AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR - MAXIMUM RANGE ??

michael.s.lindner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on what the maximum effective range when using this lens to photograph small wildlife, looking for about 2000 meter standoff? Thanks

I don't understand. What is 'maximum effective range' and '2000 meter standoff'?

I believe it focuses to infiniti ;)!

The longest lens I use is a 300 with a 1.4tc on a crop body. So its a 420 lens with a FOV of a 672mm. But when Im shooting small wildlife such as a cardinal I like to be between 12 and 15 feet away to get decent detail in the feathers. Hope this helps and maybe somone with that lens will be able to help out more.

2,000 meters is well over one mile in distance...somehow I think small wildlife is going to look pretty damned small,even with a 600mm lens.

On a DX camera the 600 mm will give you a FOV 2° 40' of arc wide, and on a FX camera the FOV will be 4° 10'of arc.

A standing person would look quite small in a 600 mm lens at 2 km, 1.25 miles away. I use a 500 mm lens to shoot adult players at the opposite end of a soccer pitch.

I recommend working on your field craft.

At 2000 meters, a 600mm lens on a full-frame Nikon camera will give you a field of view that would measure roughly 120 x 80 meters. On a DX, it will be 80 x 53.30 meters

I think the effective range question has been answered, my question is if you are photographing small animals (even as small as an elk) why can't you get closer than 2000 meters. I mean it doesn't even take much stalking skill to close that distance down to a few hundred meters or closer. At that point you are becoming much more effective with whatever you are using. Now I can see the problem if you are trying to take pictures of say, mountain goats where closing the 2000 meter difference from one mountain to another might take more than a day, however if that is you intention you may want to look into other equipment like a telescope or spotting scope you can mount your camera too in order to get the shot you are after, but that's just speculation on my behalf.

LOL! There is not a lot of wildlife larger than an elk. Elk are about as large as a moose.

When someone says 'small wildlife', I'm thinking birds and varmints.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any advice on what the maximum effective range when using this lens to photograph small wildlife, looking for about 2000 meter standoff? Thanks

Something the size of a rabbit - about 15-20 meters. I just mounted a 600mm and took a look see.

Keith, I'm thinking small wildlife at 2000 meters. I mean how the hell would you see a rabit at 2000 meters, even with a great spotting scope that is going to be difficult. So when that distance is given and "small wildlife" is suggested I just figured an elk would be small. Hell at over a mile in distance, everything is going to be small...oh well, if it was me I would just get closer.

WAIT...I got it, shooting elephants...those would be decent sized at 2000 meters!

Just for s & g's, I decided to see what focal length you would need to get a reasonably good frame on something the size of a cat from 2000 meters.

Turns out, a whopping 150,000mm lens will get you down to a field measuring 32 cm / 12½ in with a DX format camera.

*just points out that it could have been a typo and originally meant to have been 200meters*

Most reactions

New Topics

Back