Zone System - Contemporary Usage

I know you just can't explain it; where's that section in The Zone System about exposing digital to the left?

Joe

That's not part of the Zone System, that's just taking advantage of the shadow recovery of digital sensors. Expose to the right works wonder for film, especially color film. This is why I don't listen to the bull sh1t that people post on forums. People are good at parroting information with no real world experience or actual work to show for. :D

This is getting boring.... yawn...

I use the Zone System for quick precise exposure and couldn't careless about the opinions of self proclaim online experts .

People are good at parroting information with no real world experience or actual work to show for. :D

This is getting boring.... yawn...

And you criticized me for making assumptions. You're inability to explain or defend your claims along with your inconsistencies satisfies me just fine. Go ahead make some more assumptions.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
And you criticized me for making assumptions. You're inability to explain or defend your claims along with your inconsistencies satisfies me just fine. Go ahead make some more assumptions.

Joe

Aww... name calling. CUTE!

I use the tonal scale in the Zone System to aid with precise exposure in both digital and analog, you and the rest of the self proclaim online experts can sit and pout how that's not using the Zone System all you want. I expose digital to the left to take advantage of the shadow recovery of digital sensors. Why do I need to explain or defend anything that I do? LOL If people don't get, or don't agree, with what I do and my process then keep on walking. I shoot over 100,000 digital frames and over 5000 shots in film yearly. I do just fine regardless of the opinions of the self proclaim online experts. LOL

This reminds me, there was one time people on here said I'm wrong about storytelling and it's not helpful. Then, Annie Leibovitz came out with a commercial for her master class a few weeks later brought up the storytelling aspect. Yep, I'm definitely troll! LOL :D

Joe

Aww... name calling. CUTE!

I use the tonal scale in the Zone System to aid with precise exposure in both digital and analog, you and the rest of the self proclaim online experts can sit and pout how that's not using the Zone System all you want. I expose digital to the left to take advantage of the shadow recovery of digital sensors. Why do I need to explain or defend anything that I do? LOL If people don't get, or don't agree, with what I do and my process then keep on walking. I shoot over 100,000 digital frames and over 5000 shots in film yearly. I do just fine regardless of the opinions of the self proclaim online experts. LOL

This reminds me, there was one time people on here said I'm wrong about storytelling and it's not helpful. Then, Annie Leibovitz came out with a commercial for her master class a few weeks later brought up the storytelling aspect. Yep, I'm definitely troll! LOL :D

All __you__ are doing is taking light meter readings and varying from them! And you think that is "the Zone System".

I suppose the last commercial aircraft ride you took made you "an astronaut".

And the aches and pains you cured with some aspirin made you "a medical doctor".

And you opened a can of soup, and now are, "a classically trained chef."

You all need to step back from this thread. The increase in inflammatory rhetoric isn't going to get you anything but a locked thread. The OP isn't even involved at this point.

So cool down. Thanks.

All __you__ are doing is taking light meter readings and varying from them! And you think that is "the Zone System".

And the aches and pains you cured with some aspirin made you "a medical doctor".

Uh I never said that's all the Zone System is. LOL

The difference is that I'm not here to claim to be an expert on anything. How bad my work will speak for itself LOL. I'm no astronaut, doctor, chef, or amazing photographer. Some of the self proclaim experts on here got all butt hurt because I don't care about their opinion. I'd respect people more if they put some of the information they parroting to actual work and show it. It's like someone who can memorize all these recipes but can't cook for sh1t, but keep on spewing them out as if they're some amazing chef. They LOVE to try to correct people to make them feel like they're worth something. I find it entertaining. :D

Last edited:

Uh I never said that's all the Zone System is. LOL

The difference is that I'm not here to claim to be an expert on anything. How bad my work will speak for itself LOL. I'm no astronaut, doctor, chef, or amazing photographer. Some of the self proclaim experts on here got all butt hurt because I don't care about their opinion. I'd respect people more if they put some of the information they parroting to actual work and show it. It's like someone who can memorize all these recipes but can't cook for sh1t, but keep on spewing them out as if they're some amazing chef. They LOVE to try to correct people to make them feel like they're worth something. I find it entertaining. :D

It seems to me, and likely to others, that some folks around here do not understand what the words "Zone System" really refers to. Merely taking a light meter reading, and deviating from that light meter reading, does not mean that one is, "using the Zone System".

