Why do you take photographs?

Because drawing takes too long.
We know we have a limited time in this world, and we know that this world is ever changing ... to be able to secure just even a moment, makes us feel that our existence has some importance.
That might not really mean anything, or it might mean everything ... we are surrounded by fluidity, and especially in our own minds. To capture just a fraction of a second, will stop time, will stop our world from losing something we thought was important.

Ok ... I blame the Beer :trink39:
Did that sound Prophetic ? or am I just spewing crap from my fingers?

I can't sing, dance, draw, paint or write poetry. There's not a musical instrument on the face of the earth I can play. Yet I still feel the need to express myself. Photography is teaching me to see and capture. It's nice to have a hobby where learning will always be ongoing. And when the pic sucks I can delete it, forget it and start over

Yeah, because I can't draw anymore, or express myself with my paintbrush or my trowel while standing 30 to 60 feet in the air on a rickety old ladder or less stable scaffold.

I come from a family of artists but I am the only photographer, out of painters(canvas)those who draw and seamstresses, I was taught by my mom to draw people who looked as though they could walk of my paper. I loved drawing my Dungeons and Dragons characters in their settings as kid. Luckily I got into photogrpahy at 12, because at 16 this farmboy went to work as a maintenance mechanic in packing house and has been working labor ever since. I found my place as a house painter and a plasterer but years of swinging hammers, torguing wrenches and carressing a 4 inch oval or a 16" trowel against a wall with my medium left my hands unable to manipulate a pencil with any from of comfort. For years I expressed my art in the houses I built.

I like to try and tell a story with my images :)

I am addicted to taking photos ... i just love the click click click sound..love to see if i have captured that one special photo.. love to remember the weather, the day... the special moment.. even if someday i will be sad looking back on them.. i love nature.. i discovered this addiction a little late in life.. how i wish it was when i was younger so i could have so much more knowledge now.. but entirely happy i discovered something i really enjoy...

I wish i had more time.. lol...

I got into photography by accident. My wife & I were on a cruise and my interior photos that I took with a Canon Rebel were just horrible. I got to talking with one of the ship photographers and he said, "Why don't you shoot in manual?" My response was, "What's that!"... I know, Ha, Ha!

Well, I got home and started researching online about manual settings and started practicing in our back yard. Now, 4 years later, I have a Canon 7D & a Canon 5D with several different lenses and filters. I am hooked!

I think of photography like playing golf. You are always trying to do better than your last shot.

Well, i will provide a different reason. I take something apart i photograph so it helps remember how to put it together again. If i need a part, or am trying to explain something a photo does wonders to help. Important documents, i may photograph as it is easier than paper filing everything (and usually easier to scroll through and find).
I guess quite a bit of the time i use photos very much like a tool. Even buying my car online i sent a photo of my drivers license. Shopping for home insurance, i sent them photos of the house. Photos have taken on a entire new level of practical, utility application as well since becoming digital

Last edited:
Another thought that occured to me is that I keep doing this because I'm good at it, and people seem to like me because I'm good at something, and I like being liked and I like being good at something. Coincidentally, I love to photograph beauty from my personal perspective, so I get a bit of a kick out of it as well.

Another thought that occured to me is that I keep doing this because I'm good at it, and people seem to like me because I'm good at something, and I like being liked and I like being good at something. Coincidentally, I love to photograph beauty from my personal perspective, so I get a bit of a kick out of it as well.
So, you get a "like" for all those references to being liked! ;)

So, you get a "like" for all those references to being liked! ;)
Likewise!

It's never the same each time, but each moment that I want to take a photo, it's for one (or more) of the following reasons:

- capturing a moment for my own memories
- wanting to share a vision/moment with others
- getting a beautiful object/person/scene on photo
- testing a camera's capabilities

Because it doesnt cause health problems, hangovers or both yet still provides a relaxing endeavor that I enjoy?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back