AIS Lens on 3100 for video?

gconnoyer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm selling my 24mm 2.8 AIS lens to my friend who has a 3100. He wants to use it for video, but when its attached sice its a FULL manual lens, the camera says "No lens attached"

Is there a way around this or does he need an electronic lens?

I can't say for video, but I use an AIS 105 micro on a D40. I get the "no lens" message and the meter doesn't work, but I can take photos in manual mode. I just guess at the aperture & speed, and fire off a couple of test shots. The rangefinder (green-dot) works for focus assistance.

Edit: Page 169 of D3100 owner's manual: AI-, AI-modified NIKKOR or Nikon Series E lenses usable in manual mode, manual focus, manual focus with electronic rangefinder (f/5.6 or faster); exposure indicator can not be used.

Last edited:
Yes. But there will be no metering. But this may be an advantage for video. i know at least with a D90 it was better to use older lenses that do not meter for video because when in liveview the camera takes over the exposure. In order to truely lock your exposure tyou would have to use AE-L before going into liveview and by having electronic contact with the lens you could trick your camera by AE-L locking at smaller apertures/longer shutterspeeds then once in liveview you could open up you aperture and keep a consistant video exposure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back