If taking a meter reading and deviating from that meter reading were using the Zone System, then wouldn't it also be using the Zone System if one simply used the exposure compensation button, and dialed in Plus 1.0 EV, or Minus 1.3 EV?

I am not here to, as you so condescendingly put it, "to claim to be an expert on anything", but when I see misinformation related to photographic topics, I will speak up.

Once again, simply taking a light meter reading, and deviating from that light meter suggestion, is not to be construed as, "Using the Zone System
".

but when I see misinformation related to photographic topics, I will speak up.

As will I

Once again, simply taking a light meter reading, and deviating from that light meter suggestion, is not to be construed as, "Using the Zone System".

Failed! That's not the way I do it because you will need to understand the tonal chart from the zone system to take the guest work out of it and gt a precise exposure on your first shot.

But regardless, again, who are you to tell me that it is not? LOL We may disagree on if my use of the tonal chart from the Zone System is actually using the system, or part of the system, but oh please. What you think of what I do is irrelevant even if it's in bold letters. LOL

IBTL

Sorry @terri

Last edited:
Okay okay, I get it! You're all too cool to care what anyone thinks. The horse is dead. The thread won't have to be locked if y'all would just Let.It.Go.

Move on. Go take some pictures or something.

Sheesh.

I did expect that my original post might spawn a diatribe on whether the zone system still applies at all. Yep.

My original post did not specifically ask if it was still valid with digital:

A bit of a survey here ...

How many members still employ the Zone System in their photography?
Are you professional? Ameteur? Artist? Landscape? Portraiture?
Do you use the Tiffen contrast lenses that replace the original Kodak Wratten #90?
Do you use the Zone System with digital cameras?.
Provide any further insights, for example, using digital software, metering systems, etc.

I've been watching for someone to even mention the use of histograms and that came only as a passing comment. Neither were exposure bracketing, HDR and other exposure evaluations considered. And worse, nobody touched on the fact that there is a huge population of photogs who still shoot film. And that's a comment I'm making here that's likely to spin off another huge diatribe. But it is true. You can prove that by noting the number of photography businesses that are prospering in that niche alone. The Zone System is therefore still alive and contemporary. Somebody out there is shooting B&W film.

Only one member actually took the survey; the rest just flailed.

I did expect that my original post might spawn a diatribe on whether the zone system still applies at all. Yep.

My original post did not specifically ask if it was still valid with digital:

A bit of a survey here ...

How many members still employ the Zone System in their photography?
Are you professional? Ameteur? Artist? Landscape? Portraiture?
Do you use the Tiffen contrast lenses that replace the original Kodak Wratten #90?
Do you use the Zone System with digital cameras?.
Provide any further insights, for example, using digital software, metering systems, etc.

I've been watching for someone to even mention the use of histograms and that came only as a passing comment. Neither were exposure bracketing, HDR and other exposure evaluations considered. And worse, nobody touched on the fact that there is a huge population of photogs who still shoot film. And that's a comment I'm making here that's likely to spin off another huge diatribe. But it is true. You can prove that by noting the number of photography businesses that are prospering in that niche alone. The Zone System is therefore still alive and contemporary. Somebody out there is shooting B&W film.

Only one member actually took the survey; the rest just flailed.

Was there a reason why you didn't just go ahead and ask people about histograms or bracketing or HDR? Was this some kind of photo forum Thunderdome?

Was there a reason why you didn't just go ahead and ask people about histograms or bracketing or HDR? Was this some kind of photo forum Thunderdome

This was no Thunderdome. I had thought about including Qs about histograms, HDR, metering, etc., but did not want to overload things. I did include the following:

Provide any further insights, for example, using digital software, metering systems, et

I figure that the type of photog that still uses the zone falls into the category of photo artist or photo specialty, not photojournalist, product photographer, etc. Though ameteur or beginner might. I am a photo artist and a very technical one at that. I am an analytic. I sought to draw out those photogs who share my views and insights.

Are you professional? Ameteur? Artist? Landscape? Portraiture

So far that appears to have failed.

I am new to this forum and have to ask: What would you have the forum do for you, provide a stage for thumping your chest or be a place for sharing thoughts and resources.

I am new to this forum and have to ask: What would you have the forum do for you, provide a stage for thumping your chest or be a place for sharing thoughts and resources.
Both happen, frequently.

Most reactions

Back