Are my photos good enough to start charging for sessions?

... I practice shooting something new every day. Thank you for the advice and encouragement!
This sounds like it might be part of the issue; using the 'shotgun' approach. Rather than trying something new each day, make a list of priorities, and get the basics of them down; such things as (in no particular order): Using a reflector, posing, off-camera flash... I don't mean shoot only that to the exclusion of all else, rather concentrate on it. For instance, composition is something you can practice every single time you capture an image, posing, even if it's just a happy snap of your children, take an extra second or two and give them a little direction.The problem with photography is that it's actually work. Just like a carpenter doesn't learn to make perfect crosscuts without spending a lot of time turning boards into sawdust, we can't learn our craft without a lot of images consigned to the circular file!

One of the primary differences between a "Pro" and "Hobbyist" is consistency. A pro will consistency capture pro-level images on every assignment/job.

This...well except some of us non-working professionals may take exception.

Consistency is difficult for many because it requires an intimate relationship with your equipment and a broad understanding and ability to see the light.

Can you charge? Like said, I've seen worse. Should you charge? My opinion is that nobody should be charging anyone before they're a Master of photography, but that's just my opinion.
The reason I asked is because I don't want to sell anything that the potential client would be disappointed with. Especially, in regards to children. These are moments that the parents want to be able to hold onto for a lifetime and I wouldn't consider it morally/ethically sound to ask for money while not being able to deliver a satisfactory product. I also want to be proud of the work I'm doing. :D Thanks for the advice!

Capturing the moment and the emotion counts for more when charging for photos. Go ahead and do it.
Thank you so much! That's just what I needed to hear. :D
Ignore the naysayers. I would rather buy your photos that capture the feeling than those boring sharp school day photo crap that some people here produce.
Clients honestly can't tell a technically perfect photo from one with a few flaws. They really want to capture the happiness they feel when the see their kid.
Want to get into the business? Focus on the soft skills, the people skills. Understand your client needs (not just what they say). Learn to package your product. Learn to show interest when they tell you what photos they'd like. Bring treats for the kids (with the parents permission). Connect with your subject.

Sell the experience.
People are more likely to buy photos if they enjoyed the process. Rather than "good" photos and they hated every minute of the shoot.

You'll do far better than the boring formal portrait crowd.
I really do appreciate all your kind words! I know I have some technical aspects to brush up on but I am really just trying to capture the moment. I want my photos to elicit an emotional response. I want something the parents can look back on and smile at years from now. The reason I even asked is because I don't want to feel that I'm ripping people off. I honestly do appreciate those who have been constructive in their responses.

I have to agree with Tirediron's comments about the photographic and compositional technique these two pictures display. Assuming these are two of your better images, I would imagine that others are less successful than these two frames. I will pass along one tip for photographing smaller children: working at these distances with that lens at such wide f/stops is a recipe for many, many reject shots, as far as focus goes. These have the bare minimum of depth of field; closing down to f/3.5 and finding/setting up less-distracting backgrounds would be a smart strategy for avoiding shots that must be rejected due to slight focusing errors under real-world conditions.

Photographing smaller children of this age is, as you know, hard work! They move! They don't follow many directions! Focus and recompose at this range is **inaccurate as heck** if you are using the center AF square. At 7 to 10 feet at f/2 or so, the edges of the frame and the center of the frame are at different distances; distances which will exceed the DOF band of a lens shot at wide f/stops, and that's where/why a good number of missed focus shots can occur. At f/3.5 or at f/4, the overall net DOF at this camera-to-subject and subject-to-background range will be "similar", but there will be just enough additional DOF to make a keeper out of what would easily have been an f/2 but rejected image.

I dislike rendering opinions of peoples' skill level based on two, individual photos of related children who appear to maybe be the OP's own offspring. Two shots is not a lot to go on, but it can reveal a few things, but it's not the ideal way to evaluate a photographer. If we saw 100 of your photos, we could probably form better opinions, and spot trends, and patterns, and better evaluate the overall skill level you are currently at to a better degree than we can from seeing only these two shots.

I don't have a ton of portraits to show you guys yet.
That is a telling statement to me. In addition to what has already been said, when one is ready to charge, especially in the portrait world one needs to be able to produce a multitude of sell-able images with each shoot. Not everyone will be that golden image, but the majority should be good enough to be worthy of display.

