Are most photographers snobs?

Yemme

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Please answer honestly your opinion. :hugs: To all the kind ones.

What is it that makes one look down on a novice when every one began at the same place? The bottom.

Is the industry that jam-packed and no one wants to make room for another photographer?

How does one decide who’s worthy?

Many enthusiasts and pros have done their homework. They have joined camera clubs, read a considerable number of books, subscribed to photo magazines, took courses, learned from others etc. Most of us were sufficiently realistic to realize that we were not instant photographers and that a lot of hard work was involved to come even close to quality work. Even after several years or decades of experience most of us were still willing to listen to valid comments and criticism.You cannot imagine how negative our attitude is toward newbies with arrogant philosophies about the nature of photography and photographic art based on NO study, and NO experience. Newbies asking the MOST BASIC of questions, because they have not done any reading of anything about photography whatsoever, even the camera manual. Newbies who think that there are no criteria or "rules" for judging the quality of photographic work and that their views are just as valid as someone with several years of study and experience. Newbies who may want to be spoon fed, but are really not willing to put forth much of an effort to really learn about photography. Newbies who don't realize that personal opinion about a photo is just that and varies considerably from the critique of someone with lots of experience who knows how photos are professionally judged.Why should dedicated pros and enthusiasts tolerate what often amounts to laziness, lack of effort to learn, and arrogant stupidity by a growing number of newbies that express those traits?skieur

I don't look down on novices at all, unless they want to be spoon-fed information people have spent years working out, without bothering to put a single bit of effort into it themselves; people who think they can become great photographers from a few posts on the internet, but haven't taken the time to grasp the most basic of concepts before jumping straight into creating a new topic asking for information that's in the manual, or information nobody but themselves can tell them.

And that applies to all hobbies, not just photography.

If someone is new but has taken the time to do some research for themselves and shows a genuine willingness to learn, then I will have all the time in the world for them.

So it isn't newness that bothers me — it's laziness. This forum has a working search function, yet we see exactly the same threads popping up every single day. I hope I don't come across as a snob, but I just ignore them. Why bother repeating something that has been written a thousand times?

:thumbup:+1

It's not such a good thing to have some one walk you through a maze. You seldom learn anything lasting, have little appreciation for the work that has gone on before and are not as likely to keep with something that has come so easily.

Having said that I'll have to admit that there are snobs and then there are snobs. The first kind won't answer questions about settings with out trying to explain why those settings work. The second won't answer questions about settings at all. ;)

I was about to post something similar but narrow down the spectrum.

I add to your question: "Are all Canon 5D owners totally unlikeable ****ers?" Ok admittedly the ones on this forum are nice :)

But our photo club was going just fine till along came 2 5D owners, who spend more time masturbating over the fact that they've had a full frame sensor for x number of years, and that the rest of the Canon crowd are better than Nikon simply because Canon manufactured a full frame sensor for longer and rant rant rant. I also liked the one where he said Nikon was useless because Canon has f/1.2 lenses in it's lineup. I pulled out my Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 and kindly pointed out that Nikon made one two, and made one first.

In reality I should have just used the large front element to break his nose.

Much more so now than ever.

Why?

Because there are so many "photographers" since the digital age that many feel the need to set them apart as "better" than everyone else.

Back in film days, photography was a bit of a hassle. Cost of film. Time effort to develope. Time effort to print. >>NO INSTANT GRATIFICATION<<. As such, only the people whose interest in photography outweighed the "hassle" stuck around long enough to consider themselves photographers. The "population" was smaller more selective and a larger percentage were truly passionate and could care less about snobbery.... it still existed but to a lesser extent

The big push for digital in marketing also didn't help.... so much focus on what the equipment can do and not what it can enable a photographer to accomplish.

Now I"m not saying this is a bad thing.. I think the sudden climb of interest in photography is great and digital technology is a direct result. I like it when people stop me to ask questions for the sake of learning. You gotta take the good and bad together.

That's just my observation...

Honestly it is generalizations like amateur and pro, newb and expert or whatever that kill photography. Photography is a personal journey. First and foremost it comes down to the work that you currently shoot. Maybe it is quality, maybe it needs work. In any case concentrate on making your photos stronger as opposed trying to figure out who is worthy or not.

