Attempting a People for the First Time

NickJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have done a lot of inanimate objects up to now (mostly vehicles, and some products), but an actor friend of mine asked to do a shoot with him. These are a few of my favorites. I had some lighter ones that he used as head shots. Thoughts are welcome.

1. Crop
$CKFinals-73.jpg

2. No crop
$CKFinals-77.jpg

$CKFinals-83.jpg

4. First attempt at Fill Flash. I can say that I don't like it.
$CKFinals-87.jpg

very good start but some issues.
#1 (and #2)- what's good is detail and dof, it looks rotated to me and there is a strange mixed lighting - magenta hue that is hard to correct.
his face is a bit too dark for my taste and his eyes are way too dark.

#3, lower the brightness on the suitcases and his pants (so it doesn't look like a commercial for suitcases) and this will be a real keeper, I think
#4 framed off to one side with some strange blur on the right.

$CKFinals-73llllll.jpg

Can't comment with any accuracy on the lighting/colour while using this particular monitor. In addition to Lew's points, my one thought would be, if you're shooting headshots, try for a plainer, less distracting background. There is a lot of detail in the lockers behind him that's competing for the eye's attention. #3 is a great shot!

Great feedback. Thank you.

I like the darker feel of these, and that is what I was going for. Sounds like I hit the mark with that. The location is a working dilapidated steel mill. Fits.

As for his head shots, I used a much lighter area, rendering a much lighter feel. They were not my favorite of the set, but my they were his because that is what he was looking for. We had different intensions for the shoot, but I gave him what he wanted while still being able to get what I wanted. Side note, he got a part in a movie being shot here (a "Special Agent in Charge") based off the shots that he submitted.

And I like that the head is off just a little. That is the way he stands. To compensate for his "flaw" would be like shopping out a mole. I see where you are coming from, but with the rotation of the shot, I do nothing but stare at the lines in the lockers and think the photo is off.

Worked on the 3rd image a little.

$CKFinal-1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back