My photos are very consistent in exposure and focus. But I am aware that I have to brush up on the composition. Thanks for the advice!

I think you have already said you want to concentrate on portraiture, so do that. Do nothing but portraiture. Learn the technical aspects of portrait photography. Read up on posing, lighting, photographing particular body types, learn makeup (or hire it done) hairstyling (at least well enough so you can criticize the MUA when they mess up). Buy, rent, borrow or steal lighting equipment. Hire, trick, or coerce friends, family, neighbors, or strangers as you models. They will get tired of posing, so you'll have to develop a steady supply of replacements ready to be drafted. Go to your portfolio and delete everything that is not a portrait. Still life and landscape is irrelevant here.

Last edited:
I do have consistent shots as far as exposure and focus but now that I'm looking through them I see that the majority aren't level and have distracting backgrounds. I thought it added to the overall photo but I see the pros disagree. Thanks to everyone who has provided actual learning opportunities. I'll be back soon with updates. View attachment 135286

We're all here to help you grow. We've all been where you are.

Keep coming back, getting c&c, putting it to use. It's a never ending cycle. Keep your nose in a book or a YouTube video. Aim to learn something new about photography daily.

You clearly have a passion. You have potential. It just takes time and work.
Thank you, thank you! I am putting in some work today! :D

I'm agreeable.

I think you have already said you want to concentrate on portraiture, so do that. Do nothing but portraiture. Learn the technical aspects of portrait photography. Read up on posing, lighting, photographing particular body types, learn makeup (or hire it done) hairstyling (at least well enough so you can criticize the MUA when they mess up). Buy, rent, borrow or steal lighting equipment. Hire, trick, or coerce friends, family, neighbors, or strangers as you models. They will get tired of posing, so you'll have to develop a steady supply of replacements ready to be drafted. Go to your portfolio and delete everything that is not a portrait. Still life and landscape is irrelevant here.
Hire, trick, or coerce friends, family, neighbors, or strangers as you models.
^^^ I think this is the best tip I've gotten so far. :D

Sell the experience.
I once worked for a man who was a terrible designer, but he always had new clients because he could sell his services to the next unwitting client. It was always a new client, never a repeat client.
And I don't want that. I want my potential clients to come back and see their child grow; through my lens.

And I don't want that. I want my potential clients to come back and see their child grow; through my lens.
Without showing too much rancor in my posts, I occasionally will be highly critical of poor advice. That's what that was. You're doing just fine.

... I practice shooting something new every day. Thank you for the advice and encouragement!
This sounds like it might be part of the issue; using the 'shotgun' approach. Rather than trying something new each day, make a list of priorities, and get the basics of them down; such things as (in no particular order): Using a reflector, posing, off-camera flash... I don't mean shoot only that to the exclusion of all else, rather concentrate on it. For instance, composition is something you can practice every single time you capture an image, posing, even if it's just a happy snap of your children, take an extra second or two and give them a little direction.The problem with photography is that it's actually work. Just like a carpenter doesn't learn to make perfect crosscuts without spending a lot of time turning boards into sawdust, we can't learn our craft without a lot of images consigned to the circular file!
When I said new; I meant new settings. I have taken note of your critique and plan to focus on composition and to try to find new areas to take photos. I don't want to do studio portrait photography; my photographer works outdoors and I like the feel of those better. I have a friend who is successful that started out doing event photography; and studio portraiture. But that isn't what I want. This is the style I'm after.
christmas-mini-kiersten-grant-photography-60.jpg

Sell the experience.
I once worked for a man who was a terrible designer, but he always had new clients because he could sell his services to the next unwitting client. It was always a new client, never a repeat client.

Not exactly a long term sustainable business model. For most photographers, your bread and butter comes from loyal repeat customers.
That's what I'm going for. I think chuasam was just concerned that I might be discouraged. I'm not. I'm not trying to start a "get rich quick" scheme. It's a passion first and foremost; I want to be proud of the work I do. And while some of the comments were a bit scathing; I have thick skin. I believe in myself; and I'm here because I want the advice of people that know what they're talking about. I saw a similar thread from someone asking the same question and he ended up saying he would stick to his day job. Lol. Well I'm not quitting my day job just yet; but sooooon. Lol :D

One of the primary differences between a "Pro" and "Hobbyist" is consistency. A pro will consistency capture pro-level images on every assignment/job.

