Young Photographer Looking To Buy Camera

I have 2 Rebels and love the camera. Since I'm not a pro and will never be, it meets all my needs and right now you can get one at a really really good price.

Let us know what you buy. Have fun shopping. It's half the fun!

I am 14 years old and at limited supply of cash, I need a camera. My goal in life is to be a sucessful photgrapher, and as such, I am in need of a camera. Now knowing next to nothing about cameras, I was hoping I could get some advice on which camera to buy... I am looking for a camera with a fast shutter speed, able to change lenses [or do all digital cameras do that?], sharp imaging, and a good strong zoom. Any suggestions?:greenpbl:

If money is tight, go with the Canon XTI (which should be lower in price in the next month or so) or the Nikon d40.

For first equipment, get yourself a decent flash and prime lens first. Yeah, it's not as neat as a lens that zooms and looks cooler, but if you want to be a good photographer, a prime lens will help you learn to line up shots earlier, rather than relearning skills later.

I will say, do your research. It's easy to just say "gimmie the nikon" or "gimmie the canon", but once you've invested in a few lenses and a flash, you find yourself more and more painted into your choice. Both are absolutely GREAT choices, but I think 1/2 of the wars that go on happen because people feel they have to support their purchase.

Canon Xti. Nikon D40 is Crap. weak and feels like a small Carrot in ur hand. CAnon Xsi or Xti. Work ur but off mowing lawns w.e. Even a Canon S5 w/is

while i am not a fan of the d40 either, they will still produce good images. i used one yesterday because all the d80's with the lens i wanted were taken (i rent from school). they d40 drives me crazy, especially since im used to a d80, but they do produce good images. atleast the d40x that i used. i have not used the regular d40, just hte d40x

Avoid the D40/D40x/D60.

A major design oversight was that they can only use certain lenses with built in focus motors.

Buy a used Canon 10D or 20D, or a used Nikon D50 or D70. You'll get a great camera and save a lot of money.

Also, if someone tells you 6MP isn't enough, they're full of it.

If you can I'd go for something life a Nikon d70. It's a great camera and its not toooo expensive at all!
(I don't know anything about canon so don't kill me for only suggesting a Nikon!)

If you can I'd go for something life a Nikon d70. It's a great camera and its not toooo expensive at all!
(I don't know anything about canon so don't kill me for only suggesting a Nikon!)

Not at all, the D70 is a great camera. It's older and you can get them for super cheap.

I noticed everyone suggested digital SLRs.

I suggest a film SLR *gasp*

Reason? If you enter an art college for any art field. They start you off from the basics. Say you wanted to be a painter or illustrator or graphic designer. They start you off pencil and paper and eventually move you up to paints, or the computer or whatever medium your field uses.

Same thing with photography. In most art schools when you enroll to learn photography, they start off with film cameras. They teach you the process of processing black and white film. How to use an enlarger and things related to film.

Good old film SLRs are incredibly cheap. 20 bucks can get you the body with a prime lens and get some rolls of film and you can shoot. I'm not about to start a debate on film vs. digital. Please don't go their. Personally I shoot both, and each has their charm and it all would depend on the situation and what was needed.

Good luck.

I noticed everyone suggested digital SLRs.

I suggest a film SLR *gasp*

Reason? If you enter an art college for any art field. They start you off from the basics. Say you wanted to be a painter or illustrator or graphic designer. They start you off pencil and paper and eventually move you up to paints, or the computer or whatever medium your field uses.

Same thing with photography. In most art schools when you enroll to learn photography, they start off with film cameras. They teach you the process of processing black and white film. How to use an enlarger and things related to film.

Good old film SLRs are incredibly cheap. 20 bucks can get you the body with a prime lens and get some rolls of film and you can shoot. I'm not about to start a debate on film vs. digital. Please don't go their. Personally I shoot both, and each has their charm and it all would depend on the situation and what was needed.

Good luck.

You did not notice my first post. :(

In what way does that not address the conditions of the opening post? You can ask any good photo shop to put the images from the film onto a CD so you have digital copies rather than printed copies. And a film SLR will give you the changable lenses, a wide range of shutter speeds.....

In what way does that not address the conditions of the opening post? You can ask any good photo shop to put the images from the film onto a CD so you have digital copies rather than printed copies. And a film SLR will give you the changable lenses, a wide range of shutter speeds.....

?? I am not sure how to translate your post....Is that directed at me or just thorwn out into the general air?

A major design oversight
Why do people say this. It's not a design oversight. Its designed that way on purpose to disintguish it from the current line of upper level pro cameras Nikon puts out.

Get a D50. Still solid camera, but man getting one that someones isnt trying to unload all their crap accesories and "DVD Training Video" on might be tough.

Battou, sorry, it seems like you were looking only for a digital camera when you said the suggestion to get a film slr didn't address your first post.

Battou, sorry, it seems like you were looking only for a digital camera when you said the suggestion to get a film slr didn't address your first post.

Ah, now I get it. It was not the suggestion to get a film SLR that didn't address my first post, it was the suggestion that everyone suggested digital SLRs that didn't address my first post.

I am prolly one of the biggest advocates of buy film first digi later and I only get more so when such a small budget is a factor.:lol:

Ah. Well, I'm a big supporter of digital over film, because there are many advantages that film simply can't offer. But I understand that film can be a more cost efficient solution. Getting your film developed onto a CD instead of prints gives the best of both worlds. Just check what resolution they are putting it as. You should be getting at least a six megapixel imnage from scanning film.

Most reactions

Back