An attempt at product photos

2WheelPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm brand new to product but wanted to give it a try. I'm more comfortable shooting breathing people by far. Can anyone see an obvious pattern going on here where I'm going down the wrong path or can improve something? I figure 4 photos should point it out.

I know the pics aren't good because when I look at the products on line for sale the pics are MUCH better
bigthumb.gif

1) (the soft spot on the front is a real smear)
SRW_3661.jpg

2)
SRW_3689.jpg

3)
SRW_3676-2.jpg

4)
SRW_3177-Edit.jpg

5)
SRW_3156-Edit-Edit.jpg

My assistant gets credit for anything done right =)
SRW_3681.jpg

bump for a litle help?

Well, the first thing that jumps out at me is that the products are cut by your framing in almost all of the photos. The wine glass is quite nice as more of a stylistic product shot, but 1, 2 and 5's crops just aren't working for me.

3 Works better because of the orientation of the photo and less negative space. The exposure looks pretty decent on all of them though.

Thank you very much, I'll be practicing more and will work on that. I was hoping to hear some pattern that I can change rather than repeat on and on and I appreciate it.

The biggest thing I'd look out for is just watching your crops (and I don't mean plants). Once you conquer that, the lighting tweaks and whatnot should come pretty easy. You just need to be a little wider for some of these and they'll work better. :thumbup:

In addition to Tyler's comments, remember that in a product shot, the product needs to be identifiable, especially if it's something like hand-tools, which all look similar at a distance. The brand-name/trade-mark/logo, etc should always be clear and tack-sharp. For instance, in #s 2 & 3, if you had turned the wrench on it's "side" so that we could read "Craftsman" straight on, it would improve things greatly.

In addition to Tyler's comments, remember that in a product shot, the product needs to be identifiable, especially if it's something like hand-tools, which all look similar at a distance. The brand-name/trade-mark/logo, etc should always be clear and tack-sharp. For instance, in #s 2 & 3, if you had turned the wrench on it's "side" so that we could read "Craftsman" straight on, it would improve things greatly.

Thank you VERY much for that tip

#3 is wonderful!!!

#4 is lovely

In the #1, the background color is a bit offending...

Wish you all the best :D

Thanks, I was told by my professor that orange and a few other colors were toughest, and grey was the easiest and most flexible roll paper. So I just had to purchase the nasty orange! I hated it so much I put white paper over it for a few of the other shots =)

OK, hopefully I hit the name on the tool shot:
SRW_3784.jpg

And here is a crop of how I hit it with the lights
SRW_3784-2.jpg

And here is another random attempt, hopefully not cropped too tightly:
SRW_3804-Edit.jpg

I have a correction about my own comment; actually only half of the first image was open when i commented negative on the first image, regarding its orange; actually its fading effect down is really beautiful which really balances the deepness of the color towards top...actually i like that one now...and in the new set, i liked the third- since the box is open, you could have kept the flap up instead of pushing that down into box to add the element of naturality( otherwise you should have used a sealed box); the first two are not to my taste... to place the spanner vertically adds an element of artificiality

Regards :D

I've never been a fan of chrome on white; overall, too bright (Not your exposure, just the visual impact). Maybe on thunder grey? As far as the first wrench/socket shot goes, I'm seeing a bit of shadow under and left which tells me that (1) more diffusion material was needed and (2) possibly a second light image left might have helped. The name is legible now, but still not as distinct as it could be. That's something you'll have to sort out with lighting. Also watch the positioning of the socket; either make the size fully visible or turn it around so we can't see it at all. The sweetener shot is good (Pro tip: If you want to use household goods for practice, open them from the bottom so the top stays clean and neat); I really like the graduation from orange-ish to white-ish, but I think the white might be just a tad hot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back