why is this lens so cheap?

iPhoto17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Because its an f4 and a kit lens, and it's a third party brand.

There is no ED coating or vibration reduction (almost a necessity with 300mm). This lens also tends to have some strong chomatic abberation when shooting into the light and the narrow aperture is far from top of the line.

ok, i just figured it was just that it was 3rd party and didnt have VR in it, also, i dont understand what makes a lens a kit lens, i thought a kit lens was the lens the camera comes with

also, can someone show me a link to a nice macro lens that can focus around 1 foot away or closer? im having trouble finding a macro lens, something maybe 5-10mm?

the widest aperture for your current lens is probably 4 and it is not designed to focus that closely. I use a Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro that is much less expensive and still a great lens. Nikkor and Tokina lenses are made by the same designers so the quality is still bar none. That would be my suggestion for a beginer macro.

Or a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 which is a pretty nice lens for the money. It's what I have.

ok, i just figured it was just that it was 3rd party and didnt have VR in it, also, i dont understand what makes a lens a kit lens, i thought a kit lens was the lens the camera comes with

Typically, camera retailers bundle an inexpensive lens with the camera body, and the whole "kit" may also include a bag, tripod, and possibly other accessories. This is intended to get the purchaser out the door with everything he needs to make pictures.

Your 55-200 is one that I received with my kit, and although it is not the fastest lens, it does produce pictures.

If you wish to purchase a longer telephoto zoom, you must decide what features you require versus the cost. Do some research on prospective lenses, and then decide what you are looking for. Then you can begin shopping for the best price of that item.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Nikon you have is actually way better than the sigma.

This lens is just a entry level piece of junk.

Really?
You sure? ;)
3235267300_3818b5638b_o.jpg

3229231483_d2a4f20834_o.jpg

The Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 macro is a cheaper priced lens, its optics are not as good as higher end options and its maximum aperture varies through its zoom range. It has many short fallings if you compare it to higher calibre lens offerings, however for its price point in the market its a good performer. Stick it on a tripod to help with stability (or even a monopod) and learn to use it and you can get some decent shots with it.
The lens is also slightly cheaper because its an older model - there is a newer, slightly more expensive and optically better (esp at the 300mm end) APO edition of the lens (you can tell as on the outside it has a red ring around the end barrel). Again its still budget market, but good for its market segment.

Typically, camera retailers bundle an inexpensive lens with the camera body, and the whole "kit" may also include a bag, tripod, and possibly other accessories. This is intended to get the purchaser out the door with everything he needs to make pictures.
Even though this Sigma lens would never be bundled with a camera (not by the camera manufacturer anyway - there may be an in-store package that includes it), some would still call it a 'kit lens' because it is a similar focal length range and similar build quality to a kit lens.
Kit lenses are typically pretty close to the bottom (usually THE bottom) of the line-up when it comes to build quality. Basically, a lens cheap enough that they can practically give it away for free with a new camera.

also, can someone show me a link to a nice macro lens that can focus around 1 foot away or closer? im having trouble finding a macro lens, something maybe 5-10mm?

Macro isn't so much about distances as it is about magnification. What kind of photo are you trying to take? You might just need a close focusing setup rather than a full blown macro lens - but it really depends what kind of pictures you're intending to take.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back