AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR - MAXIMUM RANGE ??

Just for s & g's, I decided to see what focal length you would need to get a reasonably good frame on something the size of a cat from 2000 meters.

Turns out, a whopping 150,000mm lens will get you down to a field measuring 32 cm / 12½ in with a DX format camera.

That is freaking awsome, where would it be possible to get said lense?

Overread, even if it was a typo 200m is still just under 700ft, that's still really kinda far, especially for shooting "small" animals, if it were me, I would try to be inside 100 yards, but that's me and I grew up in the sticks of western pa and kinda redneckish...so that's just me.

I own a 600mm f5.6 ED manual focus lens, similar performance just one stop slower.

Maximum range is achieved when you use a 1.4, 1.7 or 2x teleconverter. I find that with the 2x teleconveter (1200mm) atmospheric issues are a bigger issue then lens performance. It's still razor sharp when shooting subjects just a couple hundred feet away, but it appears soft when shooting subjects 500m away.

This makes the teleconverter useful for shooting small subjects a few hundred feet away, but sort of pointless for shooting larger subjects further away--where 600mm would have likely given me maxiumum resolution anyway due to atmospheric issues.

................That is freaking awsome, where would it be possible to get said lense? ............

I'm sure with enough money, you could have one built. FWIW, the Hubble Space Telescope is a measly 57,600 mm.

Some ultrarich Sheikh ..i forget who..had Zeiss build him one. I think it was still *only* like a 2000mm or so. Konica made an 11/2000. Canon made a few enormo lenses too.

Some ultrarich Sheikh ..i forget who..had Zeiss build him one. I think it was still *only* like a 2000mm or so. Konica made an 11/2000. Canon made a few enormo lenses too.

I can put my Nikons on my Celestron 2000mm.

Does anyone have any advice on what the maximum effective range when using this lens to photograph small wildlife, looking for about 2000 meter standoff? Thanks

Shooting anything at 2000m with a 600mm lens is going to look like a speck. To give you some perspective, the brown heron below was shot with my 600mm Nikkor and a TC-300 (giving an effective 1200mm lens) at a range of about 50m. You can just imagine how small this heron would be were it 2000m away.

I would suggest you learn stalking skills and get within a reasonable distance, personally.

12657672-lg.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back