power at the moment.

hum ... then if I am at the park, and ask a stranger to take a photo of my family, do I own the photo?

Or if I am at Disney world, and the friendly Disney staff use my camera and take a photo of my family ... Do they own the photo?

either way, don't post it in here or else your pics will get converted to links and your thread will get shut down.:lmao:

But I think it maybe nicer to PM the OP first to make sure if he/she own the photo before jump into conclusion. After all, you guys just want to make this a better place.

Yep, they are the copyright owner.

However, that's really hard to prove if you don't have a copy of the image.

Also, I was responsible for ALL parts of the composition of the photos in question. It was my equipment. I set the ISO, the Fstop, the shutter speed, placed the subjects AND photographer, and then in post, I (massively for some) cropped the photos to exhibit the framing that I desired. Of course there were some that either my girlfriend or her sister fired off suggestions as to what they thought would make a good shot, and we did those too, but doesn't that always happen? If someone shouts to a pro at a game "oh my gosh look at that!" and then points at something the photographer takes a picture of, does he get a credit? These are MY pictures. I'm not going to post them again, but I am just wondering how the rule got translated from "owns exclusive copyright" to "actually pushed the button."

can you direct me to some sort of document that backs that up?

and then after the photos are converted to links, is it customary to shut the thread down so that members can not in fact still access the images in question and give me the feedback I am requesting?

Just wondering if that was the norm or if Chris of Arabia was drunk with power at the moment.

I don't think I saw the thread but if you got slammed by people quoting rules then shutting the thread is the best action to be taken. by the third or fourth rule quote post all intrest in the images is lost. Your best bet is to try again.

One thing you can do is what I do. Get permission and state clearly that you have it.

See here

It's my understanding that a photograph is composed before the photographer ever reaches for the camera. Pushing the button just takes that creation and puts it to film/disk.

I think this is a very interesting subject. As the Disney example I posted, if I ask a Disney staff to take the photo of my family with my camera, and later on, I use that photo on a website, (for commercial purpose) that may create a problem if I do not own the copyright of that photo.

And 99% of the time that won't be an issue because the person who took the photo, and the person who the photo was taken of, are both nobodies, and they will never meet in any way again. Whoevery took the photo will likely never, ever see it. So yes it's an interesting topic but in your example, nothing would ever come of it.

QFT

He hit the nail on the head.

Found this on Frequently Asked Copyright Q&As by Andrew D. Epstein. If you, Robert, really did ask your friend to take it for you in exchange for pizza, you are indeed the owner since your friend took the shot while under your employment. However, if this were to be a real big-money lawsuit and the picture was worth more than $500, your oral agreement would not be enforceable and she would own the copyright (contracts dealing with more than $500 must be in writing).
Q. What if I have an idea and I hire a photographer to execute my idea, pay for his or her expenses including models, film, processing, assistants and special equipment, does the copyright belong to me?
A. No. Usually, the person who creates the work ñ in this case, the person who trips the shutter -- owns the copyright. Of course, the parties can make other arrangements such as assigning the copyright or agreeing in writing to create the photograph on a work-for-hire basis. Also, under some circumstances there could be joint ownership of the copyright.

So there you have it. Case settled?

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back