What's new

2 Peeps

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Mar 23, 2012
Messages
3,160
Reaction score
717
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was shooting "Friday Night Live" which is a talent show kind of thing every other Friday. Now, this was my first time shooting in a dark setting so I really got to experiment with exposure. Because if I wanted to get the actors well exposed, the background would be underexposed. Or if I wanted the background to be exposed properly the people would be overexposed. I ended up going with underexposed background so the actors would be well exposed. Perhaps there are methods to get both well exposed - not HDR because it's constant movement, but maybe I could experiment with flash, but not until I get a diffuser.

So...
 

Attachments

  • $337586_4139581260765_1800313910_o.webp
    $337586_4139581260765_1800313910_o.webp
    41.9 KB · Views: 136
I like it. You managed to put the guy(?) in darkness at a really pretty great level. Dim and shadowed, but not lost. The viewer has to work a little to see, but it rewarded with a great expression.
 
I like the yin yang and light/dark of the shot, it is a shot that to me should be balanced in all ways and the crop doesn't seem to be playing nicely within that theme.
Perhaps a little off the top to make it equal to the space at the bottom...
 
$337586_4139581260765_1800313910_o.webp?
 
Pretty decent exposure given the circumstances. Some black is lost in the right frame (same concept as blown highlights, except completely lost blacks, aka shadow clipping). You may have room in the raw to pull those deep shadows back, but the DR is fairly high here.

I encourage you to continue posting images here for CC, as that is the fastest way you will improve.

Post your best, favorite images, tell us what you like, don't like, and ask for CC, and you will be surprised at how it opens your eyes to things you have not seen before.
 
I like it but in a different way. I think it might take away a little of the mystery from the guy in black.

What do you think?
 
Yeah, I like it being kinda dark :)
 
I'm guessing that this is the extent of the backdrop normally. given that, and the stage lighting which is not set up to yield any particular mood, you did as well as can be expected.

If you had some leverage with the troupe, or the producer, or even the ticket taker, you might try some flash photography here. I think that each actor would need to be illuminated individually, which takes time to set up, but if these guys are friends of yours, I'm sure they would cooperate in getting some good shots.
 
I'm guessing that this is the extent of the backdrop normally. given that, and the stage lighting which is not set up to yield any particular mood, you did as well as can be expected.

If you had some leverage with the troupe, or the producer, or even the ticket taker, you might try some flash photography here. I think that each actor would need to be illuminated individually, which takes time to set up, but if these guys are friends of yours, I'm sure they would cooperate in getting some good shots.

Thanks :) Unfortunately, I do not know any of those people; troupe, producer, ticket taker, or actors. Yeah, I figured this would be a good situation for flash but I only have one, and like you inferenced, it wasn't allowed anyways :(
 
Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't see anything worthy in the image besides decent exposure of the actors.

In regards to the flash, it probably wouldn't do you much help from the audience. You would definitely need to get it off camera and somewhere around on the stage. Not sure how they'd feel about that, being that you are just a fan. BUT, you never know until you ask :)
 
Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't see anything worthy in the image besides decent exposure of the actors.

In regards to the flash, it probably wouldn't do you much help from the audience. You would definitely need to get it off camera and somewhere around on the stage. Not sure how they'd feel about that, being that you are just a fan. BUT, you never know until you ask :)

Well actually I was getting down and around the stage. Not on it, but right on top of it pretty much, just not this shot.
 
Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't see anything worthy in the image besides decent exposure of the actors.

In regards to the flash, it probably wouldn't do you much help from the audience. You would definitely need to get it off camera and somewhere around on the stage. Not sure how they'd feel about that, being that you are just a fan. BUT, you never know until you ask :)

Well actually I was getting down and around the stage. Not on it, but right on top of it pretty much, just not this shot.

If you're a guy, maybe you'll like this more ;)
 

Attachments

  • $561713_4139599421219_1477140802_n.webp
    $561713_4139599421219_1477140802_n.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 101
I think these photos show you have a developing eye for a good photo. The actors are very expressive and you have a nice neutral background with which to work. Keep shooting with care and posting your best.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom