WTF Flicker

Ok now the humble confessions come out and I see I wasn't alone. I mean are they really trying to turn people away or what because they seem there doing a good job of it.

Yeah, it's the push-pin.

Someone asked the same thing two weeks ago.

13158082145_d4c5f184a8_o.png

My Flickr pages look absolutely nothing like yours... where is this magical pushpin located? I do not see it. Again, the whole new interface seems like an effed up mess to me...and by "new" I mean the messed up UI they adopted maybe a year ago. I only keep a few images on Flickr, but have over 5,000 on pBase. I've always regarded Flickr as lame, but have had a free account since 2007. Are they changing accounts over to a THIRD interface, as we speak? As in "this very week"???

You can link to the page pretty easily with the little chain icon (on that same "share" menu where the push-pin is) - or you could just copy the address bar in your browser. The chain icon has a shortened URL though, I guess for posting to Twitter where you have to count characters...

To link to the file, you still have to go to the view all sizes page...

Maybe some will do a tutorial on the new flicker because it's confusing enough that is needs one I think.

Yeah, it's the push-pin.

Someone asked the same thing two weeks ago.

13158082145_d4c5f184a8_o.png

My Flickr pages look absolutely nothing like yours... where is this magical pushpin located? I do not see it. Again, the whole new interface seems like an effed up mess to me...and by "new" I mean the messed up UI they adopted maybe a year ago. I only keep a few images on Flickr, but have over 5,000 on pBase. I've always regarded Flickr as lame, but have had a free account since 2007. Are they changing accounts over to a THIRD interface, as we speak? As in "this very week"???
I think they actually started changing it a few months ago, but it was optional then. Since I knew it was going to happen no matter what anyway, I started using the new interface back then so I would already be used to it now, lol.

Click on that "Share" button (the box with an arrow going out of it), and it's all there. It actually makes it pretty easy to post to Facebook. It took a while to figure out what did what, but I've got it all figured out now. :lol:

The last box to the right of the Pintrest (I think that's what that is? The red P) in my screenshot appears to not be there anymore. That is still all in that [ . . . ] box to the right of the Share box though.

Last edited:
I hate you flickr! I found the pushpin but I hate the layout. I opted out when it was in beta. Now I'm forced to use it. I'm still a paying member also... urrr

I'm still a paying member also... urrr
I let mine expire last month.

I don't have unlimited storage anymore, but it doesn't look like I'll need it anyway (I've used 3.78% of the 1TB they give you so far - hold the mouse over your 'buddy icon' the the top right corner of the page to see that)... I do kind of miss the stats page though.

If 500px would have that feature of copy and past a selectable size I would dump flicker in a heartbeat.

While I figured it out rather quickly, it's still one of the dumbest layouts they possibly could have used... It's horrible.

Ok, The "Pushpin" Icon gives you an URL to copy and paste on the URL line.

View attachment 69460

Then 'Uncheck' the box and the photo will load.

Phil

lol. just copy and paste the code they give you. no need to engage the image applet. Notice the extra tags you added for no reason?

The new GUI is awful. I've posted plenty of complaints to deaf ears during the beta. Hell, at first they didnt even have options to share or even teh EXIF data. They changed it for no good reason, and they add NO benefit. Whoever the UI/Web designer or the deicsion making behind the change should be fired. Just as the person who degined the new UI for the Google Maps should be as well.

I will admit, I like how easy it is to see EXIF data. the problem is, you can only see basic shooting info now, not the complete data. and for ****'s sake, if you want you copy and paste it you can't. Cntrl-c is disabled when you hightlight and if you right-click and copy it, you're left with this trash:

[LIST]
[*]Nikon D600

[I]70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8[/I]
[*][I][I] ƒ/5.0[/I][/I][I][/I][I][I]
[*][I]200.0 mm[/I]
[*][I][I] 1/160[/I][/I][I][/I][I]
[*][I][I] 200[/I][/I]
[*][I][I][I] Off, did not fire[/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I]
[/LIST]

edit: I guess it doesn't render [I]that[/I] bad, but when you paste it, it just looks like a mess.

But to touch on what Derrel pointed out about the link back to Flickr, then why in the world did they remove the nice little "[U]Photo Title[/U] by [U]UserName[/U], on Flickr". Seriously awful business decisions.

Yes the push pin did the trick but man I am glad I am not a paying customer because they really screwed this up IMO. Thanks you all, you guys saved me from the delete flicker. This was stressing me out almost went on a rampage like e.rose. I knew you guys probably went through it and would save me from breaking things in the house.:hail:

E rose went on a rampage and I missed it? Ah crap. She just looks so darn cute when sure turns green an starts using priuses as lawn darts.

Sigh.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

apparently ipernity is embracing all the new Flickr converts ;)

I really just don't understand the change, to make it harder to do all the same tasks. The little improvement this design gave you is outweighed completely by all the cons. I can get used to it easy, but what they should have improved was the "organize" feature. Do you realize how much work it takes for you to display the photos in the order you want if you didn't happen to upload it at the same time as others in a set?

As a UI designer myself, I tend to ask this question first: why are we doing this?

if the answer was: for no net benefit and to make it harder on the user.

then they succeeded.

For example, find one of your photos, click (i) to view your basic exif.

then click view all data.

have fun scrolling for days.

now, try to collaspe all the data back. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Their constant changes, and many were poor choices in my humble opinion, are what sent me over to SmugMug. I still keep a free Flickr account so I don't bother to complain about them too much anymore as I am getting what i pay for :wink:

Most reactions

Back