Why isnt my camera focusing with my Fisheye?

silverbody

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have a rebel xt with a 18-55mm lens and raynox fisheye lens.

it refuses to focus in auto and in manual focus.

how do i fix this?

i gotta wonder, since it;s an add-on converter type lens if the camera is having a hard time using AF with it...

id go with the manual focus advice.

it doesnt refuse to focus, but i guess it does refuse because its constantly blurry at any focal point.

If you cannot get the image in the viewfinder in focus when you have the Raynox converter attached ... then it is of exceptionally poor quality.

I would not use it.

i have a rebel xt with a 18-55mm lens and raynox fisheye lens.

it refuses to focus in auto and in manual focus.

how do i fix this?
Which Raynox did you get the OC-505. the Qc-303, the HD-3032Pro or the FE-180 Pro.

Unfortunately none of these are a fisheye lens. All they do is increase your lenses native barrel distortion somewhat and badly approximating a fisheye.

If you bought 1 of the first 2 listed you didn't spend over $30 and you are seeing about the best they will produce.

Here is a real fisheye lens for your camera.

I'm afraid it's the old story, "You get what you pay for."

NO NO NO its the Raynox mx3000 and i paid 175$ for it. its a good fisheye.

i need real help

If you cannot get it to focus mounted to the lens. Take it off the lens. Focus your lens so its at its closest focusing range. Hold the Raynox infront of your lens. Without changing focus on the 18-55, move the raynox further away and see if you can finally see a focused scene. Check this at mid focus on your 18-55. And at long focus on your 18-55.

That lens adapter is designed for a video camera. It's focus point may be farther out from your lens than when its screwed to the lens.

Also look through the Raynox with your eye. If you can't see an in focus scene with your eye (may have to move it closer or away). It may be a bad lens (not assembled correctly).

the lens works as i also use it for my sony vx2100. how would correct this in order to make it work? bunch of spacers/filters?

Well I am just guessing the focus point may be further out. I really don't know how far back lenses / sensors are on video cameras. It's just it would be easier to determine if the focus point is forward of your lens. But it could be closer. And that you can't fix.

If you did move it out and it did come in focus. You could buy a couple very cheap filters and remove the glass. Just use the rings. If you have a bunch of filters in there stray light may / will bounce around and ruin the pics. I have not heard of purpose built spacers. But if you determine that it does need to be moved out. Go on ebay and buy some cheap filters. That may help you out. But if the focus point is closer towards the lens, then I am afraid you just can use it.

alright so ive determined its farther out. have we come to the consensus to order cheap filter off of ebay and take the glass out?

try to find out the distance needed - if its a decent distance away you could consider a bellows instead of the filter rings.

Interesting to hear of the problems with this gear - my experience of Raynox have so far been very good, but I have been working with their macro lenses only

With manual focus it.. you focus it by turning the focusing ring with your hand, if it will not focus this way the lenses are damaged.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back