Zoom lens necessary?

lindsayk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am purchasing my first "real" camera this week and I've decided on a Nikon D3100 after reading that it is quote a good camera for beginners. I've found it on Amazon for a good price and they have a zoom lens listed as an add on sale. I'm just wondering if it was necessary or not. My feeling is that I won't need it since I am just starting to learn but figured I'd ask others' opinions as well.

The lens they have listed for the add-on is a Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR [Vibration Reduction] Nikkor Zoom Lens.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I'm guessing that the 'main' lens that comes with the camera is going to be an 18-55mm zoom. If so, that is a good lens to get started with...but really, 'just starting out'...doesn't mean much when it comes to choosing from these lenses. The 55-200mm lens has a longer focal length (than the 18-55mm), and thus it allows you to zoom into things that are farther away (or closer into things that aren't far away). So if you think you'll be shooting things that are farther away, then it might be a good idea to get a lens like that. If you are more likely to shoot things that are closer to you, then you might be better off spending that money elsewhere.

It really depends on what you plan on taking pictures of... When I got my T2i, I decided to get the kit with the 18-55 and 55-250 lens, just so I could cover a broad range of distances with the lenses. I figured the 55-250 would come in handy for taking pictures of my nephew's peewee football games, and pictures at the zoo, and the 18-55 for some portraiture until I get the 70-200 f2.8 and 24-70 f2.8 (hopefully will have those this year).

Moral of the story: It depends on what you're taking pictures of.

...Moral of the story: It depends on what you're taking pictures of.

Very true! If the budget allows, I would suggest getting the additional lens as this will greatly increase your versatilty and broaden your photographic horizon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back