asked to stop taking pics

maverickphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went downtown last night to take some pics of buildings. I was taken a pic of a building and 2 bike sercrity guys come up and told me I couldnt take pics of the building. I asked why and they said due to security reasons. Ok I dont get it? Its just a office building. I told them whats the difference if i took them at night or came down during the day and was walking around with the other hunderds of people and took pics? Or what about the pics of the city skyline that shows the building? They kinda ignored me and told me to just not take any. Theres nothing posted about not to take pics of the building. Can they do this or do I have rights? I think they were board and just wanted to mess with me. I'll post the pics tonight when i get home.

jason

I think (but I'm no attorney) that you are perfectly justified taking pix of the building if you are standing in a public spot. If you were actually inside the building or on their property, they would have the right to ask you to stop.

i used to work in a bank sand we had to be cautous of people taking pics of it incase they were planning to rob it, how ever I think if you were on public property (and thats hard to find nowadays) you were allowed to be there.

If you are on public property they can not tell you to stop. "Security reasons" is a copout. Unless the building is a protected government facility (Pentagon and the like) there is absolutely nothing security risky about it they don't have the right to tell you otherwise. You are well within your rights to potograph any building you want from the sidewalk, Goventment facilities can do just that but I do not know to what extent any more.

Step on to their property thay can ask you to stop and leave but untill then there is nothing they can do.

There have been several discussions on this topic, try a search.

Generally, the consensus is that it's legal for you to take photos while you are on public property...which would mean that the security guards are in the wrong. However, you have to consider how much trouble it would be, to fight about your rights at that time. It may be best to just pack up and move on. But if you are the type to stand up for your rights, no matter what...then you could ask the guards to site rules or regulations as to why you aren't allowed to take photos...you could even tell them to call the police if they like...because if you are in the right, a police officer should back you up...but there is no guaranty that the cop will be any less ignorant of your rights, than the security guards.

I carry a copy of this wherever I go:

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

I am not a lawyer, but everything I've read says you have full legal rights to take pictures of any building visible from public spaces, period. I happen to do a lot of this, and it does come up quite frequently.

I'd just move on. There are other buildings.

What city are you in? There have been alot of similar stories coming out of NYC.

I always carry the rights in my camera bag. It's saved me many times, the security end up walking away shamefully.

There have been several discussions on this topic, try a search.

Generally, the consensus is that it's legal for you to take photos while you are on public property...which would mean that the security guards are in the wrong. However, you have to consider how much trouble it would be, to fight about your rights at that time. It may be best to just pack up and move on. But if you are the type to stand up for your rights, no matter what...then you could ask the guards to site rules or regulations as to why you aren't allowed to take photos...you could even tell them to call the police if they like...because if you are in the right, a police officer should back you up...but there is no guaranty that the cop will be any less ignorant of your rights, than the security guards.
Fight for what? What would the fighting be about? They are rent-a-cops of the building and you are on public property. They can't arrest you. They can't detain you. And when they touch you or your possessions, is that not grounds for a lawsuit, and a lawsuit that you should have no problem with winning?

Since security personnel have no authority over anything other than being able to kick you off of the property if you are on it, there would be no fighting involved. Let the security personnel stand there and ignore them while continuing to take photos, what are they going to do? I'm sure they are smart enough not to attempt to touch someone or someone's possessions in any way unless the person was on the property.

The security personnel's telling someone they can't take photographs is just a mild intimidation tactic that the majority of the population would say, "Oh, I didn't know..." and discontinue without standing up. What would happen if you do stand up? I wouldn't think anything would happen as I said, I would assume they are smart enough to know that there's nothing they can do when the person is not on the property.

Since security personnel have no authority over anything other than being able to kick you off of the property if you are on it.

They were not even security for the building. They went across the street to a hotel parking lot. Heres the pics I did take. I was just getting started when they stoped me. I have'nt had time yet to play with them in photoshop but heres the rough versions.
CopyofDowntown001.jpg

CopyofDowntown002.jpg

I plan on going back tomorrow night with a copy of my rights in hand. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back