Why the hate on the Rebels??

I paid nearly $600 for my rebel kit alone. How is that affordable for any Joe photographer?
I've been working since the early 70's. It's not out of the question to spend a C-Note on a meal for two........... :D

The 50mm f/1.8 is a steal. Great optics, low profile, bang for the buck.

I paid nearly $600 for my rebel kit alone. How is that affordable for any Joe photographer?
I've been working since the early 70's. It's not out of the question to spend a C-Note on a meal for two........... :D

The 50mm f/1.8 is a steal. Great optics, low profile, bang for the buck.
$600 is quite affordable, considering what the other options are...

I think that you all are failing to understand what "professional" really means.

The only thing that makes "pro" a pro is the fact that he gets paid for his work and makes a living out of it.
I don't think everyone is missing that, to the contrary I've all but said the same thing albeit not quite so directly. Not all "pros" can or do shoot with $5k cameras.

I don't think anyone said or even implied the equipment you lug around makes you a "pro". I could be mistaken, but I certainly wouldn't make that assumption about people's thoughts.

To be fair, Rebels aren't the only crop sensor bodies on the market (obviously). So for a client to say "no Rebels need apply" doesn't automatically exclude 30D's, 40D's, 50D's, 60D's, 7D's, or any of the Nikons including the D40 all the way up through the D300 :)D - hey, they weren't specific).
Yeah, I think what Derrel might be missing is that this agrument has nothing to do with the fact that the Rebel/xxxD series are crops, but that they're cheap entry-level cameras. They have crappy noise handling, low burst rates, mediocre autofocus, and while they can take some wonderful pictures in ideal conditions, they tend to flounder in less-than-ideal conditions. It really has very little (if anything) to do with the fact it has an APS-C sized sensor.

I think what you might be missing matt, is reading the entire thread.Why don't you go back to my post, post #33, where I wrote: "people offering contract work are finding it necessary to write, "No Rebels" and "No Rebels need apply" as a way to weed out those whose equipment is not up to professional standards, now that it is 2010. The burgeoning number of MWACs and GWCs (mom with a camera, guy with a camera) type shooters who have been taking photos for one or two or three years and are using Rebels and D40's and low-end Pentax or Sony cameras are really at a disadvantage, compared with shooters who own higher-end bodies, which have better viewfinders, better HIGH-ISO performance, faster autofocusing, better autofocusing under challenging conditions, and which also are cameras that clients are less likely to own themselves."

see the point about "better viewfinders, better HIGH-ISO performance, faster autofocusing, better autofocusing under challenging conditions??"

So you see that Matt, right, I addressed the points you alleged that I missed, as you quite often do. Please Matt, try and stop reading my posts then automatically making misleading comments about what I have stated. I'm sorry Matt, but you're the one who is "missing the points" that I made very early on. Re-read post #33.

The Canon Rebels are beginner's cameras...it's 2010 and a Rebel is a consumer camera, and not a professional's tool....when a company hires a contract photographer, that company wants to make sure that the tools used are "professional". It is not a full-frame body, but it is also not a very good body,and now that it is 2010, the Rebel line is quite a disadvantage compared to a professional body if the conditions re challenging. The OP's post is why the hate on the Rebel....it's not just the "rebel" but ALL cheap, low-end d-slr's...look at the Getty or Corbis approved camera lists...there are "standards",and there have been standards for decades.

As others have mentioned, I think it is more the statement it makes about the owner's approach towards the business of photography, rather than if it's actually a good tool. Craftsmen makes some very nice table saws, and Ryobi makes decent drills, but if a contractor showed up with those tools, I would not be impressed. Not because I didn't think their tools could do a good job, but because they aren't invested enough in their craft to get professional tools.
Entry level SLR's also aren't known for being very robust-weddings are rather hectic events with cameras getting bumped around a lot, and you want a camera that can stand up to that.

:lol:

"Rebel" sounds lame as hell, though. It's not as bad as "COOLPIX," but still. Lame.

Then again, I'm not a marketing expert and it's obviously working for Canon. :thumbup: / :thumbdown:

"Why the hate on Rebels"? - in general, I mean - probably because it's quite clear what the target audience is:

rebelxti.jpg

Soccer moms.

^ that says it all.

"Limitless performance"

Yeah I dunno about "their" rebels, but I found all the limits of mine in the first day.

^ that says it all.

"Limitless performance"

Yeah I dunno about "their" rebels, but I found all the limits of mine in the first day.

But surely its the photographer that is the limitation not the tool ;)

And then we end up in the circular argument of what is more important - the tool or the user=:mrgreen:

I think that you all are failing to understand what "professional" really means.

The only thing that makes "pro" a pro is the fact that he gets paid for his work and makes a living out of it.
Professional means, being an expert. Knowing how a camera, a lens, light, and a photograph work. Knowing how a print is made. Today, it also means knowing color management and how to maintain and use a desktop computer system.

I know photographers that make a living from photography, but they sure ain't professional, because they don't know how any of it works. Give them a task outside their extremely narrow base of experience, and they are totally lost, clueless how to proceed, like a 'natural light' photographer that is suddenly required to light a shot but has no clue what incident light or a lighting ratio is. Let alone how to turn on a strobe.

I know shooters that don't make a dime from photography, but know it inside, outside, backwards, sideways, and have top-of-the-line camera and lighting equipment, and are as professional as a professional can be.

I've been glancing around ads for some contract work and I've been seeing a lot of people saying things like 'Rebels need not apply' or 'NO Rebels!'

I love my Rebel (cuddles) what is so awful about them? I wanted it for six years before I finally bought it, now I'm feeling like I should be embarrassed to own one. :grumpy:

I think the problem is that those who are buying and using Rebels are generally beginners. It is an indication that you are a beginner in the eyes of those saying this.

I come back after a few hours to this? Gawd I love you guys.

To each their own, but I think it's the photographer. Personally (and I suppose I should state this since I started this mess) I prefer my Rebel because my "more expensive" or "pro" or "better quality" etc etc camera is a film camera. Film is expensive, though, and direct digital RAW files are easier to PP. I don't consider myself an entry level photographer, but the Rebel was all I could afford at the time. I invest in good glass, heavy PP software, and I do the jobs I know my camera can do. In the end, I love to PP so I don't mind spending the extra time to compensate for what a better camera could have done.

For instance, I don't do weddings and I don't do live shots for up-beat bands (acoustic and such tend to move around less and I can use a slower shutter speed).

Sometimes when I arrive on site, I get customers that start showing signs of disappointment once I pull out my body. But it's nice because when their proofs are up online they call me all surprised.

Professional means, being an expert

Professional as seen by most groups concerning photography, is earning a % of your income (over 40-60% range for most groups) from your photography. Be that only doing one single discipline or a multitude. It also tends to include aspects of conduct and behaviour that most attribute to professionals.

The understanding of professional also meaning expert within the field is one that we associate to the term, but it is not its meaning as such.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back