Yongnuo YN568EX - Highly recommended by me :-)

NickStevens

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings all

YONGNUO, photographic equipment, camera accessories, flash light, camera remote control, speedlite, photo equipment, LED photo light, flash trigger, camera wireless remote control, TTL cord

I have just received one of these in the mail and have spent the last hour using and experimenting with it.

My initial thoughts are, it feels solid and well made.
Its also easy to operate functions such as Flash Exposure compensation or Power output in manual mode.
If using E-TTL, the results are consistent and well exposed under the conditions I tried it under.
It also does High Speed Sync up to my cameras (Canon EOS 50D) max shutter of 1/8000.
Also seems to be pretty quick on the recycle time and Ive taken just over 200 shots and the batteries are still going strong too.

All this for just £126.99!!! :shock: :cheer: :thumbsup:

Now I could be wrong BUT, it appears to me that Canons equivalent speed-light would be the 580EX costing nearly 4 times the price and the Canon doesn't do High Speed Sync, you would need to go up to a 600EX to get HSS?

Its certainly gets my seal of approval and I'm more than happy with my purchase.

I do just have one question :waiting:

Ive been experimenting using rear curtain and dragging the shutter, when using E-TTL, I get a small flash as the shutter opens, then a second more powerful flash as the shutter closes, is this normal?
I notice that when dragging the shutter with rear curtain under any of the manual modes, I only get the one flash as the shutter closes (Behaviour that I thought was normal)

Anyway, thats my thoughts on the Yongnuo, a real viable alternative to a Canon Speedlight, and if anybody can answer the question I would appreciate it.

Cheers
Nick

I just bought one a while ago too, I own a 580EX II as well, and while the Youngnuo is not as well built and has some strange text on the back screen, it's pretty good. One correction-the 580EX does do high speed sync, pretty much the same way the Youngnuo does. My problem with HSS is it starts to kill the flash power once you get over about 1/320, but it's a good feature to have.

The first flash is a metering Pre-Flash that TTL uses to measure needed output. Yea.. normal... and it is before the shutter opens, so it doesn't add to the exposure.

I just bought one a while ago too, I own a 580EX II as well, and while the Youngnuo is not as well built and has some strange text on the back screen, it's pretty good. One correction-the 580EX does do high speed sync, pretty much the same way the Youngnuo does. My problem with HSS is it starts to kill the flash power once you get over about 1/320, but it's a good feature to have.

Ok fair enough about the HSS, I reckon for around a quarter of the price of a Canon 580EX I can live with maybe a slightly lower build quality, never seen a 580 in the flesh so I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first flash is a metering Pre-Flash that TTL uses to measure needed output. Yea.. normal... and it is before the shutter opens, so it doesn't add to the exposure.

Ok fair enough, my bad I thought it was just after shutter opens, but I've looked again and it's right on the opening or maybe slightly before kinda hard to tell lol

It's all good though, I love dragging the shutter and using rear curtain.
As a DJ I wanted to be able to take interesting shots at discos and this technique nails it!
Can't wait for tomorrow night and the first time out with the Yongnuo :)

My favourite feature of this flash: √LCD PANEL USER INTERFACE WITH SUPER GELIVABLE METAL HOT-SHOE STAND

My favourite feature of this flash: √LCD PANEL USER INTERFACE WITH SUPER GELIVABLE METAL HOT-SHOE STAND

Yup.... Super large easy to read digits for the settings too... Just what's needed rather than having to squint at them like I did on my last speedlight.

Anyone know how I would set this up for off camera wireless triggering?

I know my 50D does not have the commander function (or at least i don't think it's possible to fire off cam direct)

So I'm probably gonna get the YN-622C, but how many would I need?
If I just put one 622 on the camera will it fire the 568? Or will I need one for both camera and flash?
I Also have a jessops flash that I may experiment with the double off cam flash setup.
Can anyone advise how many 622s I would need?

you need a transmitter on the camera, and a receiver for each flash. Some flashes have optical slave capability.. but that is a Manual only option, in case you want TTL.

you need a transmitter on the camera, and a receiver for each flash. Some flashes have optical slave capability.. but that is a Manual only option, in case you want TTL.

The 622s are transceivers ain't they? So they will function as both transmitter and receiver?
Are you certain the 568 needs a receiver, if so then I must need 3 622s.

I do have one other question..... If somebody can help.

I Notice that when bouncing the flash at 45 degrees shots are coming out under exposed by about 1stop when using ETTL, seems I need to correct this by a +1 exp comp.

I thought that when bouncing the power adjustment should be automatic.

Bounced with a +1 seems to give a really nice exposure, but do I have a faulty one if this adjustment should be automatic?

I thought that when bouncing the power adjustment should be automatic.
At least up to the point the flash unit is firing at max power. In eTTL mode, you may not know when max power is being used.
When full power is being used, recycle time also has to be taken into account, because the next flash may happen before the unit has fully recharged

Plus, bouncing the flash doubles the distance the light has to travel, and the Inverse Square Law can become an issue.

One of the things about cheap flash units is that their GN numbers are often inflated and they don't deliver as much flash power as the advertise.

Certainly power does not seem to be an issue.

It also maybe down to how I'm interpreting the image.

I Think I will do some example in a bit and put them on flicker so others can see what I mean.... Or maybe it's all okay and it's just how the light is falling onto the subject.
Im seeing less highlights when bouncing so that's probably how it's supposed to be.

Greetings all

YONGNUO, photographic equipment, camera accessories, flash light, camera remote control, speedlite, photo equipment, LED photo light, flash trigger, camera wireless remote control, TTL cord

I have just received one of these in the mail and have spent the last hour using and experimenting with it.
All this for just £126.99!!! :shock: :cheer: :thumbsup:
Anyway, thats my thoughts on the Yongnuo, a real viable alternative to a Canon Speedlight, and if anybody can answer the question I would appreciate it.
Cheers
Nick

Hi,

Hope you are good :) seen your Flickr pictures very nice Amazing :) ,

I'm on the same boat now, but cant effort Nikon SBxx.... even i don't like to buy used ones in ebay.
still no uk sellers in Amazon :(

I Found some seller might be better in UK for 1 year warranty,

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yongnuo-YN-568EX-TTL-Flash-Speedlite-HSS-for-Nikon-D7000-D5200-D5100-D5000-D3100-/140933228046?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraFlashUnits_JN&hash=item20d046660e

I had D5200 and love it, Amazing results, I also looked new YN560 III 2.4Ghz but I like TTL and a bit faster sync one. will you be able to sync with more that 1/4000 ?

what is Master/commander mode which is missing on 568EX !! is that necessary ? where did you bought from ?

Please suggest me, Thank you. i send the same message in Flickr...

Regards,

Vamsi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/webvamsi555/
Vamsi V's Profile - London, Eng, GB | Pixoto

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi there, I am having difficulty getting my SB700 to work in conjunction with my YN 568 EX N. Basically, I have a nikon D750 with the YongnuoYN-622N-TX i-TTL Wireless Flash Controller on it and two off camera flashes, one being the YN 568 EX N and an SB700 (Both on a Yongnuo`s i-TTL Transceiver YN622N ). I have tried setting up the channels as A & B , 1 & 2 , but only the Yongnuo flash fires... ? I have tried various settings using manual, I TTL, etc, but I can only get the Yongnuo flash to fire, the Nikon SB 700 doesn`t fire. I was hoping that someone out there could help me please??

Most reactions

Back