2 pics (extreme sport)

Yep the last two are correct!!! I use to work at a skate park and witnessed many a photo shoot. The approach is much different. It's not about artistic qualities or showing emotional determination and triumph, It's about getting shots that freeze the motion and display the trick that is being done. And the whole getting down low and showing just the skateboarder with nothing underneath is more of an artistic cliche and would not necessarily be a shot that someone would want for their portfolio. Not all types of photography call for the same cliched compositional rules and thought processes. Just because something is done differently doesn't mean its wrong.

Although I do wholeheartedly agree that he needs to shot from a lower perspective. But I can say there is nothing wrong with his background elements minus the lights. And yes this is something I have an idea about.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en....,cf.osb&fp=c90df99994666e90&biw=1366&bih=559

Last edited:
Rose, what kind of work did you do at a skatepark?

Rose, what kind of work did you do at a skatepark?

Just general staff work. But I hung out with a lot of the skaters and have seen a fair amount of magazines, videos, photoshoots etc.

Just general staff work. But I hung out with a lot of the skaters and have seen a fair amount of magazines, videos, photoshoots etc.
Oh I wasn't asking for validation. :p Just curious!
Lol!! You skateboard I take it?

Yup, not so much anymore unless it's with my boys.
zzzzzplaza-1.jpg

Yah, right.

You know way more about this stuff than I do.

It would seem that he does in this case. I've been reading skate mags and skating since 1997 and now my kids are skateboarders. I've literally seen millions of amazing skate photos where you couldn't see the skaters face.

I quick google search will tell you show you that.

But then again, maybe the photogs for TWS and Thrasher need to take a lesson from you!
Y'all aren't grasping the flaws in your logic.

Tell me this isn't a good photo -

zzKoston.jpg

As a skateboarder I can tell I don't care about seeing a skaters face in a photo. I want to see the obstacle and I want to see the skaters body language. We look at a pic and try to judge how difficult the trick was for that particular skater. You do this by checking their body language. Not facial expressions. 9 times out of 10, a skater will have the same expression anyway unless they're about to eat it.

Keith?

To the OP.
You could have used flash. Or more flash.
Keep on doing it bro.

you have got too see where they are taking off from... which is better? a kickflip on flat or a kickflip on a mega ramp? the mega ramp right? well if you dont include a starting point then they are both the same although the mega ramp is a hell of alot harder.... and this isnt just my opinion its EVERY SINGLE photographer's opinion for bmx skate rollerblading EVERYTHING!!!

Yah, right.

You know way more about this stuff than I do.

It would seem that he does in this case. I've been reading skate mags and skating since 1997 and now my kids are skateboarders. I've literally seen millions of amazing skate photos where you couldn't see the skaters face.

I quick google search will tell you show you that.

But then again, maybe the photogs for TWS and Thrasher need to take a lesson from you!
Y'all aren't grasping the flaws in your logic.

You just can't handle that in all the photography books you've read and studied that you're now wrong because you don't understand skate/bike photography. We aren't taking portraits to see how the skater is feeling or if the light compliments his cheekbones. It's about the trick and obstacle.

Anyway here is a picture of me doing a pointless trick to cheer you up, check out that expression

Last edited:
If the only point of this is to show the trick, then it's not photography. If you don't care about the lighting or the background, but only to show off the trick, how can you call it photography? You must always consider composition. Facial expressions aren't an absolute necessity, but it helps to convey the attitude, the emotion and the concentration of the skater. The same applies to football (soccer), ice skating, running - sports shots.

As a photographer, you're job isn't first and foremost to think as a skater, but as a photographer. If a photograph is good, then photographers can spot what makes it good, regardless of their field. Basic composition is always important.

That shot on page 2, that wasn't particularly good, imo.

Not in skating/biking. No skater... looks at a picture in a mag and rates the trick based on how hard the guys facial expression looks... he rates it on how difficult the trick is/the surrounding/ the obstacle.
You are wrong.

Hes right man... take a look at a skate or BMX mag. Obviously the trick is very important but the face can really make the shot.

Ummm what extreme sports photos are you looking at where they look and smile at the camera?

I took this a few months ago :) Colton's pretty sick... flare no hander in a vert bowl with a complimentary look at that camera haha

Colton by Summit42, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back