Why do you take pictures?

I do it cuz i once searched photography. And all these nice picters show up. Im all I wanna take pictures like this. So here I'm and and loving it..

To satisfy the need to be somewhat creative and artistic in a visual manner.

skieur

I try not to Take Pictures Rather prefer to create photographs .

Why do you take pictures?
There is a huge, massive, world of difference between taking a picture, and making a photograph.

I try not to Take Pictures Rather prefer to create photographs .

I have to say, I find responses like this fascinating (which makes me glad I asked the question). As a complete amateur with a new passion for photography, I find myself much more concerned with the visual aspects of the image I produce then I do with the words someone might use to describe it. In my amateur’s mind, the semantics of photography seem much less important than the image. If what I produce reflects what I see in my mind and what I feel in my heart, I would be hard pressed to care if someone referred to it as a "picture", a "photograph", a "snapshot", or a "digital image". As long as they are moved by it, they can certainly call it whatever they like. Granted, I'm completely new at this and I might reach that level of pretentiousness one day. But if I were worried that much about semantics, I would probably be concentrating more on developing my skills as a writer as opposed to my skills as a photographer. Don‘t misunderstand. It is not that I don‘t appreciate your answers. I just don‘t see the need to distinguish. But when I reach your level of expertise, I might.
Image1.gif

Elliot Erwitt has been quoted as describing what he did as "taking pictures". Ansel Adams sometimes referred to his work as "pictures" instead of "photographs". I figure I'm OK doing so, at least for now.

As for why I "take pictures", "create photographs", "craft digital images", or "give birth to art"...
I’ve spent my professional life seeing lots of violence and ugliness. Not the wonderful aspects of life. So, when I see something in the world that is beautiful, or striking, or something that strikes a cord in my heart, I love the concept of being able to capture that moment and hold it to it forever. Call it what you like, that is what makes it important to me. That is where my passion comes from.

I appreciate everyone who took the time to answer, regardless of what your answer was.
Gonzo

Last edited:
Can someone please elaborate the difference between a photograph and a picture?

Very little, to me.

A "photograph" is created by light falling on a light sensitive material (film, digital sensor, etc...). Not all "pictures" can claim that.

You can draw a picture, you can't draw a photograph.

So, all photographs are pictures - not all pictures are photographs.

Also, some people just like to sound important or more intellectual.

Very little, to me.

A "photograph" is created by light falling on a light sensitive material (film, digital sensor, etc...). Not all "pictures" can claim that.

You can draw a picture, you can't draw a photograph.

So, all photographs are pictures - not all pictures are photographs.

Also, some people just like to sound important or more intellectual.
LOL, well put.

From what I've gathered in here, I think the big difference would be that

Pictures, are taken by down to earth folks.

Photographs, are taken by elitist assholes.

I guess I better put a smiley in this :lmao:.

I take pictures to tell the story. A moment in time captured, the story continues. Whatever my "picture", when someone looks at it, I want them to feel the emotions as if they were there. This sounds kind of sappy and maybe that's it, I'm a sappy kind and I love to create emotions.

It all started for me back when I was really young. My grandfather was an artist, he worked with many different mediums over the years. Almost all of his work came from pictures he took. At one point before he passed away a few years ago he had almost 200 cameras, digital and film. Everything from 35mm SLR's to 110, Disc, Polaroid, you name it. I think he gave me my first P&S 35mm at the age of 6 or 7, eventhough he had already taught me how to use an SLR at that point. We would spend weekends chasing trains to take pictures, of which he would use for his drawings. Or we would just go places and we always had a gadget bag with at least two cameras. On top of all this, we would do all the developing on our own. He had all the equipment, and we would seal the windows up, turn on the red lights and get to work.

Over the years I have always had some sort of camera, and just recently bought a Canon T2i. I have a lot to learn and learn again since it has been so long since I really tried to make good pictures.

I know it isn't as fun an answer as everyone else, but for me it truly is the reason.

Why do I take pictures ... well, because as smart as all of us here are, we haven't been able to train them to take themselves. ;)

All jokes aside, I love the camaraderie and the solitude that is brings to me. I can go out and shoot with my wife or my friends for the day, or I can go out alone. I can share my work with others, or I can enjoy it myself. It can be as complicated as you want it to be, or as simple as it needs to be - the most amazing thing about photography is that it can be what ever it needs to be for whomever needs it (plus the fact that I can make a few bucks here and there make it nice too).

because I love it, capturing an image, viewing its colors, the detail, its awsome!!

There is just something about getting that perfect shot. I guess it's something only photographers understand. Only the batter knows how good it feels to hit a home-run or the player who shoots the game winning three. It's also very relaxing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back