To answer the question that I think you are posing: professional photography is like swimming with sharks. If you take the art seriously you will find your audience. If you keep asking questions you will sink.

Love & Bass

Are yewwwwwwww talking to meee? Please. Go back and get at lest 10Mp before you even think of breathing my air!

Yemme Wrote:
Please answer honestly your opinion. :hugs: To all the kind ones.

• What is it that makes one look down on a novice when every one began at the same place? The bottom.
    • Frustration at not being able to communicate.
    • Fear of being found incompetent.
    • Small weenie?

The topic specifies photographers though and there's probably less snobbery among photographers than many other professions. Photographers usually love to share and include others.

• Is the industry that jam-packed and no one wants to make room for another photographer?
    Did you get slammed recently by some jerk or something? Shine him on! He's a loser! Competition is what it is and is as it is in every profession. Photography is no more or less so.

• How does one decide who&#8217;s worthy?
    Usually yourself. If others disagree you'll find out soon enough. At that point reevaluation may be needed.

Thanks guys!

Now, my question for how one decides who's worthy, I got a response for that but I was thinking more along the lines of &#8220;popularity.&#8221; I've seen images from people who are not famous. The imagery is captivating just breathtaking. Then there are other&#8217;s who&#8217;s um&#8230;mmmm&#8230; images ah look like garbage (said in a French accent). Now my eyes are new to the photography world. But I bet even if it wasn&#8217;t it would still look like trash. I know how it works in the painting and sculpting world but I would think photography would be different. Is it still all about who knows you and whom you know? Don&#8217;t hold back if you understand where I&#8217;m coming from.

Back in film days, photography was a bit of a hassle. Cost of film. Time effort to develope. Time effort to print. >>NO INSTANT GRATIFICATION<<. As such, only the people whose interest in photography outweighed the "hassle" stuck around long enough to consider themselves photographers. The "population" was smaller more selective and a larger percentage were truly passionate and could care less about snobbery.... it still existed but to a lesser extent

This explains a great deal.

Last edited:
Is the industry that jam-packed and no one wants to make room for another photographer?
Did you get slammed recently by some jerk or something? Shine him on! He's a loser! Competition is what it is and is as it is in every profession. Photography is no more or less so.

No hun... I'm just someone who likes photography but I'm very observant and I get the feeling that people become a little agitated when another photographer is added to the pool. I'm not a photographer I'm just a girl with a camera:lol:. I enjoy it that&#8217;s all.

OK, when you say you're "observant" and get these feelings, do you mean in your off-line social circles or with on-line stuff?

If it's with on-line stuff I've found that my own feelings and fears determine a huge amount of how I interoperate "the attitude" of whoever it is I'm reading. Especially if they aren't that good of a communicator in the first place - which is probably most of us.

In my off-line life, I have been confronted with the instant clamming-up (and/or becoming arrogant) of other photographers before. Both the persons I am thinking of are professionals, pay their monthly bills out of their photography business alone, and may use cameras classes better than mine. And someone like me is all unlikely to put up any kind of THREAT to them!

However, the one - who I once asked if I could assist him on weddings just so I can see how things work - preferred not to like me instantly and to only say hallo to me with a painful look in his eyes when we meet. And the other, a sports photographer for a newspaper, felt the instant need to explain to me that without turfing out thousands of Euro on equipment first, one would not be able to work as a pro, ever.

Shrug!

I hope you're not 2 for 2. That would totally suck! I'm sorry to hear you got a couple of bad ones there. With me, I've been pretty lucky. I'm very often invited into studios, to accompany/observe shoots (if it isn't going to be too hectic), or attend gallery showings/exhibits. I guess it could be because of my known contacts with filmmakers here and it's just that they're hoping for a little kick-down - but it mostly didn't seem that way to me.

I add to your question: "Are all Canon 5D owners totally unlikeable ****ers?" Ok admittedly the ones on this forum are nice :)

Your story is quite sad, but I would not make the full frame responsible. I as a 5D shooter am often confronted by Nikon-shooters, quite aggressively. Even on the streets, total strangers. Usually I try to ignore them. Same at work, the small group of people liking photography, thinking about composition and all, are shooting Canon, whereas the gearheads mainly shoot Nikon.

So I have to ask "Are all Nikon owners totally unlikeable ****ers?" :lmao: Got my point? ;) Not making this up ...

Most reactions

Back