This...well except some of us non-working professionals may take exception.

Consistency is difficult for many because it requires an intimate relationship with your equipment and a broad understanding and ability to see the light.

Can you charge? Like said, I've seen worse. Should you charge? My opinion is that nobody should be charging anyone before they're a Master of photography, but that's just my opinion.
The reason I asked is because I don't want to sell anything that the potential client would be disappointed with. Especially, in regards to children. These are moments that the parents want to be able to hold onto for a lifetime and I wouldn't consider it morally/ethically sound to ask for money while not being able to deliver a satisfactory product. I also want to be proud of the work I'm doing. :D Thanks for the advice!
Even McDonald's charges for their burgers.
What you create has value. If you want to practice, shoot for a charity or cause you care about and then get a tax donation credit for the equivalent value of your work.

Find something you really care about and go photograph that.
You have some issues with cropping but you can easily get past that with more practice.

If you think you're a master at your work it means that you're just complacent and will be stuck at that level for all eternity.

Find your style, find your unique vision. Sell that.

I have to agree with Tirediron's comments about the photographic and compositional technique these two pictures display. Assuming these are two of your better images, I would imagine that others are less successful than these two frames. I will pass along one tip for photographing smaller children: working at these distances with that lens at such wide f/stops is a recipe for many, many reject shots, as far as focus goes. These have the bare minimum of depth of field; closing down to f/3.5 and finding/setting up less-distracting backgrounds would be a smart strategy for avoiding shots that must be rejected due to slight focusing errors under real-world conditions.

Photographing smaller children of this age is, as you know, hard work! They move! They don't follow many directions! Focus and recompose at this range is **inaccurate as heck** if you are using the center AF square. At 7 to 10 feet at f/2 or so, the edges of the frame and the center of the frame are at different distances; distances which will exceed the DOF band of a lens shot at wide f/stops, and that's where/why a good number of missed focus shots can occur. At f/3.5 or at f/4, the overall net DOF at this camera-to-subject and subject-to-background range will be "similar", but there will be just enough additional DOF to make a keeper out of what would easily have been an f/2 but rejected image.

I dislike rendering opinions of peoples' skill level based on two, individual photos of related children who appear to maybe be the OP's own offspring. Two shots is not a lot to go on, but it can reveal a few things, but it's not the ideal way to evaluate a photographer. If we saw 100 of your photos, we could probably form better opinions, and spot trends, and patterns, and better evaluate the overall skill level you are currently at to a better degree than we can from seeing only these two shots.

I don't have a ton of portraits to show you guys yet.
That is a telling statement to me. In addition to what has already been said, when one is ready to charge, especially in the portrait world one needs to be able to produce a multitude of sell-able images with each shoot. Not everyone will be that golden image, but the majority should be good enough to be worthy of display.

My photos are very consistent in exposure and focus. But I am aware that I have to brush up on the composition. Thanks for the advice!
Consistent in exposure and focus are nice but not interesting. I think you have received some good advise. Learn the finer details of portrait photography. Most people have an eye for finding a pleasing aspect of a subject. The photographers that are successful in the business of photograph have the ability to see the entire photo before it is taken. The devil is in the details.

I wish you didnt show the second set. I wont answer the OP question besides saying that.

You've received a lot of good advice above, if you want to start a business, no amount of internet wisdom will help you.

Make a plan. Then make another. Buy a few books related to your plan, get the gear, register the business, get insurance, get a lawyer, banker and accountant. Then if you still have it, the drive, do it.

If you have 0 business experience, get professional help, take a course or two or three on business.
Oh goodness. Well thanks for the "advice". :D

Your welcome.

Whats wrong with that post? .... Show lifestyle and portraits if thats what you want to work on.

Books and professional business advice will go a long way. If you don't like that " advice" then you are biund to fail. Also, creative live, if you havent heard of that it is the best online learning tool I've seen.

Once again, your welcome. Wether you chiose to go to Creative Live dot com or not is up to you. Accountant, lawyer, banker, all on you.

Cant take advice, well...

"Hey man nice shot" is all you'll get.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back