Why do people have the need to...

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
All these banned threads have me wondering something. Why do people have the uncontrollable need to voice their opinion even when they're not supposed to? This is not something that is exclusive to the internet, either. People at my work will discuss politics with customers (which IMO is a no no), and in one instance got into an argument with a customer who worked for a company many people dislike. This seems totally inappropriate, but people still do it. Why?

I'm not looking for a debate, I'm looking for an answer. Maybe a philosopher or psychology major can tell me why people have the uncontrollable desire to voice their opinion, even at inappropriate times. But I'd really like to understand the mental process behind this behavior.

I am human and I am free - laws I follow, but petty policy is not for me!

I that sums it up - its like school and home and law - there are some that you can break without getting in trouble - and we always test our limits as to how far we can go before we get in trouble. Of course we all test the limits in different ways - whilst there are those who don't push the barriers - so its all indevidual.
Polices though on what you can and cannot talk about are very hard to enforce - especially in the real world when politics is something that affects so much around us in our day to day living

At some point you have to start talking about more than the weather.

Not everyone is going to like what you have to say. So What? That's life.

Thank you for the answers. Defiance is a strong feeling, which would explain why so many people lean on their emotions during these moments when logic would tell you to take another path.

Also, the alpha male concept makes sense. It seems no matter how much we evolve, we still feel the occasional need to show dominance. I guess it goes to show you that even if you know how the game of life works, you still have to play it.

And boredom. I've never tried to stir up the pot out of sheer boredom, but I do believe you're on to something here.

Once again, thank you for helping enlighten me. :)

I guess because everyone thinks their opinion is oh-so important or meaningful?

Here's a quote from a philosopher: "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." - Soren Kierkegaard Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)

I guess because everyone thinks their opinion is oh-so important or meaningful?

Here's a quote from a philosopher: "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." - Soren Kierkegaard Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)

I would say I like that quote but that would be an opinion - and I should keep that to myself. DOH! I just voiced another opinion, this is so wrong! AGH! There's another one!

I'm kidding of course. I feel people should voice their opinions about certain issues but I agree with you that discussing politics at work, with customers no less, is something that should not be allowed. Employees and employers should know better than to talk about such heavy issues with customers. Personally I let my opinions slip out when I feel something I believe in and fight for is on the cutting block.

for example: in a recent thread on another forum, someone used the harsh term that I will cleverly edit as "F@g". I "opinioned" all over that guy because I believe that is a horrible word that should never be used to describe anyone. Was my opinion asked for? - No. Did I feel is necessary to say something? - Yes

Most reactions

Back