Your own family functions?

sxesweets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do find yourself just taking snaps at your own functions or actually taking photos? How do you balance staying involved in the function and taking great photos.? Are you more critical about all the photos that other people take at your events or do you actually enjoy looking through them? Sorry so many questions, just little thoughts that I've had.

i do this a lot... if its just snapping around at fun stuff... i just take snaps using auto.. but if its like a family portrait, i put more effort into it

It can be hard to balance. People see to expect more from you. I will try find some time to take thoughtful shots, but not always. If I really want to have a good time, I leave the camera at home.

And I love looking through peoples photos; good, bad, and ugly. Even though I try not to, I sometimes find myself critiqing someones snapshots in my mind. Then I remember its about sharing memories - its not always about composition, lighting, exposure.

I havn't gone to any family/friends functions with my dSLR, but I have before with P&S.

I like taking pictures to capture the moments. I want the people looking at the photo to know what the people are doing. When it's at a family function, I would prepare for a shot, and they all look at the camera and smile. They always want to pose.

Other than that, I still enjoy taking them.

I rarely 'snap' anymore. Even photos at family events I find myself looking for compositional issues, and trying to get 'that' shot.

my camera goes EVERYWHERE with me.
Even if I don't as much part in the action, I have the photos to remind me.

I missed interacting with some awesome dogs at a dog show because I was too busy photographing them. Same with interacting with my trainer's puppy.
I wanted to hug and smoosh that cute little fur ball, but she wanted photos and so did I.

It's odd to think this way, but: I DON'T miss things, though, that most DO miss, when I'm by myself photographing them.

lol thats funny.. i tried taking photos of my brothers soccer game once but hated it b/c i couldnt watch the game very much =(
i like soccer too much to take photos rather than watch!

Yeah, I don't really enjoy taking my camera with me to family outings, or hanging out with friends etc. My reasoning is 2-fold. One, I am there as a participant not an observer, and two if I were to try to take photos unless I did not participate in the activities etc. I would not get photos that please my criticalness. I have done that in the past and am generally very upset at the photos.

Most reactions

Back