$400 to burn on Nikon gear

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The rebate checks have arrived in the amount of $195 and I thought to at least match it on a new purchase.

I really don't need a new lens because the next ones will probably by the 105mm f/2.8 at ~$800USD or the 10.5mm Fisheye at ~$600USD and the 85mm f/1.4 is ~$1K. Don't need either right now, but am willing to listen to advice on others. No third party jokes, please.

My first thoughts with the rebate $$ was the MB-D10 battery grip for the D300, which is high on the list. The grip retails for $240 plus ~$30 for a multi-pack of AA Ni-MH batteries. (don't see the sense in getting the D3 battery + charger + battery chamber cover)

Second thoughts was another SB-800 which pairs with a SB-600 and SB-800 already in hand. However, I'm not making any money with my photography now and that doesn't seem to make a great deal of sense other than the fun of multiple flash.

I just bought a 1TB WD external hard drive and LightRoom 2 is a new addition. CS3 will be my X-mas gift to myself. I've got plenty of memory cards as well.

Got any ideas on how to spend my money? Oh and BTW, it needs to be tied in with a purchase from Adorama.

50 1.4? 85 1.8 (almost as good as the 1.4 in terms of sharpness)? Or a pretty nice tripod setup? I've used the D300 with a grip before, and I have to say it's a significantly nicer feeling grip than the older ones. It feels like an actually pro-body rather than a consumer camera with a big plastic lump on the bottom. The only thing is you can only throw one battery in it and you have to take the grip off the camera to charge your second battery. Obviously a ploy from Nikon to get people to purchase more expensive D3 batteries.

I'd probably just bite the bullet and get the grip or save the cash for the more expensive lenses.

Cheers Antithesis.

Already have the 50mm & 85mm f/1.8 lenses as well as a pretty decent tripod legs and heads.

The grip is still on the top of the heap at the moment.

I can highly recommend both the grip and the 10.5 fisheye lens... money well spent there... the extra flash might come in handy if you plan on doing some strobist style stuff... tough call!

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards the grip... I've never taken it off... but then, my fisheye is my go-to lens... I don't think I could live without either. :)

gravy,
did you pony up for the EN-EL4a battery +,+ or did you go the 8 AA's?

Add a few bucks and get a 14-24mm, it's the wide version of a 200/2, simply astounding.

Thanks Raindog, but I have the 12-24mm f/4 already.

Okay, to make it simple and less redundant, I have the following lenses.

18-55mm kit lens
55-200mm VR secondary kit lens
(Neither used and probably up for sale)

35mm f.2.0
50mm f/1.8
85mm f/1.8
300mm f/4
12-24mm f/4
24-70mm f/2.8 VR
70-200mm f/2.8 VR
1.7x Teleconverter

So, I'm really not looking for a lens this time around.

Is that the best you lot can do to spend someone else's money? FFS, I thought better of TPF members. Hell, I've even thought about blowing off the dust from my Canon EOS film camera. But I suppose you folks couldn't handle that either.

C'mon, somebody's got an idea for sure.

Definitely get the grip! The 10.5 is nice, but you'l use the grip a LOT more often than the 10.5. I got the grip and a handful of the standard batteries; I can't be bothered with the AAs, and with the two batteries, that gives me a LOT of exposures between charges.

$400? Nikon? OK, which filter are you going to buy? :D

a far cry from 400 bucks, but there IS a new 85/1.4, oh yes. it MIGHT have AFS, and it MIGHT have a nano-coated element, I MIGHT be full of sh!t - who knows, not like I've got one :D

Thanks notelliot, but........

I really don't need a new lens because the next ones.....

Already have the 50mm & 85mm f/1.8 lenses.....

Okay, to make it simple and less redundant, I have the following lenses.
So, I'm really not looking for a lens this time around.

I guess that means that a new lens isn't needed or wanted at the moment.

$400? Nikon? OK, which filter are you going to buy? :D
Good idea, but unfortunately Adorama didn't carry (that I could find) the Singh-Ray filters I have in mind.

Pick out your favorite photo and have it enlarged, matted and framed.

Show it off and it might help with that money thing too. ;)
Another good idea, but I want gear. :biggrin:

From the equipment you listed above you don't seem like a simple hobbyist. If that is the case maybe a second camera body is good investment. I won't mention D40 as it will make some people panting breath. Maybe top end compact will do?

Happy spending.

but am willing to listen to advice on others. No third party jokes, please.
oops.

wireless remote release?
SB-800 is a good option, though like you say, maybe not the best at the moment.
tripod/ball head?
OR, what about lighting stuff, ie an umbrella or a couple softboxes?

I'm tapped.

ps - if you do a lot of one-handed shooting, sounds silly, but I find the grip pretty awkward for it and my hands aren't small. also, the EN-El4a + the charger and grip component is pretty expensive, wouldn't advise it for 2 addtional frames per second.. 8 AA's will do it for you until the novelty wears off lol. (but holy crap, that was a personal opinion.)

Last edited:
As Monty Python would say, "And now for something completely different."

Personally, if I was asking those questions the first thing I would get is a savings account, cookie jar or piggy bank and put the money there. Add to it as you can, nickles and dimes make dollars. Then when a real need/want pops up you will have the money for it. There are tons of great toys, gadgets and wingamjigs in photography, and almost no one can afford them all. But selective purchasing of those things that really make a difference is both frugal and rewarding.

Or you could send the money to me. With what I have saved from my overtime lately it would give me enough to by the Wimberly II head for my 400 f2.8.:D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back