Alternative to 14-24mm 2.8g

How much are you looking to spend? Have you considered the Nikon 10-24?

It's never really a budget with me. But it looks like i have no other choice but to buy the 14-24.

The tokina 16-28 is suppose to be a great wide angle zoom lense.

Looks like a solid performer, but 16mm is just not wide enough.

Not in a crop sensor, but it is quite wide in a full frame.

16mm in a full frame has the same field of view of a "10.6mm" in a 1.5 crop sensor.

The 14-24mm in a full frame is the equivalent (in field of view) of a "9.3-16mm" in a crop sensor.

16mm in a full frame has the same field of view of a "10.6mm" in a 1.5 crop sensor.

The 14-24mm in a full frame is the equivalent (in field of view) of a "9.3-16mm" in a crop sensor.

Aww sorry I did not realize it was for crop body, probly should have read more of the thread before posting! :)

I am currently shooting with the Tokina 11-16 dxii and the lack of picture quality is something that is starting to bug me a lot now, because i shoot a lot of wide angle shots. I'm looking to get some better glass, i've thought about the 14-24 but i told myself that maybe i should consider alternatives, what alternative to the 14-24 2.8g would you recommend?
Stop shooting at 2.8 and try 5.6

You must realize that my Tokina 11-16 is a crop lens. These factors have all been considered.

First, keep in mind that the 14-24mm does not allow for screw-on filters. It has no filter threads, so if you want to use filters with the 14-24mm then you'll need to tack on another $200ish (I think) for a filter "adapter" setup and filters.

Second, the 14-24mm on your DX sensor will give you a field of view equivalent to 21-36mm on an FX sensor but will, obviously, revert to a 14-24mm when actually paired with an FX sensor. On the other hand, a 10-24mm on your DX sensor is going to give you a field of view equivalent to a 15-36mm on an FX sensor, and because it's a DX lens it's going to give you the same on FX. So it will give you a much wider FOV on your current camera.

Actually, this is correct. Put another way, if you take a 16mm FX lens and put it on a DX camera, it will give you the same FOV as a 24mm FX lens would on an FX camera. So the 14-24mm FX lens, when put on a DX camera, will actually give you the same FOV as a 21-36mm FX lens would on an FX camera.*

*bold text is corrected from my previous post, which sadly reflected my inability to read :(

Last edited:

Actually, this is incorrect. If you take a 16mm FX lens and put it on a DX camera, it will give you the same FOV as a 24mm FX lens would on an FX camera. So the 14-24mm FX lens, when put on a DX camera, will actually give you the same FOV as a 21-36mm FX lens would on an FX camera.

I know. Read again and I am sure you will understand my post.
What I said was that the 14-24mm lens in a full frame is the equivalent (in field of view) of a "9.3-16mm" lens in a crop sensor, if such a lens existed, got it? Same thing, but the other way around. Reverse thinking.

What I said was that the 14-24mm lens in a full frame is the equivalent (in field of view) of a "9.3-16mm" lens in a crop sensor, if such a lens existed, got it? Same thing, but the other way around. Reverse thinking.
My bad. It took me a couple tries but I totally get it now. Sorry about that. My excuse? I'm not good at reverse thinking.... :D

You must realize that my Tokina 11-16 is a crop lens. These factors have all been considered.

I know.
If you get a 14mm lens, and upgrade to a full frame, it will give you a FOV wider than a 11mm in a crop body.
You'd need a "9.3mm" lens in a crop body to get the same FOV of a 14mm in a full frame. So, if you plan to upgrade to a full frame, a 14mm or 16mm as your botton range will be very wide,

My bad. It took me a couple tries but I totally get it now. Sorry about that. My excuse? I'm not good at reverse thinking.... :D

;)
Come on, we all know you are! hehehe :D

I know.
If you get a 14mm lens, and upgrade to a full frame, it will give you a FOV wider than a 11mm in a crop body.
You'd need a "9.3mm" lens in a crop body to get the same FOV of a 14mm in a full frame. So, if you plan to upgrade to a full frame, a 14mm or 16mm as your botton range will be very wide,

I see what you mean.

I know.

I see what you mean.
FWIW - I had a D7K w/ a 10-24mm DX lens and loved that thing. I just switched over to a D600 and the 17-35mm, so I feel like I lost 2mm on the wide end. But honestly, I don't really notice it. Plus, I'd much rather have 2mm less on the wide end and still be able to use filters than not. Mind you, the 14-24mm is a damn good lens, from everything I've read. But I like playing w/ my 10-stop B+W ND filter too much to give it up. :D

I'll sleep on it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back