Why do you take photographs?

My first love was video and video cameras. I started learning photography to take better video with a DSLR. One thing led to another and I found I enjoy photography. Our trips from 10 years ago was a few photos and a ton of video. Now it is about evenly divided.

I also love to print my best images up and have them in a photo album, then I can look back over the years and enjoy the time I took them again.

Reactions: pez
I had to give up sailing due to disability my other half suggested that I go back to photography. I can’t paint I do write a little . I have done the camera club thing Itake photos to shaire what Isee even if my images are marmite pics love or hate them as my bi line says it has allowed me to push the limits of my dreams. I have even combined photography with my writing by using my own images in a small now and then artical.
In the winter When I am stuck inside photography gives me something to stretch the brain
Last of all this time I am doing this for me not to please anybody else. So there are no right or wrong ways or images just sometimes what I invisage Does not work out as a photo.
If you like my photos brill if not well ok I don’t like rum and I am totally naff at portrait photography’s I don’t do it lol

I also love to print my best images up and have them in a photo album, then I can look back over the years and enjoy the time I took them again.
What size do you print at I print at A3 for my keep folder or I place a selection of 200 on my I pad to view

What size do you print at I print at A3 for my keep folder or I place a selection of 200 on my I pad to view

My Mum has one album I have done at 5x7 and I have one in my flat somewhere at 6x4.

For me I need to separate what made me start photography with the reasons that keep me going. My father was an amateur photographer and I grew up watching him take pics, and develop and print them in the bathroom. Photography was not the only interest I inherited from my father. My interest was pretty mild for years, with a spike generated by taking a photography course in college in the 80s. I would call it a latent interest, not a real passion. In 2006 I started taking multiple courses at the community college, buying equipment, doing portraiture, spending more time reading about, learning, and practicing. Between 2006 and 2014 I was very active photographing people, creating stock imagery, doing travel and street photography. The interest developed into a passion as I got better and I felt part of a community - I was active in photo forums, learning and also sharing. I would say that my motivation was the sheer pleasure of learning, creating and improving. The feedback from others was also a motivator, as was the financial rewards. I went through a phase of collecting and valuing equipment, but eventually I outgrew it and stopped buying stuff and focusing more on the images and the experience, more than the gear.

Recently the passion for photography has cooled off, and I am not sure I can explain why. One of the communities I frequented disappeared and that was a bummer. Also, the stock business saturated and I lost interest in investing time and energy contributing. As I get older I don't seem to care to spend time editing images in front of the computer, carrying gear here and there, or seeking feedback. I even took my website down because I am not updating it anymore. I don't feel bad about this cool off period - it is what it is, and the passion may come back or not, and it's ok either way. I just go with the flow. But I do miss the high I got from creating - the creative process was the most fun part of it.

Mostly 3 and 4. I like putting edges on the world, finding, identifying and keeping the art that just happens.

I also just really like cameras-- anything that can record a jpeg is aces with me. Phone cameras, toy cameras, big honking DSLRs. It's all good.

Heavy post processing and gearhead technical mumbo jumbo leaves me cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me a photograph is proof that perspective (physical, emotional blah blah blah) can alter anything. I like to play with that.

Grew up in it.
Was in the darkroom at age 4.

Mostly 3 and 4. I like putting edges on the world, finding, identifying and keeping the art that just happens.

I also just really like cameras-- anything that can record a jpeg is aces with me. Phone cameras, toy cameras, big honking DSLRs. It's all good.

9Apps vidmate apk

haha yes brother you are some what saying it all right,

yes you are right my brother

I love to take photos and that is why I choose photography as my profession. With this art, you can catch some amazing memories. Like in wedding photography, there are many special moments that have to be captured and framed for a lifetime.

I haven't read all the posts here.
I do get the gist, though.

When a child learns to communicate one of the things they learn to say is "why".
They want to know something. They are ignorant, in a nice way.
Until the "why" becomes tedious, usually because the listener has run out of answers or couldn't be bothered.
If you have had children, you'll know what I mean.

As an adult asking 'Why" we do so for the same reason but because we are usually asking other adults the answerer is even less clear and more impatient.
The reason for this is we adults don't think all that deep.
The answer must be coherent to the listener, relatively simple and definitely concrete.

The answer to the question "Why do we photograph?" isn't a simple question and it will never have a simple answer if we delve deep into the place were we live inside of us.

My Old Man said, once or twice, "Breath, boy. Now while you're breathing; do something"

The choice becomes ours from thereon in.

What we chose is a matter of convenience, culture, pre-requisites, beliefs, knowledge, ideas, timing, place, previous experience, capabilities, opportunity, and genetics.

It's a mixed bag with many possibilities.

DOING SOMETHING is inherently important to survival.
What we do is more a question of how we do what we do?
Secondary to that is what are the consequences?

Photography is about COMMUNICATION.

That's inherited, instinctive, and vital for our survival.
But so are a lot of other things.
We chose photography as ONE method among many to communicate.

Possibly, the question we might ask is "what does a photograph do that other means of communication are less preferable at the time?"

Me? This question has come up several times before. I usually say "I love that clicking sound. "

Me? This question has come up several times before. I usually say "I love that clicking sound. "

I’ll assume you’re being facetious, Derrel.
That’s why the manufacturers relate a shutter sound in shutterless cameras.

Any chance you can be serious for a moment? After all, it’s a hobby.

Most reactions

Back