Critique or encouragement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone believes that they can move forward artistically by talking to someone else about their work then they are greatly mistaken. People can share information and gain input that will further their work technically, but if you're looking to improve your work artistically then that responsibility is entirely on you.

Dew, no offense, but you place far too much of the responsibly for you to grow on others. That's your own responsibility and you will never grow as a photographer or an artist if you’re looking for someone to show you how (to grow).

What is the "Big Boys" club exactly? Just because someone is a professional photographer doesn't mean that there photos are any better then an amateur’s. Sure they make money (and not necessarily good money), but are their photos any better then mine? There's more money in commercial photos then there is in artistic vision. I'd rather see artistic vision.

It’s important to explore. Keep in mind explorers search out uncharted territory. They don’t ask others what’s nice and where they should visit; that would be tourist.

It's often a loss when someone who has contributed a lot decides it's time to move on, but that doesn't have to reflect poorly on the community.

MarkC: You're quite right. I've stayed out of most of this and eventually this thread will die on its own when everyone who knows Dew sees that she has pulled her profile, website link, etc and has left.

I don't think this particular community is going to suffer without Dew's input, though I will miss her and her humor. But a few of her comments directed at this forum were borderline offensive, and I am still puzzled over her outburst of yesterday. But she had it, she did it, and she's off to what she perceives as greener pastures with better information for her goals. So, I wish her well.

Welcome to the forums, if I haven't personally said that to you yet. :D I found your comments honest, if blunt, and I appreciated them very much.

Ok. I'm done now. :wink:

graigdavis said:
terri said:
But a few of her comments directed at this forum were borderline offensive, and I am still puzzled over her outburst of yesterday.

I was wondering if anyone else thought that too. :?
I'm wondering if anyone did NOT have that feeling.

im insulted and offended.

I hope doxx sees this, and i hope dew sees this.

"i am better than all of you" is not an acceptable character trait.

md

MDowdey said:

But it is a trait that I often encounter amongst artist types, along with passionate emotions. I wouldn't take anything personal.

MDowdey wrote:

But it is a trait that I often encounter amongst artist types, along with passionate emotions.

But it can be perceived as an elitist one, Matt, and I think that's what has set everyone back a bit on this one. Just the element of surprise. For those here who have been around since the forum started, I would think it's hard not to take a *bit* personally. But it will pass, of course. We all wish Dew well. :)

ksmattfish said:
MDowdey said:

But it is a trait that I often encounter amongst artist types, along with passionate emotions. I wouldn't take anything personal.

We just have to remember that we are below her on the totem pole. Maybe some day we can all be like her. I know I strive to get that goal every day. Untill then, we can all gather in this uneducated forum. :roll:

graigdavis said:
ksmattfish said:
MDowdey said:

We just have to remember that we are below her on the totem pole. Maybe some day we can all be like her. I know I strive to get that goal every day. Untill then, we can all gather in this uneducated forum. :roll:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

right on brutha!!
md

I say it's time for a group hug for those of us sticking around!

Personally, I don't feel like I am "beneath anyone on the totem pole" (or above anyone either). I also don't feel that this is an uneducated forum but I am all for the group hug. So... consider yourselves hugged!

:love: :smileys: :love:

I go away for 4 days and look at what goes on!
I always miss the drama.

This is a forum and a bloody good one. We've got professionals, amateurs, in betweeners and straight out lovers of photography here. I don't think this place was ever advertised as the forum to learn and grow with your art. Its a place to talk about photography with fellow photography lovers.

The reason this place IS such a happy, fun and welcoming place is because its made up of people without egos. If you want that, go to photosig and other elitist forums. I came here and stayed because people were friendly, liked having a joke and also seemed to like photography as much as I do.
Not being a professional or anything close to it, I stayed also because as a side, I thought I would learn a thing or two from people here as there are so many knowledgable and talented ones who not only are willing to help but seem to enjoy doing so.
I never found that at other forums.

I can understand that Dew wants to stretch herself, Im not sure what that has to do with us as a forum, but I do understand her need to do that.
However...
When nukie, luckydog, James M and I met up a couple weeks ago, lucky and i were talking about Dew.
I dont in fact remember talking about her photography. We talked about her fabulous laugh and wacky sense of humour.
Thats why I come here.
The people.
The people....oh and they also happen to like photography too, so thats an added bonus.

I'm thankful we do have professionals here that ARE so willing to share their knowledge.
I'm thankful that there are beginners here who are so willing to share their love and are game enough to ask for help.

You better all not be having a group hug without me!!!!

TPF Forever :D

manda said:
I go away for 4 days and look at what goes on!
I always miss the drama.

I was just thinking the same thing! I can't take a couple of weeks vacation without everyone getting in a brawl!! :wink:

Oh well, I've been off polishing my photoshopping and getting acclimated to working 2nd shift, but I'm slowly finding more time to come around.
I for one miss this place when I'm gone, and can't wait to get back.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back