What's new

A Nature Stairway

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Mar 23, 2012
Messages
3,160
Reaction score
717
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this at Belle Isle, Richmond, VA, the other day around noon (with my ultracompact digital camera, a Canon Powershot). I'm a noob, what do you think?
 

Attachments

  • $IMG_8316.webp
    $IMG_8316.webp
    2.4 MB · Views: 95
Not the best time to photograph; the light at noon tends to be direct and harsh, as opposed to earlier in the morning and later evening when it's a little more soft and "gentle" due to the sun's angle relative to the horizon. Search the term 'golden hour'. The image itself has potential, but I would like to see it without the freeway ramp or whatever the structure is image left.
 
The location seems to have potential but it just looks like a snap shot and it quite bland.

I'm with tirediron as for trying to shoot at a different time of day. You may also want to look into some composition guidelines.

Keep shooting
 
Not the best time to photograph; the light at noon tends to be direct and harsh, as opposed to earlier in the morning and later evening when it's a little more soft and "gentle" due to the sun's angle relative to the horizon. Search the term 'golden hour'. The image itself has potential, but I would like to see it without the freeway ramp or whatever the structure is image left.

Thanks for the advice, I see what you mean about the light. I will definitely look into the "golden hour." As for the highway above, it's kind of difficult to remove that with what I was going for. I wanted the stairs to be centered, and I can't really help the highway being there :( maybe some post-production work?
 
The location seems to have potential but it just looks like a snap shot and it quite bland.

I'm with tirediron as for trying to shoot at a different time of day. You may also want to look into some composition guidelines.

Keep shooting

Could you define "snap shot?" I definitely did this spur of the moment. I bring my camera with me wherever I go and I just happened to pass this at Belle Isle so I took a picture, would that be defined as a snap shot? So far I haven't posted any of my stuff that I've gone to photograph intentionally, for fear it will get negative comments on what I think is good, but I will eventually as I know it is necessary. Also, could you direct me to a good source of composition guidelines?
 
DGMPhotography said:
Could you define "snap shot?" I definitely did this spur of the moment. I bring my camera with me wherever I go and I just happened to pass this at Belle Isle so I took a picture, would that be defined as a snap shot? So far I haven't posted any of my stuff that I've gone to photograph intentionally, for fear it will get negative comments on what I think is good, but I will eventually as I know it is necessary. Also, could you direct me to a good source of composition guidelines?

I would be glad to. I'm currently on my phone but I get home I'll post a few links and explain further.
 
Just curious why you have a watermark on your photo when you describe yourself as a noob?
 
Composition guidelines - here are a couple of references for you - hope this helps - you could start with - Advanced Composition -- Part I - there are two following web sites with the links at the end of the site. As well, have a look at this one - PhotographyComposition Articles Library as there are a number of links to sites on composition. There are a number of books that have been written on composition - you might want to look at one by Bryan Peterson called Learning to See Creatively - Amazon.com: Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color& Composition in Photography (Updated Edition) (9780817441814): BryanPeterson: Books. There are lots of others.

WesternGuy
 
Just curious why you have a watermark on your photo when you describe yourself as a noob?

Just because I'm a noob doesn't mean I can't protect my work. I'm new to photography, but quite experienced with Photoshop, thanks.
 
Nice links, I'll take a look at these too. :-)

I like to watermark also, not so much to protect photos (they can easily be removed with the right software I'm sure) but because I think it looks nice.
 
Composition guidelines - here are a couple of references for you - hope this helps - you could start with - Advanced Composition -- Part I - there are two following web sites with the links at the end of the site. As well, have a look at this one - PhotographyComposition Articles Library as there are a number of links to sites on composition. There are a number of books that have been written on composition - you might want to look at one by Bryan Peterson called Learning to See Creatively - Amazon.com: Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color& Composition in Photography (Updated Edition) (9780817441814): BryanPeterson: Books. There are lots of others.

WesternGuy

Thanks!! :D
 
Nice links, I'll take a look at these too. :-)

I like to watermark also, not so much to protect photos (they can easily be removed with the right software I'm sure) but because I think it looks nice.

True, I feel the same way.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom