The DEATH of the Consumer Camera?

That the vast majority of people who want images for social media will use smart phones is a no-brainer. So will the vast majority of people who can satisfy their creativity by selecting pre-programmed choices.

But I don't see how the camera industry is going to die because of it. I mean in his very video his very charts show a healthy camera industry that was selling far lower volumes of cameras then it does presently, it wasn't dead then so why should it be now?

There was a time when it was thought Television would mean the death of the Movie Industry too....

We should be grateful.
With the advent of the death of the dslr
then Tony won't have anything to make any more complaining false videos of

I can't wait until that day. :)

But I don't see how the camera industry is going to die because of it. I mean in his very video his very charts show a healthy camera industry that was selling far lower volumes of cameras then it does presently, it wasn't dead then so why should it be now?

We should be grateful.
With the advent of the death of the dslr then Tony won't have anything to make any more complaining false videos of

But... I don't think he was declaring the death of the camera industry as a whole, I think he was declaring the death of the low-end consumer camera, which I think is probably true. But like I said, I can't guarantee that's his thesis as I opted out of his boring speech pattern before he really got to his point. My hypothesis is that semi-pro dslr's are the new "low-end" consumer camera.

We should be grateful.
With the advent of the death of the dslr then Tony won't have anything to make any more complaining false videos of

But... I don't think he was declaring the death of the camera industry as a whole, I think he was declaring the death of the low-end consumer camera, which I think is probably true. But like I said, I can't guarantee that's his thesis as I opted out of his boring speech pattern before he really got to his point. My hypothesis is that semi-pro dslr's are the new "low-end" consumer camera.
Really? You think all the mom's and pop's are going to go out and by 1Dx MII's, D5's or Hasselblad H4-D's? If you actually read the posts in the various forums here, especially the beginner forum, and the various individual make forums, especially the Canon and Nikon forums you would know that is not true. It's all about what consumer lens for my consumer camera I just bought.

All I know is that over the past few years I've seen the decline in SLR and bridge cameras at theme parks, steadily replaced with first phones and now GoPros/phones/tablets. Lots of GoPros the past two years though.

All I know is that over the past few years I've seen the decline in SLR and bridge cameras at theme parks, steadily replaced with first phones and now GoPros/phones/tablets. Lots of GoPros the past two years though.
I still see plenty of dslr and mirrorless at the zoo. Yes, as small cameras in such devices improve it does change the market.

But I don't see the dslr going anywhere anytime soon. The stuff still sells like crazy even used.

There are still more than enough folks who want a higher end camera than what a cellphone or similar device can provide.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Really? You think all the mom's and pop's are going to go out and by 1Dx MII's, D5's or Hasselblad H4-D's?

I'm not sure if you mean stores or actual moms and dads, but my hypothesis remains. Maybe it's just the communities I've lived in, which tend to be wealthier than other regions of America. But, even back in 2009 when I was in Memphis, average people were opting out of typical point and shoots and opting in for DSLRs. And this is something I've been seeing since I was in high-school, circa 2002. The young people coming up who want to get into photography have already been using things that are beyond a typical point and shoot camera.
But you're right, currently, the semi-pros are just that. My argument is that as technology advances, and prices become more affordable for better tech, what is now considered semi-pro (mid-range) gear is going to become the new entry-level.

I use my cellphone a lot.
But my 150-600mm doesn't hook up very well to it.

My cellphone totally beats my Nikon P7800 in most regards to the point the P7800's only real world advantage is a flippy screen and a full manual mode.

P&S's I think are dead in relation to cellphones. I had a P&S and I never used it vs my cellphone which I thought was better in nearly every category that a basic user normally uses for pics and video.

I use my cellphone a lot.
But my 150-600mm doesn't hook up very well to it.

My cellphone totally beats my Nikon P7800 in most regards to the point the P7800's only real world advantage is a flippy screen and a full manual mode.

P&S's I think are dead in relation to cellphones. I had a P&S and I never used it vs my cellphone which I thought was better in nearly every category that a basic user normally uses for pics and video.
I would agree that the cheap P&S's are in decline. The cellphone cameras are their equal these days and more convenient.

Ok, for those of us who either don't have sound at work on our PC or really don't want to sit through a long boring video maybe you could summarize the viewpoint and tell us why it's interesting?
A dumb moron says dumb moronic things.

Ok, for those of us who either don't have sound at work on our PC or really don't want to sit through a long boring video maybe you could summarize the viewpoint and tell us why it's interesting?
A dumb moron says dumb moronic things.
You talking about Tony Northrup or Banana Breath??? Just trying to make sure I understand where your comment is directed. :biggrin-new::biglaugh:

Last edited:
I was a little shocked by the number of DLSR and Brdige cameras I saw when touring UK and Italy actually... Like way more than I'd expect. I think people still realize, if they want good captures, they need a tool that can capture well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back